[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Jun 24, 2021 - 4:41pm
 
Automotive Lust - R_P - Jun 24, 2021 - 4:15pm
 
Skeptix - R_P - Jun 24, 2021 - 3:02pm
 
Breaking News - Proclivities - Jun 24, 2021 - 1:21pm
 
Graphic designers, ho! - Proclivities - Jun 24, 2021 - 1:04pm
 
What The Hell Buddy? - oldviolin - Jun 24, 2021 - 12:28pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Jun 24, 2021 - 12:25pm
 
Two questions. That's it. I promise. - oldviolin - Jun 24, 2021 - 12:09pm
 
Poetry Forum - oldviolin - Jun 24, 2021 - 12:03pm
 
Canada - R_P - Jun 24, 2021 - 11:47am
 
In the Know - oldviolin - Jun 24, 2021 - 11:39am
 
Race in America - R_P - Jun 24, 2021 - 11:36am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - GeneP59 - Jun 24, 2021 - 9:37am
 
The War on Women - sirdroseph - Jun 24, 2021 - 8:57am
 
Play the Blues - Ohmsen - Jun 24, 2021 - 7:22am
 
Environment - black321 - Jun 24, 2021 - 6:53am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Jun 24, 2021 - 6:00am
 
How to stop autopaly in iOS - sunhawk - Jun 24, 2021 - 5:59am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Jun 24, 2021 - 5:46am
 
COVID-19 - sirdroseph - Jun 24, 2021 - 4:25am
 
Covers! - oldviolin - Jun 23, 2021 - 8:06pm
 
The Obituary Page - Manbird - Jun 23, 2021 - 4:27pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Jun 23, 2021 - 3:09pm
 
Music Videos - sirdroseph - Jun 23, 2021 - 12:02pm
 
RP App for Android - jarro - Jun 23, 2021 - 11:51am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - hughframpton - Jun 23, 2021 - 10:39am
 
Apple Music - GeneP59 - Jun 23, 2021 - 8:58am
 
North Korea - sirdroseph - Jun 23, 2021 - 4:44am
 
Media Bias - sirdroseph - Jun 23, 2021 - 3:25am
 
Apple Music Broken - BillG - Jun 22, 2021 - 7:42pm
 
Last gas price paid? - haresfur - Jun 22, 2021 - 7:32pm
 
Canadian Music - haresfur - Jun 22, 2021 - 7:25pm
 
Great Old Songs You Rarely Hear Anymore - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 22, 2021 - 6:07pm
 
Post your favorite 'You Tube' Videos Here - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 22, 2021 - 6:02pm
 
Real Life vs. the Internet - miamizsun - Jun 22, 2021 - 3:01pm
 
New Music - Proclivities - Jun 22, 2021 - 8:53am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - sirdroseph - Jun 22, 2021 - 7:05am
 
The war on funk is over! - sirdroseph - Jun 22, 2021 - 7:01am
 
What Makes You Laugh? - sirdroseph - Jun 22, 2021 - 6:45am
 
Once upon a time... - sirdroseph - Jun 22, 2021 - 5:21am
 
How would you mow the lawn? - sirdroseph - Jun 22, 2021 - 3:43am
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Jun 21, 2021 - 9:30pm
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Jun 21, 2021 - 9:26pm
 
Chicago 25 Or 6 To 4 - kurtster - Jun 21, 2021 - 9:18pm
 
2020 Elections - Manbird - Jun 21, 2021 - 7:46pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - miamizsun - Jun 21, 2021 - 3:20pm
 
If not RP, what are you listening to right now? - Steely_D - Jun 21, 2021 - 12:11pm
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Jun 21, 2021 - 8:21am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Jun 21, 2021 - 8:20am
 
Remembering Duane Allman - oldviolin - Jun 21, 2021 - 8:14am
 
Things You Thought Today - oldviolin - Jun 21, 2021 - 8:07am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Jun 21, 2021 - 7:06am
 
King Crimson - ColdMiser - Jun 21, 2021 - 6:55am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - Coaxial - Jun 20, 2021 - 8:03pm
 
Movie quotes used as life's truisms - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 20, 2021 - 5:35pm
 
