[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Radio Paradise Comments - buddy - Jul 4, 2020 - 8:13am
 
COVID-19 - buddy - Jul 4, 2020 - 8:09am
 
Trump - miamizsun - Jul 4, 2020 - 7:33am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Jul 4, 2020 - 5:23am
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - BlueHeronDruid - Jul 4, 2020 - 12:37am
 
Baseball, anyone? - buddy - Jul 4, 2020 - 12:26am
 
RP stops playing after a few minutes on iPod (iOS) - gtufano - Jul 3, 2020 - 11:33pm
 
New Music - R_P - Jul 3, 2020 - 6:50pm
 
Canada - westslope - Jul 3, 2020 - 3:38pm
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - Antigone - Jul 3, 2020 - 2:39pm
 
how do you feel right now? - miamizsun - Jul 3, 2020 - 1:54pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Jul 3, 2020 - 1:15pm
 
US Empire - R_P - Jul 3, 2020 - 12:46pm
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Jul 3, 2020 - 11:51am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Jul 3, 2020 - 10:39am
 
Things You Thought Today - Coaxial - Jul 3, 2020 - 10:08am
 
• • • PUZZLES • • • - BlueHeronDruid - Jul 3, 2020 - 10:02am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - buddy - Jul 3, 2020 - 8:48am
 
• • • Things Magicians Exclaim • • •  - oldviolin - Jul 3, 2020 - 8:20am
 
Bluos App and Vault 2 Streamer. Is it playing in Flac? - BillG - Jul 3, 2020 - 8:05am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Jul 3, 2020 - 8:04am
 
::odd but intriguing:: - oldviolin - Jul 3, 2020 - 8:01am
 
Questions. - oldviolin - Jul 3, 2020 - 7:47am
 
• • • Things Musicians Exclaim • • • - - oldviolin - Jul 3, 2020 - 7:46am
 
What the hell OV? - oldviolin - Jul 3, 2020 - 7:43am
 
Outstanding Covers - rhahl - Jul 3, 2020 - 7:12am
 
Why are 2 of the best albums of the last decade completel... - Johnny_B - Jul 3, 2020 - 3:44am
 
How are you coping/dealing with the crisis? - kurtster - Jul 3, 2020 - 2:44am
 
Oh, The Stupidity - haresfur - Jul 3, 2020 - 2:40am
 
Ask the Libertarian - rexi - Jul 3, 2020 - 1:30am
 
The Obituary Page - ScottFromWyoming - Jul 2, 2020 - 10:01pm
 
NASA & other news from space - R_P - Jul 2, 2020 - 7:45pm
 
What are you listening to now? - black321 - Jul 2, 2020 - 7:14pm
 
Anti-War - R_P - Jul 2, 2020 - 6:04pm
 
Vinyl for old timer - Steely_D - Jul 2, 2020 - 6:00pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Jul 2, 2020 - 5:03pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Jul 2, 2020 - 4:26pm
 
Now that is a great story! - miamizsun - Jul 2, 2020 - 4:14pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - miamizsun - Jul 2, 2020 - 4:12pm
 
Watch Now ! - miamizsun - Jul 2, 2020 - 4:06pm
 
Automotive Lust - Red_Dragon - Jul 2, 2020 - 1:53pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - ColdMiser - Jul 2, 2020 - 11:42am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - R_P - Jul 2, 2020 - 11:06am
 
Less Tori and more anything else ;p - hellojofo - Jul 2, 2020 - 10:13am
 
sonos service - mjvander - Jul 2, 2020 - 8:53am
 
Supreme Court Rulings - Red_Dragon - Jul 2, 2020 - 8:02am
 
Florida - rgio - Jul 2, 2020 - 8:01am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Isabeau - Jul 2, 2020 - 7:47am
 
Hey Baby, It's The 4th O' July - miamizsun - Jul 2, 2020 - 6:57am
 
Amazon Echo/Alexa stream not working - rochesimpson - Jul 1, 2020 - 3:31pm
 
Official date for our 20th Anniversary? - Windspirit - Jul 1, 2020 - 3:16pm
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - miamizsun - Jul 1, 2020 - 2:30pm
 
