[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Trump - R_P - Apr 4, 2020 - 12:46pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Apr 4, 2020 - 12:38pm
 
How are you coping/dealing with the crisis? - miamizsun - Apr 4, 2020 - 12:36pm
 
Embedding Tweets - miamizsun - Apr 4, 2020 - 12:22pm
 
Amazon Prime Members - Free Streaming of Selected Movies ... - miamizsun - Apr 4, 2020 - 12:21pm
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - Apr 4, 2020 - 11:53am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - KarmaKarma - Apr 4, 2020 - 11:06am
 
Questions. - miamizsun - Apr 4, 2020 - 10:26am
 
Name My Band - buddy - Apr 4, 2020 - 9:18am
 
Baseball, anyone? - triskele - Apr 4, 2020 - 9:06am
 
Things You Thought Today - miamizsun - Apr 4, 2020 - 8:32am
 
Bob Dylan - Ohmsen - Apr 4, 2020 - 8:24am
 
Today in History - hayduke2 - Apr 4, 2020 - 8:00am
 
The Obituary Page - olivertwist - Apr 4, 2020 - 7:01am
 
The war on funk is over! - R_P - Apr 4, 2020 - 12:27am
 
Earthquake in So. Cal - kurtster - Apr 3, 2020 - 10:09pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Apr 3, 2020 - 8:54pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Apr 3, 2020 - 8:54pm
 
RightWingNutZ - Coaxial - Apr 3, 2020 - 8:52pm
 
Apropos of Nothing - miamizsun - Apr 3, 2020 - 8:44pm
 
Let Him Swing? - R_P - Apr 3, 2020 - 8:42pm
 
Republican Party - KarmaKarma - Apr 3, 2020 - 8:07pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Apr 3, 2020 - 7:34pm
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - Coaxial - Apr 3, 2020 - 7:10pm
 
What Are You Grateful For? - jahgirl8 - Apr 3, 2020 - 6:42pm
 
Photos you have taken of yourself - jahgirl8 - Apr 3, 2020 - 6:33pm
 
Fox Spews - R_P - Apr 3, 2020 - 6:09pm
 
How you coping/dealing with the crisis? - Red_Dragon - Apr 3, 2020 - 2:56pm
 
Poetry Forum - Antigone - Apr 3, 2020 - 2:44pm
 
Thanks to BillG & Rebecca! - KTlistening - Apr 3, 2020 - 2:34pm
 
♥ ♥ ♥ Vote For Pie ♥ ♥ ♥ - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 3, 2020 - 1:35pm
 
Things that are just WRONG - Isabeau - Apr 3, 2020 - 1:24pm
 
Graphs, Charts & Maps - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Apr 3, 2020 - 10:07am
 
R.I.P. Bill Withers - westslope - Apr 3, 2020 - 9:54am
 
Art Show - Proclivities - Apr 3, 2020 - 5:20am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - sunybuny - Apr 3, 2020 - 5:12am
 
The alternate universe - BlueHeronDruid - Apr 3, 2020 - 12:26am
 
New Zealand - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Apr 2, 2020 - 11:55pm
 
Economix - R_P - Apr 2, 2020 - 10:45pm
 
Last gas price paid? - ScottFromWyoming - Apr 2, 2020 - 10:08pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Apr 2, 2020 - 9:15pm
 
Rhetorical questions - kurtster - Apr 2, 2020 - 8:38pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - michaelgmitchell - Apr 2, 2020 - 8:37pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - KarmaKarma - Apr 2, 2020 - 7:10pm
 
Canada - westslope - Apr 2, 2020 - 6:04pm
 
Flower Pictures - Antigone - Apr 2, 2020 - 5:54pm
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - BlueHeronDruid - Apr 2, 2020 - 4:46pm
 
songs that ROCK! - rhahl - Apr 2, 2020 - 4:20pm
 
More reggae, less Marley please - rhahl - Apr 2, 2020 - 4:03pm
 
Favorite Quotes - jahgirl8 - Apr 2, 2020 - 3:27pm
 
John Prine - Paradise - Peabody Energy on verge of Ch... - jahgirl8 - Apr 2, 2020 - 3:22pm
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - jahgirl8 - Apr 2, 2020 - 3:18pm
 
Manbird's Episiotomy Stitch Licking Clinic - KEEP OUT - jahgirl8 - Apr 2, 2020 - 1:24pm
 