The Grateful Dead - Ohmsen - Jun 20, 2021 - 2:34pm
 
songs that ROCK! - Ohmsen - Jun 20, 2021 - 1:00pm
 
Mozart Reincarnated - Too Many Notes - Ohmsen - Jun 19, 2021 - 11:39pm
 
Great drummers - JrzyTmata - Jun 19, 2021 - 10:17am
 
Jazz - Proclivities - Jun 19, 2021 - 9:21am
 
RP app for MacBook Pro 16 not compatible? - gtufano - Jun 18, 2021 - 11:29am
 
Music documentaries - R_P - Jun 18, 2021 - 10:37am
 
Republican Party - rgio - Jun 18, 2021 - 5:34am
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - oldviolin - Jun 17, 2021 - 6:52pm
 
Climate Change - Red_Dragon - Jun 17, 2021 - 6:32pm
 
Derplahoma! - Red_Dragon - Jun 17, 2021 - 4:27pm
 
OBAMACARE - Lazy8 - Jun 17, 2021 - 4:12pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - Red_Dragon - Jun 17, 2021 - 2:53pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - Jun 17, 2021 - 10:13am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Jun 17, 2021 - 9:17am
 
Museum Of Bad Album Covers - yuel - Jun 17, 2021 - 12:25am
 
Putin Owns Trump - rgio - Jun 16, 2021 - 2:31pm
 
Joe Biden - R_P - Jun 16, 2021 - 12:14pm
 
Evolution! - R_P - Jun 16, 2021 - 9:56am
 
Trump Lies™ - kcar - Jun 15, 2021 - 7:02pm
 
Index » Music » Whatever » Would you drive this car for dating with ur girl? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Post to this Topic
Jester

Jester Avatar

Location: Wytheville, Virginia (There's Only One!)
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 3:01pm

Heisenburg!!!

 Steely_D wrote:


See, I really liked the Aztec. Obviously never got traction with the public. They even gave one away on Survivor one year.
 


KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 12:27pm



 Steely_D wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:


 
Pontiac Aztec.
Somethings wrong over there at GM.

 

See, I really liked the Aztec. Obviously never got traction with the public. They even gave one away on Survivor one year.
 

And that winner went to prison...
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 10:26am



 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:


 
Pontiac Aztec.
Somethings wrong over there at GM.

 

See, I really liked the Aztec. Obviously never got traction with the public. They even gave one away on Survivor one year.
Antigone

Antigone Avatar

Location: A house, in a Virginian Valley
Gender: Female


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 9:35am

 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:

And it's way better looking.

 

A dumpster fire is better-looking than an Avalanche. That is one of the most hideous vehicles ever built.
 
Pontiac Aztec.
Somethings wrong over there at GM.

 
Oh, my, that is one ugly vehicle. A veritable Franken-car.
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 9:28am



 Red_Dragon wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:

And it's way better looking.

 

A dumpster fire is better-looking than an Avalanche. That is one of the most hideous vehicles ever built.
 
Pontiac Aztec.
Somethings wrong over there at GM.

cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 9:15am



 Red_Dragon wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:

And it's way better looking.

 

A dumpster fire is better-looking than an Avalanche. That is one of the most hideous vehicles ever built.
 
One of Leonard Pitts' recent columns coined the phrase 'Chicken Fried Dumpster Fire'. Made me chuckle...
c.

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 9:08am



 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:

And it's way better looking.

 

A dumpster fire is better-looking than an Avalanche. That is one of the most hideous vehicles ever built.
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 8:50am



 Red_Dragon wrote:


 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
I mean, of course!

 


Same idea as a Chevy Avalanche but infinitely cooler.
 
And it's way better looking.

KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 8:48am



 islander wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:




 

In time, good ideas will come to fruition. The problem is... it takes some time.
You can't legislate it into existence overnight.

 

Yet all the advancements in ICE that you proclaimed (correctly) down below were the result of... legislation.
 
Yes... but it can't come as quickly as the politicians demand.

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 8:40am



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
I mean, of course!

 


Same idea as a Chevy Avalanche but infinitely cooler.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 8:37am

I mean, of course!

islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 14, 2020 - 6:34am



 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 cc_rider wrote:


 Really good points.

