- Steely_D - Aug 11, 2020 - 9:41pm
Looting & vandalism isn't protest
- kurtster - Aug 11, 2020 - 9:15pm
Counting with Pictures
- ScottN - Aug 11, 2020 - 8:30pm
- R_P - Aug 11, 2020 - 8:05pm
Those Lovable Policemen
- kurtster - Aug 11, 2020 - 7:19pm
Radio Paradise Comments
- Coaxial - Aug 11, 2020 - 6:35pm
- Red_Dragon - Aug 11, 2020 - 4:23pm
- Steely_D - Aug 11, 2020 - 4:14pm
- Steely_D - Aug 11, 2020 - 4:09pm
- Ohmsen - Aug 11, 2020 - 3:22pm
- Antigone - Aug 11, 2020 - 3:08pm
Things You Thought Today
- Antigone - Aug 11, 2020 - 2:55pm
Hell Is ...
- miamizsun - Aug 11, 2020 - 1:14pm
Jerry Garcia 10 years dead on Aug 9.
- Ohmsen - Aug 11, 2020 - 12:13pm
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum
- oldviolin - Aug 11, 2020 - 10:36am
- Ohmsen - Aug 11, 2020 - 9:57am
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests
- Ohmsen - Aug 11, 2020 - 9:49am
What Did You See Today?
- Coaxial - Aug 11, 2020 - 8:17am
- Coaxial - Aug 11, 2020 - 7:36am
HALF A WORLD
- oldviolin - Aug 11, 2020 - 6:55am
Message To Lucky
- Proclivities - Aug 11, 2020 - 6:38am
BRING OUT YOUR DEAD
- oldviolin - Aug 11, 2020 - 6:24am
Today in History
- Red_Dragon - Aug 11, 2020 - 5:37am
- haresfur - Aug 10, 2020 - 7:50pm
Hot Dog... it's Summer!
- miamizsun - Aug 10, 2020 - 12:40pm
Country Up The Bumpkin
- Ohmsen - Aug 10, 2020 - 12:20pm
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously
- R_P - Aug 10, 2020 - 11:00am
Play the Blues
- oldviolin - Aug 10, 2020 - 10:24am
- Ohmsen - Aug 10, 2020 - 1:59am
TV shows you watch
- Ohmsen - Aug 10, 2020 - 1:43am
Strips, cartoons, illustrations
- R_P - Aug 10, 2020 - 12:33am
Bug Reports & Feature Requests
- gtufano - Aug 9, 2020 - 10:39pm
Play RP My Favorites stream via HEOS services
- morefigs - Aug 9, 2020 - 6:21pm
• • • What's For Dinner ? • • •
- Red_Dragon - Aug 9, 2020 - 5:20pm
songs that ROCK!
- Ohmsen - Aug 9, 2020 - 4:14pm
Stuff I've Said Out Loud
- Antigone - Aug 9, 2020 - 2:40pm
- R_P - Aug 9, 2020 - 12:11pm
260,000 Posts in one thread?
- oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 9:32am
- islander - Aug 9, 2020 - 9:09am
- miamizsun - Aug 9, 2020 - 8:06am
what the hell, miamizsun?
- miamizsun - Aug 9, 2020 - 8:00am
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone
- oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 7:22am
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •
- oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 7:18am
- Antigone - Aug 9, 2020 - 6:24am
- BlueHeronDruid - Aug 9, 2020 - 1:17am
Crazy conspiracy theories
- R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 4:40pm
Our tolerance for opposing views
- R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:35pm
Private messages in a public forum
- miamizsun - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:25pm
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam)
- Red_Dragon - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:09pm
Race in America
- R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 11:00am
Gotta Get Your Drink On
- triskele - Aug 8, 2020 - 10:59am
Name My Band
- oldviolin - Aug 8, 2020 - 7:41am
Two questions. That's it. I promise.
