[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Play the Blues - rhahl - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:50pm
 
Bring Back the New RP Fonts! - Red_Dragon - Apr 10, 2021 - 3:36pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Apr 10, 2021 - 2:37pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 12:01pm
 
New Music - R_P - Apr 10, 2021 - 11:30am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Apr 10, 2021 - 9:38am
 
Media Bias - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 9:13am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Apr 10, 2021 - 6:18am
 
Live Music - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 5:53am
 
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes) - rhahl - Apr 10, 2021 - 5:27am
 
Economix - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:50am
 
A Brave Woman - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:44am
 
Race in America - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:22am
 
Freedom of speech? - sirdroseph - Apr 10, 2021 - 4:11am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 9, 2021 - 9:05pm
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Apr 9, 2021 - 8:30pm
 
So, where do you go, what happens? - oldviolin - Apr 9, 2021 - 6:15pm
 
Automotive Lust - R_P - Apr 9, 2021 - 3:07pm
 
MQA Stream Coming to BLUOS - scoots_mcgoo - Apr 9, 2021 - 3:05pm
 
Funny Videos - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 9, 2021 - 2:56pm
 
First World Problems - Lindo525 - Apr 9, 2021 - 2:45pm
 
COVID-19 - miamizsun - Apr 9, 2021 - 2:22pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - haresfur - Apr 9, 2021 - 12:47pm
 
Immigration - black321 - Apr 9, 2021 - 12:04pm
 
LeftWingNutZ - sirdroseph - Apr 9, 2021 - 10:47am
 
The War On You - sirdroseph - Apr 9, 2021 - 8:44am
 
Things You Thought Today - oldviolin - Apr 9, 2021 - 8:34am
 
Trump - R_P - Apr 9, 2021 - 7:21am
 
Dialing 1-800-Manbird - miamizsun - Apr 9, 2021 - 4:49am
 
Joe Biden - sirdroseph - Apr 9, 2021 - 4:08am
 
What Did You Do Today? - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 8, 2021 - 9:36pm
 
KEEP YOUR MONEY! - haresfur - Apr 8, 2021 - 2:37pm
 
Recommended documentaries - Red_Dragon - Apr 8, 2021 - 2:24pm
 
partial incompatibility with Symantec's Moon Mind2? - BillG - Apr 8, 2021 - 9:51am
 
What Makes You Cry :) ? - miamizsun - Apr 8, 2021 - 7:50am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Apr 8, 2021 - 5:09am
 
Things that make you go Hmmmm..... - sirdroseph - Apr 8, 2021 - 5:06am
 
True Confessions - oldviolin - Apr 7, 2021 - 10:36pm
 
A designers worst nightmare - kcar - Apr 7, 2021 - 10:00pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - geoff_morphini - Apr 7, 2021 - 9:34pm
 
Beer - GeneP59 - Apr 7, 2021 - 10:29am
 
Breaking News - Red_Dragon - Apr 7, 2021 - 10:00am
 
Philosophy (Meaty Metaphysical Munchables!) - cc_rider - Apr 7, 2021 - 8:08am
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - rhahl - Apr 7, 2021 - 6:22am
 
Questions. - R_P - Apr 6, 2021 - 8:07pm
 
Unusual News - haresfur - Apr 6, 2021 - 5:15pm
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - kcar - Apr 6, 2021 - 4:15pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - GeneP59 - Apr 6, 2021 - 2:58pm
 
workplaces that work - sirdroseph - Apr 6, 2021 - 4:05am
 
And the good news is.... - haresfur - Apr 5, 2021 - 8:50pm
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Apr 5, 2021 - 5:32pm
 
RP via Bluesound - Lagging - jarro - Apr 5, 2021 - 4:33pm
 
In My Room - kcar - Apr 5, 2021 - 2:50pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 5, 2021 - 11:23am
 
Republican Party - Red_Dragon - Apr 5, 2021 - 10:33am
 
Israel - westslope - Apr 5, 2021 - 7:22am
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Apr 4, 2021 - 11:09am
 