Republican Party - Red_Dragon - Jul 1, 2020 - 11:40am
 
Can't add RP service to Sonos - donot_spam - Jul 1, 2020 - 10:28am
 
Fox Spews - kurtster - Jun 30, 2020 - 9:21pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Jun 30, 2020 - 8:47pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - R_P - Jun 30, 2020 - 8:44pm
 
Capitalism and Consumerism... now what? - haresfur - Jun 30, 2020 - 6:56pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - Jun 30, 2020 - 2:24pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Jun 30, 2020 - 2:21pm
 
American Justice - cc_rider - Jun 30, 2020 - 1:08pm
 
Live Music - R_P - Jun 30, 2020 - 11:48am
 
More detailed album version tag? - anonym - Jun 30, 2020 - 11:24am
 
Nederland / The Netherlands - theo1 - Jun 30, 2020 - 10:32am
 
What is "Sonos" tracking in web browser - yobyot - Jun 30, 2020 - 7:57am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - kurtster - Jun 30, 2020 - 6:44am
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - Red_Dragon - Jun 30, 2020 - 5:28am
 
In My Room - Coaxial - Jun 30, 2020 - 4:58am
 
Electronic Music - R_P - Jun 29, 2020 - 8:50pm
 
RightWingNutZ - haresfur - Jun 29, 2020 - 8:24pm
 
China - KarmaKarma - Jun 29, 2020 - 7:10pm
 
Climate Change - buddy - Jun 29, 2020 - 5:17pm
 
Stop making sense - miamizsun - Jun 29, 2020 - 3:52pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - miamizsun - Jun 29, 2020 - 3:27pm
 
Favorite Quotes - black321 - Jun 29, 2020 - 1:59pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Those Lovable Policemen Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Post to this Topic
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 1:30pm

The former Atlanta police officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks after a DUI stop was charged with felony murder, aggravated assault and other offenses Wednesday, less than a week after the 27-year-old black man’s killing set off a new wave of protests against racism and police brutality.

Fulton County District Attorney Paul L. Howard announced a total of 11 charges against Garrett Rolfe at an afternoon news conference in downtown Atlanta, calling Brooks’s killing unjustified and finding that Brooks posed no threat to Rolfe’s life during the incident.

KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Jun 16, 2020 - 10:05pm

DEFUND THE POLICE!  Go right ahead, idiot Dems.  See what happens in November and beyond.

NSFW warning


Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jun 16, 2020 - 3:52pm

Twin Cities Area Police Forces Loaded Up On War Surplus Under President Trump
R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 16, 2020 - 3:37pm

Last year's apples.
steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Jun 16, 2020 - 4:43am



 haresfur wrote:


 steeler wrote:


 KarmaKarma wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

With seemingly ever other day, the police forces are being attacked and vilified for their actions, it would be interesting to have the opinions of anyone here who has family or relatives who are cops, or are in law enforcement.  

Are there any such forum readers around who want to speak up?  Or is that far too much to ask?
 

There is no question that the job of being a police officer has become much harder. There is a broad brush being wielded. But what, realistically, is the alternative right now? Should everyone just accept that these are just a few bad apples who should be disciplined and sometimes prosecuted and not make such a big deal of them as they occur, occur, and occur again?  

A crucial point in this debate: The relatively recent prevalence of cell phones and body cameras have brought many of these incidents to light — and to justice. In the past, many, if not most, would have gone undetected.  The police would not self-police. Are we to believe these incidents we now see with our own eyes are isolated ones or are they the proverbial tip of an iceberg that still exists?



 
I suspect that body camera video does more to get police off in investigations than they do to catch them doing the wrong thing. Maybe that's a naive view, thinking that they mostly follow procedures. But with that, they need to be subjected to disciplinary action if the have the cameras shut off when they should be on. Not only when stuff goes down, but it would be easy enough to log the footage times at the end of a shift and look for patterns of not using the cameras properly.

