[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

2020 Elections - Steely_D - Oct 21, 2020 - 3:20pm
 
Things You Thought Today - Antigone - Oct 21, 2020 - 3:18pm
 
Anti-War - R_P - Oct 21, 2020 - 3:13pm
 
Trump - steeler - Oct 21, 2020 - 3:08pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Oct 21, 2020 - 2:27pm
 
Republican Party - R_P - Oct 21, 2020 - 12:39pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Oct 21, 2020 - 12:21pm
 
You might be getting old if...... - Ohmsen - Oct 21, 2020 - 9:05am
 
Rhetorical questions - oldviolin - Oct 21, 2020 - 8:37am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Oct 21, 2020 - 7:47am
 
Working from home - rhahl - Oct 21, 2020 - 7:01am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Oct 21, 2020 - 6:48am
 
How's the weather? - miamizsun - Oct 21, 2020 - 5:05am
 
Live Music - R_P - Oct 20, 2020 - 10:48pm
 
how do you feel right now? - kurtster - Oct 20, 2020 - 7:43pm
 
audiophile - kurtster - Oct 20, 2020 - 7:27pm
 
The Obituary Page - GeneP59 - Oct 20, 2020 - 6:21pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - GeneP59 - Oct 20, 2020 - 6:10pm
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - GeneP59 - Oct 20, 2020 - 6:07pm
 
Rock Movies/Documentaries - miamizsun - Oct 20, 2020 - 5:53pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Oct 20, 2020 - 5:24pm
 
What The Hell Buddy? - oldviolin - Oct 20, 2020 - 5:16pm
 
Supreme Court: Who's Next? - kcar - Oct 20, 2020 - 4:39pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Oct 20, 2020 - 4:25pm
 
Bolivia - R_P - Oct 20, 2020 - 4:09pm
 
New Music - KurtfromLaQuinta - Oct 20, 2020 - 3:45pm
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - KarmaKarma - Oct 20, 2020 - 2:29pm
 
Freedom of speech? - miamizsun - Oct 20, 2020 - 2:18pm
 
Strange signs, marquees, billboards, etc. - KurtfromLaQuinta - Oct 20, 2020 - 1:04pm
 
Environment - Red_Dragon - Oct 20, 2020 - 1:03pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Oct 20, 2020 - 12:49pm
 
Health Care - R_P - Oct 20, 2020 - 8:41am
 
Android app playing same playlist - bevgerry - Oct 20, 2020 - 5:42am
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - Oct 19, 2020 - 9:36pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - jarro - Oct 19, 2020 - 8:54pm
 
Quick! I need a chicken... - R_P - Oct 19, 2020 - 4:46pm
 
I have no idea what this thread was about, but let's talk... - miamizsun - Oct 19, 2020 - 9:35am
 
Art Show - Coaxial - Oct 19, 2020 - 5:33am
 
Graphic designers, ho! - Proclivities - Oct 19, 2020 - 5:27am
 
Democratic Party - ScottFromWyoming - Oct 18, 2020 - 10:28pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Oct 18, 2020 - 3:10pm
 
Feature Request: My Ratings Sort by Date - jarro - Oct 18, 2020 - 2:19pm
 
NASA & other news from space - R_P - Oct 18, 2020 - 12:18pm
 
A "Kinky" Twist - sirdroseph - Oct 18, 2020 - 5:59am
 
New Zealand - oldviolin - Oct 17, 2020 - 8:30pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - oldviolin - Oct 17, 2020 - 7:19pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Oct 17, 2020 - 7:05pm
 
Small-town news - Antigone - Oct 17, 2020 - 1:35pm
 
Philosophy (Meaty Metaphysical Munchables!) - R_P - Oct 17, 2020 - 10:28am
 
Radio Paradise is awesome! - Steely_D - Oct 17, 2020 - 9:09am
 
Name My Band - steeler - Oct 17, 2020 - 8:51am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Oct 17, 2020 - 7:03am
 