What the hell OV? - oldviolin - Apr 4, 2021 - 8:10am
 
RP song titles in cache - conkyjoe - Apr 4, 2021 - 7:37am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - Blackbirds - Apr 4, 2021 - 6:07am
 
Iphone app "my favourites" - BillG - Apr 3, 2021 - 9:14pm
 
FLAC Streaming - jarro - Apr 3, 2021 - 1:04pm
 
Latin Music - R_P - Apr 3, 2021 - 12:03pm
 
MIXES - miamizsun - Apr 3, 2021 - 6:33am
 
Electronic Music - Manbird - Apr 2, 2021 - 7:44pm
 
Derplahoma! - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 2, 2021 - 1:31pm
 
Best Radio Station in the World - KurtfromLaQuinta - Apr 2, 2021 - 12:54pm
 
Dance with me - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Apr 2, 2021 - 12:45pm
 
Propaganda - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 2, 2021 - 10:39am
 
Get the Quote - black321 - Apr 2, 2021 - 9:04am
 
Iran - Red_Dragon - Apr 2, 2021 - 7:41am
 
Asian Song - sirdroseph - Apr 2, 2021 - 4:48am
 
What's that smell? - kcar - Apr 2, 2021 - 2:16am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - Manbird - Apr 1, 2021 - 7:05pm
 
April Fool's Day - BlueHeronDruid - Apr 1, 2021 - 5:58pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Bernie Sanders Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post to this Topic
KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 4:29pm


Bye bye Bernie!
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Apr 8, 2020 - 3:31pm

Bernie Sanders Was Right
Goodbye to an honest man’s campaign.
(...) There is so little freedom in the world. Even here, now, in our celebrated liberal democracy, social mobility is incredibly limited compared with that in countries of comparable development, and there appears to be very little we can do about it. One freedom that cannot be taken from you is your freedom not to like the status quo — your freedom to be angry, disaffected, unimpressed, your refusal to be cajoled, soothed or consoled with small tokens of influence devoid of real power. Mr. Sanders, ill tempered and impatient with pleasantries, embodied that freedom, and he offered it to you.

None of this means you will get what you want, in politics or in life: Mr. Sanders did not win, after all. But he never lied, and he never pretended to like what is so clearly detestable or attempted to persuade any one of us that we ought to like it either. He was right to the end, and he refused to reconcile himself to the forces that eventually overtook him. It is hard to see him go. But there is at least some dignity in it.

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 12:45pm

Someone ended up at the wrong rally...

Isabeau

Isabeau Avatar

Location: sou' tex
Gender: Female


Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 7:59am



 steeler wrote:


 rgio wrote:


 steeler wrote:

Vote Libertarian or other third party, sure. Not voting does nothing; accomplishes nothing. 
 
I agree with the sentiment, but voting for a candidate that isn't viable is the same as not voting.  In our current system, the only way to have an impact is to either vote for....or against...one of the two candidates who have a chance of winning.

 
A vote for a third party, under present circumstances, is of no consequence in the election at hand for the reasons you state. The value of such a vote is to promote the viability of third parties for future elections. The more votes a third-party candidate garners, the more attention is drawn to the idea of voting for third parties. A seed might be planted.   I have voted for third-party candidates with that idea in mind.

That said, I would not even consider voting for a third party in November. The imperative is getting rid of Trump — before it is too late for our democracy.







 


steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 7:04am



 rgio wrote:


 steeler wrote:

Vote Libertarian or other third party, sure. Not voting does nothing; accomplishes nothing. 
 
I agree with the sentiment, but voting for a candidate that isn't viable is the same as not voting.  In our current system, the only way to have an impact is to either vote for....or against...one of the two candidates who have a chance of winning.

 
A vote for a third party, under present circumstances, is of no consequence in the election at hand for the reasons you state. The value of such a vote is to promote the viability of third parties for future elections. The more votes a third-party candidate garners, the more attention is drawn to the idea of voting for third parties. A seed might be planted.   I have voted for third-party candidates with that idea in mind.

