[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Trump - westslope - Mar 28, 2020 - 2:51pm
 
Canada - westslope - Mar 28, 2020 - 2:39pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Mar 28, 2020 - 2:14pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - BlueHeronDruid - Mar 28, 2020 - 1:08pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Mar 28, 2020 - 12:43pm
 
Flower Pictures - kcar - Mar 28, 2020 - 12:22pm
 
The Dragons' Roost - triskele - Mar 28, 2020 - 11:49am
 
how do you feel right now? - Coaxial - Mar 28, 2020 - 11:03am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - GeneP59 - Mar 28, 2020 - 10:55am
 
Baseball, anyone? - GeneP59 - Mar 28, 2020 - 10:51am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Mar 28, 2020 - 10:18am
 
Airplay - jbuhl - Mar 28, 2020 - 9:47am
 
Favorite Quotes - oldviolin - Mar 28, 2020 - 8:22am
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - oldviolin - Mar 28, 2020 - 8:17am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - sirdroseph - Mar 28, 2020 - 4:45am
 
What Did You See Today? - Paul_Andreev - Mar 28, 2020 - 2:52am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Mar 28, 2020 - 12:06am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - buddy - Mar 27, 2020 - 5:16pm
 
Joe Biden - hayduke2 - Mar 27, 2020 - 4:56pm
 
Funny Videos - kcar - Mar 27, 2020 - 4:28pm
 
Last gas price paid? - katzendogs - Mar 27, 2020 - 3:39pm
 
Counting with Pictures - ndg - Mar 27, 2020 - 1:24pm
 
Economix - R_P - Mar 27, 2020 - 1:13pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Red_Dragon - Mar 27, 2020 - 1:09pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Mar 27, 2020 - 11:31am
 
songs that ROCK! - Lazy8 - Mar 27, 2020 - 10:29am
 
Automotive Lust - Red_Dragon - Mar 27, 2020 - 8:34am
 
Change mix channel on RP app - BillG - Mar 27, 2020 - 7:56am
 
Things You Thought Today - sirdroseph - Mar 27, 2020 - 7:55am
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Mar 27, 2020 - 6:32am
 
The Obituary Page - ScottFromWyoming - Mar 26, 2020 - 11:24pm
 
Rhetorical questions - oldviolin - Mar 26, 2020 - 10:38pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Mar 26, 2020 - 5:54pm
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Coaxial - Mar 26, 2020 - 3:56pm
 
What are you listening to now? - Steely_D - Mar 26, 2020 - 2:32pm
 
Quick! I need a chicken... - ScottFromWyoming - Mar 26, 2020 - 1:26pm
 
Help!!!!!!!! - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Mar 26, 2020 - 1:26pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Mar 26, 2020 - 11:12am
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - KurtfromLaQuinta - Mar 26, 2020 - 10:20am
 
Public Messages in a Private Forum - kurtster - Mar 26, 2020 - 6:49am
 
Music Videos - whatshisname - Mar 25, 2020 - 10:48pm
 
Trump Lies - kurtster - Mar 25, 2020 - 9:45pm
 
Strange signs, marquees, billboards, etc. - jahgirl8 - Mar 25, 2020 - 5:38pm
 
Democratic Party - jahgirl8 - Mar 25, 2020 - 5:18pm
 
What did you have for dinner? - jahgirl8 - Mar 25, 2020 - 5:14pm
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Mar 25, 2020 - 7:29am
 
THANK YOU GUYS - dawnbland - Mar 25, 2020 - 7:07am
 
Republican Party - Red_Dragon - Mar 24, 2020 - 6:30pm
 
Preferred media player? - gvajda - Mar 24, 2020 - 4:05pm
 
Get the Quote - oldviolin - Mar 24, 2020 - 11:54am
 
Unresearched Conspiracy Theories - miamizsun - Mar 24, 2020 - 6:17am
 
Graphs, Charts & Maps - sirdroseph - Mar 24, 2020 - 2:42am
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Mar 23, 2020 - 5:12pm
 
Marijuana: Baked News. - westslope - Mar 23, 2020 - 3:16pm
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Mar 23, 2020 - 9:42am
 
Things that make you sick - sirdroseph - Mar 23, 2020 - 2:36am
 
Art Show - ScottFromWyoming - Mar 22, 2020 - 11:33pm
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - BlueHeronDruid - Mar 22, 2020 - 4:01pm
 
RP Windows Desktop Notification Applet - gvajda - Mar 22, 2020 - 11:52am
 
Thanks Bill, Rebecca, and crew! - steeler - Mar 22, 2020 - 10:33am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - Isabeau - Mar 22, 2020 - 8:56am
 
Coffee - ScottFromWyoming - Mar 21, 2020 - 9:20am
 
Celebrity Deaths - ScottFromWyoming - Mar 21, 2020 - 12:22am
 
Pick a sport, any sport - haresfur - Mar 20, 2020 - 11:38pm
 
World Music - jahgirl8 - Mar 20, 2020 - 7:32pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Mar 20, 2020 - 6:45pm
 