 
Yes, the legislative solution of requiring the use of body cameras in the District was adopted with that rationale being part of the thinking. The point was made over and over that the police themselves should want this because it would better protect them from false claims while exposing those who should be exposed. The police union did not oppose it. They supported it.  Similar stories nationwide when the use of body cameras has become mandatory. How could it not be seen as overall beneficial to the police? 

sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 16, 2020 - 4:17am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 
 

Will Adrienne Barbeau be there?

 
She is always with us.  She actually "starred" in a film shot a couple of miles down the river where I grew up.  This one is a classic:

 

haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 9:03pm



 steeler wrote:


 KarmaKarma wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

With seemingly ever other day, the police forces are being attacked and vilified for their actions, it would be interesting to have the opinions of anyone here who has family or relatives who are cops, or are in law enforcement.  

Are there any such forum readers around who want to speak up?  Or is that far too much to ask?
 

There is no question that the job of being a police officer has become much harder. There is a broad brush being wielded. But what, realistically, is the alternative right now? Should everyone just accept that these are just a few bad apples who should be disciplined and sometimes prosecuted and not make such a big deal of them as they occur, occur, and occur again?  

A crucial point in this debate: The relatively recent prevalence of cell phones and body cameras have brought many of these incidents to light — and to justice. In the past, many, if not most, would have gone undetected.  The police would not self-police. Are we to believe these incidents we now see with our own eyes are isolated ones or are they the proverbial tip of an iceberg that still exists?



 
I suspect that body camera video does more to get police off in investigations than they do to catch them doing the wrong thing. Maybe that's a naive view, thinking that they mostly follow procedures. But with that, they need to be subjected to disciplinary action if the have the cameras shut off when they should be on. Not only when stuff goes down, but it would be easy enough to log the footage times at the end of a shift and look for patterns of not using the cameras properly.

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 6:22pm

 steeler wrote:
The relatively recent prevalence of cell phones and body cameras have brought many of these incidents to light — and to justice. In the past, many, if not most, would have gone undetected.  The police would not self-police. Are we to believe these incidents we now see with our own eyes are isolated ones or are they the proverbial tip of an iceberg that still exists?


steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 6:13pm



 KarmaKarma wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

With seemingly ever other day, the police forces are being attacked and vilified for their actions, it would be interesting to have the opinions of anyone here who has family or relatives who are cops, or are in law enforcement.  

Are there any such forum readers around who want to speak up?  Or is that far too much to ask?
 

There is no question that the job of being a police officer has become much harder. There is a broad brush being wielded. But what, realistically, is the alternative right now? Should everyone just accept that these are just a few bad apples who should be disciplined and sometimes prosecuted and not make such a big deal of them as they occur, occur, and occur again?  

A crucial point in this debate: The relatively recent prevalence of cell phones and body cameras have brought many of these incidents to light — and to justice. In the past, many, if not most, would have gone undetected.  The police would not self-police. Are we to believe these incidents we now see with our own eyes are isolated ones or are they the proverbial tip of an iceberg that still exists?



R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 5:02pm

 KarmaKarma wrote:
(...) Or is that far too much to ask?
 
Depends on who's asking...
KarmaKarma

KarmaKarma Avatar



Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 4:57pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 

With seemingly ever other day, the police forces are being attacked and vilified for their actions, it would be interesting to have the opinions of anyone here who has family or relatives who are cops, or are in law enforcement.  

Are there any such forum readers around who want to speak up?  Or is that far too much to ask?
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 3:22pm



 haresfur wrote:


 rgio wrote:


 
Welcome to voter suppression and a system that gives inordinate power to small population states that already have inordinate power in the senate

 
This may come as a shock, but slavery is at the root of the it all. I know, shocked. The system was constructed to keep slave-holding states satisfied - the Constitution would never have been ratified without concessions on slavery. Slave states feared their smaller populations (of white male landowners, anyway) would be steamrolled by more populous states. Same for the Electoral College. It was never really about insulating the election from some kind of populist hysteria, it was designed to appease the slave states.