Play the Blues - sirdroseph - Oct 17, 2020 - 4:20am
 
Race in America - sirdroseph - Oct 17, 2020 - 4:03am
 
Astronomy! - Red_Dragon - Oct 16, 2020 - 5:40pm
 
It's the economy stupid. - westslope - Oct 16, 2020 - 3:18pm
 
Radio Paradise on multiple Echo speakers via an Alexa Rou... - jarro - Oct 16, 2020 - 1:43pm
 
Alexa skill - not working :( - jarro - Oct 16, 2020 - 1:36pm
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - ScottFromWyoming - Oct 16, 2020 - 11:15am
 
Climate Change - R_P - Oct 16, 2020 - 10:57am
 
Turkey Sandwiches? Veev Wants to Know What's For Lunch - oldviolin - Oct 16, 2020 - 9:43am
 
RP App in Android Auto: - jwaldrep - Oct 16, 2020 - 9:30am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - oldviolin - Oct 16, 2020 - 8:52am
 
American Justice - Red_Dragon - Oct 16, 2020 - 7:59am
 
Obvious Headlines - Red_Dragon - Oct 16, 2020 - 5:59am
 
Taxes, Taxes, Taxes (and Taxes) - sirdroseph - Oct 16, 2020 - 4:57am
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - Steely_D - Oct 15, 2020 - 7:30pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Oct 15, 2020 - 7:01pm
 
Photos you have taken of your walks or hikes. - Antigone - Oct 15, 2020 - 2:53pm
 
MICHIGAN - Ohmsen - Oct 15, 2020 - 1:42pm
 
Automotive Lust - R_P - Oct 15, 2020 - 1:07pm
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - Red_Dragon - Oct 15, 2020 - 12:58pm
 
What did you have for dinner? - nate917 - Oct 15, 2020 - 11:39am
 
Those Lovable Policemen - cc_rider - Oct 15, 2020 - 7:46am
 
Would you drive this car for dating with ur girl? - islander - Oct 15, 2020 - 6:32am
 
Index » Regional/Local » Elsewhere » Fake News*  ?  ! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post to this Topic
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 4:32pm

 miamizsun wrote:

there's a huge credibility issue as well 

science is antithetical to both religion and politics

you sort of have a religious mythology versus political mythology

politicians will use religion or science as a tool if you will when it suits them (or to their advantage for control)

religions aren't above using political power as well

there's a lot here

 

 
That's where I disagree with you. I know plenty of religious scientists and there are scientific politicians (not to mention political scientists {#Wink}). 

There is a social and political context to science and science should constrain policy. Take the clean air act, for example. Science has abundantly demonstrated the ways that air pollution is bad for human health, ecosystems, and other quality of life aspects that people value. It is clear that the regulatory response to air pollution has mitigated many of those effects and there are scientific data that back that up. If the current US government wants to repeal the act, then they either are saying that they do not value human health and the environment or that there is some non-scientific and non-rational reason that the negative effects of air pollution won't increase. If that is the case it should be up to them to set out how the environmental degradation will be avoided. 
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 4:21pm

It is true the debt outstanding declined by $12 billion in the first month of Donald Trump’s presidency. We applaud the president for focusing on the debt as an important metric of success and economic health, but would point out that the improvement this early in his term has to do with normal fluctuations in spending and revenues rather than new policies he has implemented.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 4:05pm

 haresfur wrote:

I maintain that the rejection of climate change is strongly related to the rejection of evolution. Once your religion sets itself apart as being incompatible with one aspect of science, then it is easy to reject any other part of science you want. It doesn't help when the religion aligns on the side of politics that sees profit in SSR (Selective Science Rejection - I just made that up {#Laughing})

Additionally, one of the unintended consequences of Al Gore advocating the climate change message is that conservatives reject his message because they reject his politics. You just can't win with some people.

I personally don't reject religion out of hand but believe any belief system should be a superset encompassing science and other truth.

 
there's a huge credibility issue as well 

science is antithetical to both religion and politics

you sort of have a religious mythology versus political mythology

politicians will use religion or science as a tool if you will when it suits them (or to their advantage for control)

religions aren't above using political power as well

there's a lot here

 
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 3:28pm

 R_P wrote:
The Religious Origins of Fake News and “Alternative Facts”

(...) As we’ve moved from an election dominated by fake news to a new Trump administration run on the principle of “alternative facts,” it’s worth taking some time to ponder what seems to be contemporary conservative credulity. We should certainly be reminded of the term “truthiness” that Stephen Colbert invented in October 2005 to capture some of the pronouncements of the George W. Bush administration. As he explained then, truthiness was the truth that “comes from the gut,” not from actual facts—“the truth we want to exist,” that feels right.