PSD for Roku - mshafe - Mar 20, 2020 - 3:51pm
 
Climate Change - westslope - Mar 20, 2020 - 3:26pm
 
Contemporary québécois music - westslope - Mar 20, 2020 - 3:21pm
 
Drinking Establishments - oldviolin - Mar 20, 2020 - 1:59pm
 
music that makes you dance with big wavy gestures - buddy - Mar 20, 2020 - 8:55am
 
Poetry Forum - buddy - Mar 20, 2020 - 8:28am
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - jahgirl8 - Mar 19, 2020 - 3:38pm
 
Tomato Gardens - Red_Dragon - Mar 19, 2020 - 1:08pm
 
That's good advice - Steely_D - Mar 19, 2020 - 12:32pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » The War on Happiness Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Post to this Topic
aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 12:05pm

The happiness obtained from defeating an opponent is rather shallow and fleeting.  I prefer more profound pleasures.




hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 11:51am

 kurtster wrote:

Preventing winning is a denial of happiness.  The denial of happiness because its not fair to someone else who doesn't have the same set of skills in a given sport or activity.  Somehow, you tried to inject violent competion as an excuse for injecting 'fairness' or 'non-winning' into all activities.  Not all sports and activities consist of violent competition.  Yet you try to use it as an excuse to stop or end true competition of any kind.

 


Also saying that denial of winning is denial of happiness is a personal projection, not a statement of truth.
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 11:49am

 kurtster wrote:

Preventing winning is a denial of happiness.  The denial of happiness because its not fair to someone else who doesn't have the same set of skills in a given sport or activity.  Somehow, you tried to inject violent competion as an excuse for injecting 'fairness' or 'non-winning' into all activities.  Not all sports and activities consist of violent competition.  Yet you try to use it as an excuse to stop or end true competition of any kind.

 


You are putting words in my mouth, I play scrabble as competitively as possible. But cooperation, not competition is the 21st century way. We are a global nation, and we are going to have to learn to help each other. Tribalism and fighting (which physical competition prepares us for) is passe.
btw happiness comes from within, no one can take that from you.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 11:35am

 hippiechick wrote:

You are the one who started the thread, you should at least make a case tor what you believe.

 
Preventing winning is a denial of happiness.  The denial of happiness because its not fair to someone else who doesn't have the same set of skills in a given sport or activity.  Somehow, you tried to inject violent competion as an excuse for injecting 'fairness' or 'non-winning' into all activities.  Not all sports and activities consist of violent competition.  Yet you try to use it as an excuse to stop or end true competition of any kind.
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 11:00am

 kurtster wrote:


Political correctness is indeed a major factor in this discussion.

Let your questions simmer for a while. Aflannigan asked a great question, already.  This isn't about me or what I think. 

There are many others around.  This is the most 'us' question of all, IMHO.

 


You are the one who started the thread, you should at least make a case tor what you believe.
aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 10:59am

 kurtster wrote:

There is a war on Happiness. 

 

Manufactured outrage courtesy of Fox News.  I caught the segment on O'Reilly where Greg Gutfeld put out his "war on fun stuff" theory, presumably taken from his book.

Everyone knows that the classic definition of a Puritan is someone who has a sneaking suspicion that someone, somewhere, is having fun.  O'Reilly and his fellow Fox pundits basically come from the same Puritan mold.  What Gutfeld is trying to do is invert this old joke to define liberals as Puritans.

It ain't gonna wash, not with folks like O'Reilly and Limbaugh slut-shaming unmarried women who dare to want to have sex.  Remember the Scarlet Letter?  Limbaugh, O'Reilly and others who go after Sandra Fluke are simply carrying on a cherished Puritan tradition.


kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 10:26am

 hippiechick wrote:

Why do your think that "non -winning" is misery?

 

Political correctness is indeed a major factor in this discussion.

Let your questions simmer for a while. Aflannigan asked a great question, already.  This isn't about me or what I think. 

There are many others around.  This is the most 'us' question of all, IMHO.
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 10:14am

 kurtster wrote:

Just take the bolded part and go from there.

Consider my narrow view as a beginning towards the widening of the conversation.

The uneven pursuit of happiness versus the equal sharing of misery. 

As a reason for founding a country and how current events are directly opposed to the notion.



 


Why do your think that "non -winning" is misery?
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 10:14am

 buddy wrote:
Much as I see your good intentions, I fear this topic will come to no good end. Some folks don't understand that an "argument" doesn't have to be a negative thing. Best of luck - I give it 2 days ;)

 
Thanks.

Two days around here is pretty good.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 10:06am

 sirdroseph wrote:

Socialism exists as an idea because a lot of people simply reject the idea that in a modern world so many people especially children should go hungry as the millionaire movie stars and athletes you speak of lament on the taxes they have to pay on their Lamborghini's or opulent palaces in gated communities (or injustices of a Czars lifestyle vs. a peasant). You are entering an enormous philosophical discussion from a rather narrow viewpoint skewed suspiciously towards a somewhat different subject imo than the pursuit of happiness and its general importance to the founding fathers.

 
Just take the bolded part and go from there.

Consider my narrow view as a beginning towards the widening of the conversation.