That said, I would not even consider voting for a third party in November. The imperative is getting rid of Trump — before it is too late for our democracy.






rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 6:43am



 steeler wrote:

Vote Libertarian or other third party, sure. Not voting does nothing; accomplishes nothing. 
 
I agree with the sentiment, but voting for a candidate that isn't viable is the same as not voting.  In our current system, the only way to have an impact is to either vote for....or against...one of the two candidates who have a chance of winning.

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 5:33am



 sirdroseph wrote:
 kcar wrote:


Read what I just posted. I prematurely posted by error and didn't include all the news article excerpts.
Trump visited the USS Arizona Memorial 3 years ago. He laid a wreath, bowed his head and tweeted about the visit—"Remember #PearlHarbor. Remember the @USSArizona! A day I'll never forget."

One year after that and he's at USS Arizona memorial again—but he had to ask John Kelly "Hey, John, what’s this all about? What’s this a tour of?” 

That's not being an idiot. That's being demented. 

 
Could be.  If so looks like we are guaranteed to have a mentally disabled President.  Yay two party duopoly!
{#Lol}
  Voting Libertarian has never been so easy or even not voting at all, I think we are there now.  It's all good in the hood. 
{#Meditate}
  Politics are very much like viruses.  It is all up to us, government is not going to save us. Be independent, get yourself right.  Bon Apetit.
 

Vote Libertarian or other third party, sure. Not voting does nothing; accomplishes nothing. 
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 4:54am

 kcar wrote:


Read what I just posted. I prematurely posted by error and didn't include all the news article excerpts.
Trump visited the USS Arizona Memorial 3 years ago. He laid a wreath, bowed his head and tweeted about the visit—"Remember #PearlHarbor. Remember the @USSArizona! A day I'll never forget."

One year after that and he's at USS Arizona memorial again—but he had to ask John Kelly "Hey, John, what’s this all about? What’s this a tour of?” 

That's not being an idiot. That's being demented. 

 
Could be.  If so looks like we are guaranteed to have a mentally disabled President.  Yay two party duopoly!{#Lol}  Voting Libertarian has never been so easy or even not voting at all, I think we are there now.  It's all good in the hood. {#Meditate}  Politics are very much like viruses.  It is all up to us, government is not going to save us. Be independent, get yourself right.  Bon Apetit.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 4:19am

 sirdroseph wrote:

There is a different between an idiot and having dementia, Trump has always been an idiot.
 

Read what I just posted. I prematurely posted by error and didn't include all the news article excerpts.
Trump visited the USS Arizona Memorial 3 years ago. He laid a wreath, bowed his head and tweeted about the visit—"Remember #PearlHarbor. Remember the @USSArizona! A day I'll never forget."

One year after that and he's at USS Arizona memorial again—but he had to ask John Kelly "Hey, John, what’s this all about? What’s this a tour of?” 

That's not being an idiot. That's being demented. 

sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 4:13am

 kcar wrote:
 
 
There is a different between an idiot and having dementia, Trump has always been an idiot.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 4:10am

 sirdroseph wrote:


 ScottN wrote:

I believe the scuttlebutt that if Biden is the nominee he'll choose an African-American woman.  Politically helpful for the general, as well a nod to Clyburn/Obama.
 

That would be wise to draw the African American vote in the general, but it is a slippery slope because he has to balance this with independents so the ideal would be a moderate African American woman, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.   Stacy Abrams would be the obvious choice, but she is too liberal to fly in the general.    If all of these Democratic candidates sans Buttigieg, Klobuchar and obviously Biden were deemed too liberal for Democrats then they sure aren't going to thrill independents and anti Trumpers.   In general (pun intended) Buttigieg and Klobuchar would  be the ideal choices, but African American voters just don't like them so they are out.   What makes it even more intense of a decision is that most are aware that Biden is basically late 80s early 90s Reagan in terms of dementia onset so the VP pick is even more vital in his case.   It will be a difficult choice for him and his team no doubt.    To get my vote, it has to be Klobuchar.   I like Buttigieg, but he is a non starter in the African American community, a lot of liberal white folks don't like to acknowledge that many African Americans are as socially conservative as evangelicals especially in terms of homophobia, but it's true.
 