Truthiness is certainly an ancestor of fake news and alternative facts. And the way fake news tends to get better reception among conservatives than liberals, even by a two-to-one margin, has also been recognized. (When one fake news creator was interviewed, he explained, “We’ve tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You’ll get debunked within the first two comments, and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.”) What is it about Republicans that seems to make them more credulous to fake news than Democrats?

The answer to this question might have to do with the religious roots of today’s Republican Party in the Christian Right. Beginning with the Moral Majority, founded in 1979 by Jerry Falwell and Tim LaHaye, and continuing through church organizations such as Pat Robertson’s Christian Coalition and James Dobson’s Focus on the Family, conservative Christians have helped reshape the Republican Party and its policies. Its “family values” positions on abortion, the sexual revolution, gender roles, pornography, and homosexuality have been heavily influenced by its conservative Christian theology. (...)

Instead, susceptibility to fake news has its particular historical origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites. (...)



 
I maintain that the rejection of climate change is strongly related to the rejection of evolution. Once your religion sets itself apart as being incompatible with one aspect of science, then it is easy to reject any other part of science you want. It doesn't help when the religion aligns on the side of politics that sees profit in SSR (Selective Science Rejection - I just made that up {#Laughing})

Additionally, one of the unintended consequences of Al Gore advocating the climate change message is that conservatives reject his message because they reject his politics. You just can't win with some people.

I personally don't reject religion out of hand but believe any belief system should be a superset encompassing science and other truth.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 2:54pm

The Religious Origins of Fake News and “Alternative Facts”

(...) As we’ve moved from an election dominated by fake news to a new Trump administration run on the principle of “alternative facts,” it’s worth taking some time to ponder what seems to be contemporary conservative credulity. We should certainly be reminded of the term “truthiness” that Stephen Colbert invented in October 2005 to capture some of the pronouncements of the George W. Bush administration. As he explained then, truthiness was the truth that “comes from the gut,” not from actual facts—“the truth we want to exist,” that feels right.

Truthiness is certainly an ancestor of fake news and alternative facts. And the way fake news tends to get better reception among conservatives than liberals, even by a two-to-one margin, has also been recognized. (When one fake news creator was interviewed, he explained, “We’ve tried to do similar things to liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You’ll get debunked within the first two comments, and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.”) What is it about Republicans that seems to make them more credulous to fake news than Democrats?

The answer to this question might have to do with the religious roots of today’s Republican Party in the Christian Right. Beginning with the Moral Majority, founded in 1979 by Jerry Falwell and Tim LaHaye, and continuing through church organizations such as Pat Robertson’s Christian Coalition and James Dobson’s Focus on the Family, conservative Christians have helped reshape the Republican Party and its policies. Its “family values” positions on abortion, the sexual revolution, gender roles, pornography, and homosexuality have been heavily influenced by its conservative Christian theology. (...)

Instead, susceptibility to fake news has its particular historical origin in Christian fundamentalism’s rejection of expert elites. (...)


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 27, 2017 - 5:00am

 islander wrote:

I know how I want to be treated. I know how I want to treat others.  I know how I want to be thought of and remembered. I know what I want to accomplish. I know what I will do to achieve those accomplishments.

 
all apologies, that's my primal response mechanism bubbling up

that dank bit of cynicism was inspired by those around me dying to use political violence against anyone or anything they don't agree with

i don't think you would point a gun at me or externalize it to some costumed gang

being a real liberal and implementing liberalism takes work, especially up front

it's the polar opposite of what we see with the gop/dem flavors of authoritarianism today

peace


islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 25, 2017 - 12:07pm

 miamizsun wrote:
because that's all you know
 
I know how I want to be treated. I know how I want to treat others.  I know how I want to be thought of and remembered. I know what I want to accomplish. I know what I will do to achieve those accomplishments.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Feb 25, 2017 - 11:25am