- oldviolin - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:22pm
Mixtape Culture Club
- miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:53pm
- buddy - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:42pm
HELP! Sound Cutting out problem
- michael16 - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:14pm
A little smooth jazz never hurt anyone
- rhahl - Aug 7, 2020 - 1:51pm
- R_P - Aug 7, 2020 - 1:02pm
It seemed like a good idea at the time
- Proclivities - Aug 7, 2020 - 11:54am
What did you have for lunch?
- miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 8:55am
- miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 8:40am
- black321 - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:30am
New Song Submissions system
- Hastur_T - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:12am
Fake News* ? !
- miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:57am
Your favorite artist
- miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:44am
Reinstock '05 Link Repository
- Red_Dragon - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:38am
- R_P - Aug 6, 2020 - 9:01pm
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy
- R_P - Aug 6, 2020 - 7:41pm
Vinyl Only Spin List
- kurtster - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:34pm
kurtster's quiet vinyl
- kurtster - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:42pm
- rgio - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:25pm
Offset between Music and Song/Interpret Text, Silence...
- nicolas65 - Aug 6, 2020 - 11:23am
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest
- Red_Dragon - Aug 6, 2020 - 10:03am
Artists You Miss
- NoEnzLefttoSplit - Aug 6, 2020 - 8:30am
Museum Of Bad Album Covers
- Proclivities - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:34am
Radio Paradise/General »
General Discussion »
Capitalism and Consumerism... now what?
Page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7|
Aug 17, 2010 - 2:10am
I love the way proponents of Globalisation choose to overlook the flaw in their plan. Since Globalisation invariably means moving production to cheaper areas, the whole plan is undermined by the very consumers for whom the production is intended being put out of work by the Glabalisation process, and therefore being unable to consume.
Location: close to the edge
Aug 16, 2010 - 10:10pm
Consumerism was not an accident, and we didn't start out this way.
Shortly after the World War 2, President Eisenhower’s Council of Economic Advisors Chairman said that “The American economy’s
ultimate purpose is to produce more consumer goods.”
Not provide health care, or education, or safe transportation, or sustainability or justice or energy innovation, or discovery...
Included in this plan was planned obsolesence, so that Consumerism would thrive even futher.
This, supposedly, was going to fuel our massive, productive economy. But they didn't plan on globalization, and executive greed, and the massive pollution issues, and WHERE THE HELL were we planning to PUT all these obsolete consumer goods when they were discarded by 300 million Americans??
Go to page 9 for the Consumerism section.
Location: close to the edge
Aug 16, 2010 - 10:05pm
Capitalism and Consumerism in America
The American Dream. The possibility to become WILDLY wealthy. Taxes? meh, a skim off the top, really. There is no deterrent to just making as much money as you possibly can... it's encouraged really.
So, those who own and manage a company that is successful tend to enjoy a huge profit rather than put the money back into the company.
This, in itself, causes the failure of capitalism. Profits are not put into people and supplies and healthcare to make the people happy and healthy... the profits are put into buying things for the executives... often luxury items which benefit the US economy very little. ("Trickle down" does not — and never has — worked in any system involving humans.)
The way to boost the economy? Pay the workers. They buy stuff, they buy it nearby. When they're happy, they buy more.
This is one of the reasons we continue Unemployment Benefits... nothing stimulates the economy more directly. Alternately, nothing hurts the economy more than having a working class that can not buy food, clothing, or take care of their own health and housing.
Without regulation, the majority of humans will take for themselves. They will pollute and cut corners and do things that boost themselves, their comfort, their circumstances. Free market has proven itself unable to fix this. I would like to buy Christmas lights that last 10 years. I will pay extra for them. But they do not exist. I would like to buy a fridge that will last 25 years. They used to make them— hell, they all lasted that long, but they no longer build them that way.
Location: close to the edge
Aug 16, 2010 - 10:02pm
This topic has been eating at me for most of my adult life.
We are a consumer society.
It's ridiculously unsustainable.
How do we live through it? Can we change it? Can it ever be sustainable?