"What makes it even more intense of a decision is that most are aware that Biden is basically late 80s early 90s Reagan in terms of dementia onset so the VP pick is even more vital in his case."  


This claim cries out for some supporting evidence. You might want to read this before you start looking around on the Web: 

We talked to experts on aging about the 2020 field. Here’s what they told us.


But concerns about Biden’s age and mental fitness are likely overblown, according to experts on aging and the brain, as well as actuarial tables used by the insurance industry to estimate the health and longevity of customers.

The two brain aneurysms Biden suffered in 1988 were fully treated and he showed no signs of mental trouble as a result, said Dr. Neal Kassell, who performed the surgery on Biden three decades ago. Nor did Biden suffer any brain damage that could come back to haunt him in old age, Kassell said.


...

With the prospect that the next president might be the oldest ever to take office, a team of researchers with the American Federation for Aging Research released a study last month to answer this morbid question: How likely is he or she to die in office?

The answer: Not very.

The candidates “have prospects for survival that extend well beyond the four-year term of the office. The bottom line is their chronological age does not matter at all,” Dr. S. Jay Olshansky, who led the study, said.

Of course the researchers can't predict death: Their life-expectancy projections for the candidates are based on estimates of the entire population contained in actuarial tables used by the insurance industry and the Social Security Administration. There’s no better way to estimate the longevity or health of the candidates without individual medical examinations and a look at their medical records, they said.

But “there was nothing we could see that would lead us to believe that the age of an individual, in and of itself, should be a disqualifying factor to run for president,” Olshansky said.


BTW Biden has been making gaffes for decades. You might be more concerned about Trump. I've bolded some words and the hyperlink in the newspaper excerpt below. Trump visited Pearl Harbor 3 years ago and gave a speech, but couldn't remember the Pearl Harbor attack or the USS Arizona memorial one year later. 


'Dangerously uninformed’: New book says Trump didn’t know what happened at Pearl Harbor

Jan. 17, 2020

HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - A new book claims President Donald Trump did not understand the basic history behind the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor before visiting two years ago.

“He was at times dangerously uninformed,” a former senior White House adviser said in “A Very Stable Genius,” a new book by Washington Post reporters Philip Rucker and Carol D. Leonnig.

In it, they wrote that President Trump asked his then-Chief of Staff John Kelly before a private tour of the USS Arizona Memorial: “Hey, John, what’s this all about? What’s this a tour of?”

The book said, “Trump had heard the phrase ‘Pearl Harbor’ and appeared to understand that he was visiting the scene of a historic battle, but he did not seem to know much else."

During his visit of the historic site three years ago, Trump said, "This is very special to be in Hawaii and to be visiting very shortly Pearl Harbor which I’ve read about, spoken about, heard about, studied, but I haven’t seen.”

Here's an excerpt from the hyperlink embedded in the 1/17/20 article just above—the hyperlinked article is from November 1, 2017. Again the emphasis is mine: 

President makes whirlwind stopover in Hawaii

...

Trump shook hands and posed for photos with members of the military and their families before departing for Camp Smith to meet with PACOM leaders. There, he told the press that he was excited about his upcoming trip to the USS Arizona Memorial.

"I tell you, this is very special being in Hawaii," the president said.

He added he's "read about, spoken about, heard about, studied, but I haven't seen" Pearl Harbor.

Every president since Franklin D. Roosevelt has visited the Arizona Memorial.

And Trump appeared moved during his visit to the site, which honors the sailors and Marines who died in the Dec. 7 attack on Pearl Harbor. At the memorial, the president and first lady offered a wreath of white flowers, bowed their heads during a moment of silence, and then dropped petals into the water.

On Twitter after the Pearl Harbor visit, the president posted a video of his Hawaii stop and said, "Remember #PearlHarbor. Remember the @USSArizona! A day I'll never forget."

sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 3:15am



 ScottN wrote:

I believe the scuttlebutt that if Biden is the nominee he'll choose an African-American woman.  Politically helpful for the general, as well a nod to Clyburn/Obama.
 