Batteries require a ton of energy to manufacture, have limited life, and are expensive/difficult to dispose of/recycle. Not to mention, the electricity used to charge the batteries has to come from somewhere: fossils still power a big chunk of our grid. There's no such thing as a 'Zero Emissions Vehicle', not even a fuel cell-powered one. It takes energy to split them little hydrogens offa them little oxygens - where does that come from? Sure you can move the emissions around, but it's never 'zero'.

Even wind and solar energy devices require massive amounts of material and energy to produce and install. Ever seen one turbine blade being transported? By truck. Diesel-burning truck. Not to mention the support vehicles running around clearing intersections and checking overhead power lines. That's one blade, for one turbine. Not saying we shouldn't do it, just don't kid yourself how much pollution goes into making it.

If Mazda can get their SkyActiv X engine dialed in, it will be a sea change in ICE performance. I'm a big fan of Mazda - I think it's the last car company still run by actual engineers - but that engine technology is something special. In an industry where a fraction of a percent improvement is considered a win, they're looking at  10,15,20% or more increase in efficiency.

c.




 

In time, good ideas will come to fruition. The problem is... it takes some time.
You can't legislate it into existence overnight.

 

Yet all the advancements in ICE that you proclaimed (correctly) down below were the result of... legislation.
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 13, 2020 - 9:13pm



 cc_rider wrote:


 Really good points.

Batteries require a ton of energy to manufacture, have limited life, and are expensive/difficult to dispose of/recycle. Not to mention, the electricity used to charge the batteries has to come from somewhere: fossils still power a big chunk of our grid. There's no such thing as a 'Zero Emissions Vehicle', not even a fuel cell-powered one. It takes energy to split them little hydrogens offa them little oxygens - where does that come from? Sure you can move the emissions around, but it's never 'zero'.

Even wind and solar energy devices require massive amounts of material and energy to produce and install. Ever seen one turbine blade being transported? By truck. Diesel-burning truck. Not to mention the support vehicles running around clearing intersections and checking overhead power lines. That's one blade, for one turbine. Not saying we shouldn't do it, just don't kid yourself how much pollution goes into making it.

If Mazda can get their SkyActiv X engine dialed in, it will be a sea change in ICE performance. I'm a big fan of Mazda - I think it's the last car company still run by actual engineers - but that engine technology is something special. In an industry where a fraction of a percent improvement is considered a win, they're looking at  10,15,20% or more increase in efficiency.

c.




 

In time, good ideas will come to fruition. The problem is... it takes some time.
You can't legislate it into existence overnight.

black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 13, 2020 - 2:28pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 cc_rider wrote:

Batteries... have limited life

 

I know when E-cars were new there was talk about needing to replace the batteries at 80,000 miles or 5 years, etc. so everyone should just plan on putting $3000 into an old car. I've never known anyone who's had to do this, do you? *knock on wood*
 

mine had a 7 year, 80k warranty...got up to about 60k no problems, until a tree fell on its roof and totaled it
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 13, 2020 - 2:04pm



 cc_rider wrote:

Batteries... have limited life

 

I know when E-cars were new there was talk about needing to replace the batteries at 80,000 miles or 5 years, etc. so everyone should just plan on putting $3000 into an old car. I've never known anyone who's had to do this, do you? *knock on wood*
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 13, 2020 - 1:26pm



 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 westslope wrote:


 
That is what my mother said.  Mind you, she had all kinds of not nice things to say.  Far too often.  

Agree with the rest.   Please share any and all thoughts on internal combustion engines.

I am doing my best to reduce, by hiking or bicycling into the downtown village area, for example.  When I do use an automobile, I want it to be in excellent working condition, fuel-efficient with minimum emissions, safe and reliable.  

 
Sorry it took a year to respond. I didn't even realize there was a request. 

The internal combustion engine is a marvel of tech... especially these days.
Today's engines are amazing. They are so controlled by computers, that they run at the top of efficiency for the best gas mileage, emission reduction and reliability. All the time.
To give you an example... there's sensors in the water jacket that listen for detonation in any of the cylinders. When detected... the computer will ever so slightly retard the ignition in that one cylinder to kill the pinging. This is why you need to run the correct octane required for your car. If you choose to run a lower octane to save money... your car will still work. But because the computer is automatically retarding your timing to stop the detonation... you're losing power and contributing to more pollutants into the air.
It's hard to beat the carbon footprint of an internal combustion engine compared to that of a battery powered vehicle today. Not to mention the cost between the two.
Now if they ever get the batteries to work better, and to get them less rotten for the environment (mining raw materials/ disposing/ charging without using electricity/ etc.) life would be good.
This all takes time. I remember when they first legislated emissions on cars back in the mid / late 60's. It turned the engines into jokes. Horrible gas mileage with horrible performance. Especially in the mid 70's.
It took 25 years for technology to finally catch up. Even then it really took another almost 10 years to get it right. Now they are way better... more power and less pollutants at pretty much a discount price.