Tech & Science - rhahl - Apr 2, 2020 - 1:01pm
 
Sonos - Hawklord - Apr 2, 2020 - 8:59am
 
Unresearched Conspiracy Theories - R_P - Apr 1, 2020 - 11:17pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - Red_Dragon - Apr 1, 2020 - 5:20pm
 
What do you snack on? - kurtster - Apr 1, 2020 - 3:53pm
 
Quick! I need a chicken... - jahgirl8 - Apr 1, 2020 - 12:47pm
 
interesting reading - jahgirl8 - Apr 1, 2020 - 12:35pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - sirdroseph - Apr 1, 2020 - 10:40am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Apr 1, 2020 - 9:40am
 
April Fool's Day - Antigone - Apr 1, 2020 - 6:00am
 
Venezuela - R_P - Mar 31, 2020 - 5:58pm
 
Songs etc • Where do they take you? - Alexandra - Mar 31, 2020 - 5:24pm
 
Jazz - buddy - Mar 31, 2020 - 4:56pm
 
Friends of Bill W? - jahgirl8 - Mar 31, 2020 - 4:52pm
 
Regarding dogs - jahgirl8 - Mar 31, 2020 - 4:27pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - buddy - Mar 31, 2020 - 4:04pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - jahgirl8 - Mar 31, 2020 - 4:04pm
 
I Just Saw . . . - oldviolin - Mar 31, 2020 - 3:35pm
 
Automotive Lust - jahgirl8 - Mar 31, 2020 - 3:26pm
 
A designers worst nightmare - jahgirl8 - Mar 31, 2020 - 2:31pm
 
Small-town news - Proclivities - Mar 31, 2020 - 1:23pm
 
Türkiye - mcan543 - Mar 31, 2020 - 10:50am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Fix My Car Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 142, 143, 144  Next
Post to this Topic
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 23, 2019 - 11:31am

 aflanigan wrote:


 SeriousLee wrote:
I almost forgot. I had the car looked at and they couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing because it was hot the few days between the water leaking and the appoinment that the water could have easily evaporated from the condensate  pan. They ran the car with the A/C on and no leaking. The water drained through the drain tube alright.

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 
 

Perhaps you have magic albino unicorns living behind your dashboard, the kind that urinate clear liquid once each summer
 
No unicorns here.

Just little monkeys.

aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 22, 2019 - 12:24pm

 oldviolin wrote:

Sounds like the voice of experience to me Mr. Horno Plenty...
 
The voice of exuberance whispers sweet words of epismetology in your ear and speaks to you of the pompatus of love.
Try it; it'll drive your unicorns crazy
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 22, 2019 - 10:52am



 SeriousLee wrote:
......

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 

 
Is there enough room to take a digital photograph?    Something to think about next time the magic unicorns act up.  

If you are living in a part of the world with a sense of humour, you could go back to shop and tell them that your buddies advized you to photograph the unicorns hard at work.    From there on out, the service manager and mechanics would remember you and either give the best possible service or the worst, depending.  

oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 22, 2019 - 9:01am



 aflanigan wrote:


 SeriousLee wrote:
I almost forgot. I had the car looked at and they couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing because it was hot the few days between the water leaking and the appoinment that the water could have easily evaporated from the condensate  pan. They ran the car with the A/C on and no leaking. The water drained through the drain tube alright.

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 

 

Perhaps you have magic albino unicorns living behind your dashboard, the kind that urinate clear liquid once each summer
 

Sounds like the voice of experience to me Mr. Horno Plenty...

aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 22, 2019 - 8:37am



 SeriousLee wrote:
I almost forgot. I had the car looked at and they couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing because it was hot the few days between the water leaking and the appoinment that the water could have easily evaporated from the condensate  pan. They ran the car with the A/C on and no leaking. The water drained through the drain tube alright.

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 

 

Perhaps you have magic albino unicorns living behind your dashboard, the kind that urinate clear liquid once each summer
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 20, 2019 - 12:38pm

I almost forgot. I had the car looked at and they couldn't find anything.

I'm guessing because it was hot the few days between the water leaking and the appoinment that the water could have easily evaporated from the condensate  pan. They ran the car with the A/C on and no leaking. The water drained through the drain tube alright.

Now at least I know where the drain tube is. 
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 3:03pm



 aflanigan wrote:


 SeriousLee wrote:


 westslope wrote:
re:  SL's wet toyota

North American model, I would think.  

In the absence of ramps or a hydraulic jack and jack stands, you can drive the right wheels up on to a raised street curb.   That will give you room to wiggle underneath the vehicle.