The uneven pursuit of happiness versus the equal sharing of misery. 

As a reason for founding a country and how current events are directly opposed to the notion.


aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 10:04am

 kurtster wrote:
Another example can be infered by the playing of games in public grade schools where no one is allowed to win.  

The idea that there are no winners and losers in public schools is truly laughable.  What do you think grades are?  What do you think high stakes test scores are for?  They are for ranking and sorting children into winners and losers.
buddy

buddy Avatar

Location: Denver
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 10:02am

Much as I see your good intentions, I fear this topic will come to no good end. Some folks don't understand that an "argument" doesn't have to be a negative thing. Best of luck - I give it 2 days ;)
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 9:57am

And besides, the exact opposite is happening, so what you say isn't even up for discussion.
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 9:55am

 kurtster wrote:

I've put out enough already to begin a conversation.  There is lot's of room for an interesting non partisan discussion on this topic.

The idea of Happiness is so profound that it was used as a reason to start a whole new country and reinforce the idea as a worthy ideal.

Apply it to my public school example and tell me how playing to a deliberate tie is good and consistent with the pursuit of Happiness and not contrary to the ideal of the equal sharing of misery.

 


Because non -competitive cooperation is healthier and more relevant than violent competition in the 21st century?
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 9:47am

 kurtster wrote:

I've put out enough already to begin a conversation.  There is lot's of room for an interesting non partisan discussion on this topic.

The idea of Happiness is so profound that it was used as a reason to start a whole new country and reinforce the idea as a worthy ideal.

Apply it to my public school example and tell me how playing to a deliberate tie is good and consistent with the pursuit of Happiness and not contrary to the ideal of the equal sharing of misery.

 
Socialism exists as an idea because a lot of people simply reject the idea that in a modern world so many people especially children should go hungry as the millionaire movie stars and athletes you speak of lament on the taxes they have to pay on their Lamborghini's or opulent palaces in gated communities (or injustices of a Czars lifestyle vs. a peasant). You are entering an enormous philosophical discussion from a rather narrow viewpoint skewed suspiciously towards a somewhat different subject imo than the pursuit of happiness and its general importance to the founding fathers.


kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 9:34am

 hippiechick wrote:

Why do you think that this is a bad thing?

 
I've put out enough already to begin a conversation.  There is lot's of room for an interesting non partisan discussion on this topic.

The idea of Happiness is so profound that it was used as a reason to start a whole new country and reinforce the idea as a worthy ideal.

Apply it to my public school example and tell me how playing to a deliberate tie is good and consistent with the pursuit of Happiness and not contrary to the ideal of the equal sharing of misery.
hippiechick

hippiechick Avatar

Location: topsy turvy land
Gender: Female


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 9:16am

 kurtster wrote:

We'll see.

Another example can be infered by the playing of games in public grade schools where no one is allowed to win.  The teams play to a tie so there are no winners and losers.  No hurt feelings of losing are allowed.  Conversely, no happiness in winning is allowed.

I think this really cuts through all the bs and strips it down to the bare bones.  This is the core.  Its about the social paradigm shift were are in the middle of or end of depending on your persuasion.

 
Why do you think that this is a bad thing?
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 9:14am

 MsJudi wrote:

Oh for goodness sakes. {#Rolleyes} {#Doh}

 
We'll see.

Another example can be infered by the playing of games in public grade schools where no one is allowed to win.  The teams play to a tie so there are no winners and losers.  No hurt feelings of losing are allowed.  Conversely, no happiness in winning is allowed.

I think this really cuts through all the bs and strips it down to the bare bones.  This is the core.  Its about the social paradigm shift were are in the middle of or end of depending on your persuasion.
MsJudi

MsJudi Avatar

Location: Houston, TX
Gender: Female


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 8:56am

 kurtster wrote:

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Sir Winston Churchill.

The Founders of this great country were aware of many things.  The concept of Happiness was so important that it was given star billing in the Declaration Of Independence … the pursuit of Happiness.

Class warfare is an attack on happiness when considered in Churchill’s remarks.  The same can be said of secular attacks on religious events.

How is it that we idolize millionaire movie stars, canonize millionaire rock stars and worship millionaire athletes, yet demonize millionaire entrepreneurs and businessmen ?

There is a war on Happiness.  The fact that the smallest of voices can now attack and silence the joy or celebration of the many by claiming their rights are being trampled is absurd, for openers.



 
Oh for goodness sakes. {#Rolleyes} {#Doh}
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 9, 2012 - 8:47am

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.

Sir Winston Churchill.

The Founders of this great country were aware of many things.  The concept of Happiness was so important that it was given star billing in the Declaration Of Independence … the pursuit of Happiness.

Class warfare is an attack on happiness when considered in Churchill’s remarks.  The same can be said of secular attacks on religious events.

How is it that we idolize millionaire movie stars, canonize millionaire rock stars and worship millionaire athletes, yet demonize millionaire entrepreneurs and businessmen ?

There is a war on Happiness.  The fact that the smallest of voices can now attack and silence the joy or celebration of the many by claiming their rights are being trampled is absurd, for openers.




Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22