That would be wise to draw the African American vote in the general, but it is a slippery slope because he has to balance this with independents so the ideal would be a moderate African American woman, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.   Stacy Abrams would be the obvious choice, but she is too liberal to fly in the general.    If all of these Democratic candidates sans Buttigieg, Klobuchar and obviously Biden were deemed too liberal for Democrats then they sure aren't going to thrill independents and anti Trumpers.   In general (pun intended) Buttigieg and Klobuchar would  be the ideal choices, but African American voters just don't like them so they are out.   What makes it even more intense of a decision is that most are aware that Biden is basically late 80s early 90s Reagan in terms of dementia onset so the VP pick is even more vital in his case.   It will be a difficult choice for him and his team no doubt.    To get my vote, it has to be Klobuchar.   I like Buttigieg, but he is a non starter in the African American community, a lot of liberal white folks don't like to acknowledge that many African Americans are as socially conservative as evangelicals especially in terms of homophobia, but it's true.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 6, 2020 - 2:32am



 steeler wrote:


 R_P wrote:
 westslope wrote:
Question:  If Biden is the candidate, will he propose Warren as Vice-President?
 
Rumour has it that that's the DNC's preferred outcome/goal.
 

Interesting. From my observations, leading into Super Tuesday, in announcing her endorsement, he seemed to be giving subtle indications he might go with Amy Klobuchar.
 

That would be nice.  Would sure make me sleep a lot better.
KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 5:52pm



 ScottN wrote:

I believe the scuttlebutt that if Biden is the nominee he'll choose an African-American woman.  Politically helpful for the general, as well a nod to Clyburn/Obama.

As was already said, he'll chose Warren,  who will be quick to remind Biden of her  1/1999 % African-American genes.


ScottN

ScottN Avatar

Location: Half inch above the K/T boundary
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 5:43pm

 westslope wrote:
This is a stretch......
 
If Elizabeth Warren can convince Joe Biden to move in her policy direction and as a result, she backs Biden, then I believe Sanders is done. 

Though to Sanders' credit, he appears to have  had a lasting policy influence on the Democratic Party.

Question:  If Biden is the candidate, will he propose Warren as Vice-President?
 
I believe the scuttlebutt that if Biden is the nominee he'll choose an African-American woman.  Politically helpful for the general, as well a nod to Clyburn/Obama.
jahgirl8

jahgirl8 Avatar



Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 5:14pm



 steeler wrote:


 R_P wrote:
 westslope wrote:
Question:  If Biden is the candidate, will he propose Warren as Vice-President?
 
Rumour has it that that's the DNC's preferred outcome/goal.
 

Interesting. From my observations, leading into Super Tuesday, in announcing her endorsement, he seemed to be giving subtle indications he might go with Amy Klobuchar.
 
that's what Amy dreams of, and she'll end up POTUS!

jahgirl8

jahgirl8 Avatar



Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 5:10pm



 westslope wrote:
This is a stretch......
 
If Elizabeth Warren can convince Joe Biden to move in her policy direction and as a result, she backs Biden, then I believe Sanders is done. 

Though to Sanders' credit, he appears to have  had a lasting policy influence on the Democratic Party.

Question:  If Biden is the candidate, will he propose Warren as Vice-President?
 
Doubtful either will invite her has VP.

haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 2:31pm



 R_P wrote:
 westslope wrote:
Question:  If Biden is the candidate, will he propose Warren as Vice-President?
 
Rumour has it that that's the DNC's preferred outcome/goal.
 
My preferred outcome is to keep her and the others in the senate where they can do some good

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 2:16pm



 R_P wrote:
 westslope wrote:
Question:  If Biden is the candidate, will he propose Warren as Vice-President?
 
Rumour has it that that's the DNC's preferred outcome/goal.
 

Interesting. From my observations, leading into Super Tuesday, in announcing her endorsement, he seemed to be giving subtle indications he might go with Amy Klobuchar.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Mar 5, 2020 - 1:05pm

 westslope wrote:
Question:  If Biden is the candidate, will he propose Warren as Vice-President?
 
Rumour has it that that's the DNC's preferred outcome/goal.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next