 Really good points.

Batteries require a ton of energy to manufacture, have limited life, and are expensive/difficult to dispose of/recycle. Not to mention, the electricity used to charge the batteries has to come from somewhere: fossils still power a big chunk of our grid. There's no such thing as a 'Zero Emissions Vehicle', not even a fuel cell-powered one. It takes energy to split them little hydrogens offa them little oxygens - where does that come from? Sure you can move the emissions around, but it's never 'zero'.

Even wind and solar energy devices require massive amounts of material and energy to produce and install. Ever seen one turbine blade being transported? By truck. Diesel-burning truck. Not to mention the support vehicles running around clearing intersections and checking overhead power lines. That's one blade, for one turbine. Not saying we shouldn't do it, just don't kid yourself how much pollution goes into making it.

If Mazda can get their SkyActiv X engine dialed in, it will be a sea change in ICE performance. I'm a big fan of Mazda - I think it's the last car company still run by actual engineers - but that engine technology is something special. In an industry where a fraction of a percent improvement is considered a win, they're looking at  10,15,20% or more increase in efficiency.

c.




KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 13, 2020 - 1:04pm



 westslope wrote:


 
That is what my mother said.  Mind you, she had all kinds of not nice things to say.  Far too often.  

Agree with the rest.   Please share any and all thoughts on internal combustion engines.

I am doing my best to reduce, by hiking or bicycling into the downtown village area, for example.  When I do use an automobile, I want it to be in excellent working condition, fuel-efficient with minimum emissions, safe and reliable.  

 
Sorry it took a year to respond. I didn't even realize there was a request. 
The internal combustion engine is a marvel of tech... especially these days.
Today's engines are amazing. They are so controlled by computers, that they run at the top of efficiency for the best gas mileage, emission reduction and reliability. All the time.
To give you an example... there's sensors in the water jacket that listen for detonation in any of the cylinders. When detected... the computer will ever so slightly retard the ignition in that one cylinder to kill the pinging. This is why you need to run the correct octane required for your car. If you choose to run a lower octane to save money... your car will still work. But because the computer is automatically retarding your timing to stop the detonation... you're losing power and contributing to more pollutants into the air.
It's hard to beat the carbon footprint of an internal combustion engine compared to that of a battery powered vehicle today. Not to mention the cost between the two.
Now if they ever get the batteries to work better, and to get them less rotten for the environment (mining raw materials/ disposing/ charging without using electricity/ etc.) life would be good.
This all takes time. I remember when they first legislated emissions on cars back in the mid / late 60's. It turned the engines into jokes. Horrible gas mileage with horrible performance. Especially in the mid 70's.
It took 25 years for technology to finally catch up. Even then it really took another almost 10 years to get it right. Now they are way better... more power and less pollutants at pretty much a discount price.

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 13, 2020 - 10:23am

Yes.

From a page of Weird Ford Trucks from Brazil
Egctheow

Egctheow Avatar

Location: In over my head
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 28, 2019 - 12:48am



 Proclivities wrote:
from Sports Illustrated, Jan. 11, 1960

 

Nice one, thank you. The design of the rear end is quite mesmerising, as if they couldn't decide whether it was the front or the rear. Top is rear and bottom is front. I like the alien-esque tail lights. Are the bottom lights reverse lighting?

Could be used as a psych test, "what do you think when you look at this? a) she's getting ready for some comfy farting; b) she must be flashing, but why is he looking the other way?; c) I wonder what she's doing with her toes; d) What's in the boot?
That kind of test might tell you more about the shrink than about the patient though.
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Nov 27, 2019 - 3:42pm

Corbyn Confirms First People Hanged After Election Will Be The Convertible Land Rover Owners


Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 55, 56, 57  Next