In practice, it has become THE vehicle of populist hysteria. See 'Trump, Donald J.'
c.

Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 3:10pm

kurtster wrote:
Sanctuary laws are designed to obstruct federal immigration laws and policies.

Maybe you could get the federal government to sue to overturn them. Must be a friendly judge who sees it your way somewhere in the judicial branch, right? Maybe one of the C students in law school or something?

Well, about that...


haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 2:48pm



 rgio wrote:


 islander wrote:
 
All of that may be true... but DJT is the GOAT on never allowing facts to spoil an argument built on fear and anger.   The base doesn't care.  What amazes me is that he is the only politician I know of who doesn't seem to care about saying anything to attract new followers?  He won last time and somehow believes he'll figure it out again.
 
Welcome to voter suppression and a system that gives inordinate power to small population states that already have inordinate power in the senate

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 2:41pm

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:

Will Adrienne Barbeau be there?
 
I've asked that question so many times...
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 2:04pm



 sirdroseph wrote:
Hey let's do some police defunding and reform. If it works and improves the police and citizen relationship, great. If not we can always go this route for all urban centers:

 

 

 

 

Will Adrienne Barbeau be there?
rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 12:09pm



 kurtster wrote:

Sanctuary laws are designed to obstruct federal immigration laws and policies.
 
That's wrong.  They are designed to promote the safety of the community by encouraging everyone (including illegals) to report crime.

They in no way obstruct immigration law or policy...they just don't do ICE's job for them.

sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 12:03pm

Hey let's do some police defunding and reform. If it works and improves the police and citizen relationship, great. If not we can always go this route for all urban centers:

 

 

 

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 11:36am

 Lazy8 wrote:
kurtster wrote:
Citing the SPLC kills you before you get started, just sayin'.  You're just trying to wave your virtue signaling flag.

And something two years old commenting on something even older, fail.

The argument about defunding sanctuary entities does not address my concern which is that state and local enacted laws establishing sanctuary policies are not constitutional, period.

Just as it takes an act of Congress to defund sanctuary entities, it also takes an act of Congress to establish laws regarding immigration practices and procedures.

Does anyone remember Arizona and Gov Brewer vs Obama / Holder on some of the very same types of laws ?  Arizona lost when it got to court, even though their laws mirrored Congress'.

Dodge, again ...

SPLC has its problems, but their description of the actual state of the law (straightforward factual information you can look up to verify) is spot on.

You can argue about the impact of sanctuary cities on various things, but the law around them is clear and settled.

Arizona lost its case in front of the Supreme Court because Arizona was trying to control immigration law, a clear federal responsibility. States do not have that authority, just as they are not required to enforce immigration law or help the feds in their efforts. Sanctuary laws are well within state and municipal authority and constitutional limits. Get over it.
 
Sanctuary laws are designed to obstruct federal immigration laws and policies.
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 11:03am

kurtster wrote:
Citing the SPLC kills you before you get started, just sayin'.  You're just trying to wave your virtue signaling flag.

And something two years old commenting on something even older, fail.

The argument about defunding sanctuary entities does not address my concern which is that state and local enacted laws establishing sanctuary policies are not constitutional, period.

Just as it takes an act of Congress to defund sanctuary entities, it also takes an act of Congress to establish laws regarding immigration practices and procedures.

Does anyone remember Arizona and Gov Brewer vs Obama / Holder on some of the very same types of laws ?  Arizona lost when it got to court, even though their laws mirrored Congress'.

Dodge, again ...

SPLC has its problems, but their description of the actual state of the law (straightforward factual information you can look up to verify) is spot on.

You can argue about the impact of sanctuary cities on various things, but the law around them is clear and settled.

Arizona lost its case in front of the Supreme Court because Arizona was trying to control immigration law, a clear federal responsibility. States do not have that authority, just as they are not required to enforce immigration law or help the feds in their efforts. Sanctuary laws are well within state and municipal authority and constitutional limits. Get over it.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next