Fox News Interview With Fake Expert on Sweden Further Baffles Swedes
Fox, too, knows the best people...
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 8:27am

 miamizsun wrote:

state guns are being point toward you and your tribe or at the lying sacks on the other side

 
all that matters...
 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 8:12am

my fellow plebians - it's all fake

in the sense that your rulers, their criers and their mouthpieces have little or no credibility

you're swimming in sea of real misinformation/bs

your confusion has manifested in anger, hate and violence because that's all you know

you've been schooled and conditioned well

state guns are being point toward you and your tribe or at the lying sacks on the other side

it's either or, so follow your clan passionately

and remember, your fake is real because you really know

==========================================

"Politics is war without bloodshed, while war is politics with bloodshed."

Mao Zedong



rhahl

rhahl Avatar



Posted: Feb 20, 2017 - 7:06am

If Hillary Clinton fakes an orgasm, what kind of news is that?
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 8, 2017 - 10:57am

Fearful Americans Stockpiling Facts Before Federal Government Comes To Take Them Away
 WASHINGTON—Alarmed at the prospect of unconstitutional overreach by the Trump administration, millions of fearful Americans have already begun stockpiling facts before the federal government comes to take them away, sources confirmed Friday. “I know my rights as an American, so you’d better believe I’m getting my hands on as many facts as possible and keeping them somewhere safe where this First Amendment–hating president of ours can’t snatch them all up,” said Pittsburgh resident David Edelman, 38, adding that he was worried that President Trump planned to not only suspend production of facts, but also seize existing ones, leaving Americans and their families completely defenseless. “The minute I saw Trump, I knew he was someone who didn’t grow up around facts or the kind of folks who use facts. Well, the founding fathers cherished my right to possess facts, and they’d be rolling in their graves if they knew the Feds were going to bust in and try to steal our facts in the middle of the night.” A spokesperson for the Trump administration dismissed such fears, saying that the president merely wanted to keep facts away from certain dangerous people.
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Feb 2, 2017 - 8:16pm

Kellyanne Conway Refers To Fake Bowling Green Massacre
Mine are bigger
The real one
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 28, 2017 - 5:32am

 Skydog wrote:

zero human interaction, that's a selling point?

 
To corporations and shareholders it is pure and lovely music.
FourFortyEight

FourFortyEight Avatar

Location: The Dirty South
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 5:27pm

 Coaxial wrote: 
Now I've got chills too.
Skydog

Skydog Avatar



Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 3:13pm

 miamizsun wrote:
Big Mac ATMs are coming soon

maybe that isn't fake...

McDonald’s New Big Mac ATM Requires Zero Human Interaction

The fast food of the future is the same, but with more robots



 
zero human interaction, that's a selling point?
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 2:16pm

Big Mac ATMs are coming soon

maybe that isn't fake...

McDonald’s New Big Mac ATM Requires Zero Human Interaction

The fast food of the future is the same, but with more robots


R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jan 27, 2017 - 12:28pm

Mexican President: We're going to build a tunnel

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto has announced that Mexico is going to build a tunnel under the Mexico/US border.

He said that the Americans were going to pay for the tunnel, which will cost $324bn.

He told WalesOnCraic:

“Trump can boast all he likes about his f*cking wall. I said to the missis last night that I should build a tunnel instead. She said that it was a good idea so I got up out of bed to draw some designs. I was there with a blank piece of paper and pen. It took me a good few hours but I eventually came up with something perfect. It’s of cylindrical design and will go underground.”

Enrique Peña Nieto said that the location of the tunnel hasn’t been disclosed to keep the Americans guessing.

“Shit, we’ve got hundreds of tunnels there already. The faster their lot are sticking up the wall, the faster our lads will be digging a tunnel underneath it.”

The White House hasn’t responded to the announcement, saying that they are still arguing about how many people turned up at Trump’s inauguration.


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 7:12am

 Coaxial wrote: 
gave me chills
rhahl

rhahl Avatar



Posted: Jan 23, 2017 - 6:40am

 Coaxial wrote: 
McCartney has finally learned how to play that song groovy.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next