But if the vehicle is only one year old, it should still be on warranty.  Assuming it is, ask the shop/mechanic nicely if the mechanic can directly show what the problem and how s/he fixed it.   That way you can take care of the problem in the future without having to go back to the shop.


What model of Toyota is it?  Would expect a chat forum specialized in that model or a group of similar models to provide some insight with careful searches.  

You might have to remove a wheel well cover to get at the drain.  Typically simple but tedious.  
 

Exactly. That's what I'm planning. Show me what the problem is. It's a 2018 RAV4, front-wheel drive.

My googling the problem didn't turn up anything specific for a 2018 RAV4, but a bunch of them for other Toyota models/years. As far as I know, it's a NA model.
 

I was guessing European based on your photo, but what I thought was the interior door frame next to gas pedal must be the center console.
 
Yes, it's the center console. Going to the dealership on Thursday. Hoping they'll let me take some pics.

Egctheow

Egctheow Avatar

Location: In over my head
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 12:43pm



 westslope wrote:


 Egctheow wrote:
We drive on the right and the wheel's on the left, and the UK and Ireland do it the other way. Or I have severe left right disorientation :-)
 
Fixed. :-)


Sorry, I know exactly what you meant but couldn't resist :-) How many times have I taken a turn and thought to myself, dude, it was your other right you had to take. So I do have right left disorientation (among others). My favourite is Bill's location, "left coast".  Wouldn't that be something a country where you have to drive on the west side of the road :-)? That would keep us on our toes, while we still have any at least. Then again, we'd really be in trouble for east/west roads. Relative does have some perks as opposed to absolute I guess :-)


westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 12:20pm



 Egctheow wrote:
We drive on the right and the wheel's on the left, and the UK and Ireland do it the other way. Or I have severe left right disorientation :-)
 
Fixed. :-)

Egctheow

Egctheow Avatar

Location: In over my head
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 11:45am

We drive on the right and the wheel's on the left, and the UK and Ireland do it the other way. Or I have severe left right disorientation :-)
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 11:25am



 aflanigan wrote:
.....
 

I was guessing European based on your photo, but what I thought was the interior door frame next to gas pedal must be the center console.
 

I thought that was the case.   The photo was indeed confusing.  

But what do you mean by "European"?  Most Europeans drive on the left right side of the road so the steering wheel is on the left.  The UK and Ireland are exceptions.  
aflanigan

aflanigan Avatar

Location: At Sea
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 15, 2019 - 9:08am



 SeriousLee wrote:


 westslope wrote:
re:  SL's wet toyota

North American model, I would think.  

In the absence of ramps or a hydraulic jack and jack stands, you can drive the right wheels up on to a raised street curb.   That will give you room to wiggle underneath the vehicle.

But if the vehicle is only one year old, it should still be on warranty.  Assuming it is, ask the shop/mechanic nicely if the mechanic can directly show what the problem and how s/he fixed it.   That way you can take care of the problem in the future without having to go back to the shop.


What model of Toyota is it?  Would expect a chat forum specialized in that model or a group of similar models to provide some insight with careful searches.  

You might have to remove a wheel well cover to get at the drain.  Typically simple but tedious.  
 

Exactly. That's what I'm planning. Show me what the problem is. It's a 2018 RAV4, front-wheel drive.

My googling the problem didn't turn up anything specific for a 2018 RAV4, but a bunch of them for other Toyota models/years. As far as I know, it's a NA model.
 

I was guessing European based on your photo, but what I thought was the interior door frame next to gas pedal must be the center console.
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 3:23pm



 westslope wrote:


 SeriousLee wrote:
......
 
From that Forums link:
"I had some work done on my car and the mechanic forgot to put the drain pipe outside..."

We did have some regular maintenance done in the car a few weeks back. Hmmm...
 
Well, if surgeons can leave tools and towels behind inside the patient's body cavity, I would mechanics to make the odd mistake.   :-)   

At least I do not think of auto mechanics as folks who go out of their way to defraud customers, unlike dentists.  

 

Don't get me started. 
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 3:06pm



 SeriousLee wrote:
......
 
From that Forums link:
"I had some work done on my car and the mechanic forgot to put the drain pipe outside..."

We did have some regular maintenance done in the car a few weeks back. Hmmm...
 
Well, if surgeons can leave tools and towels behind inside the patient's body cavity, I would expect mechanics to make the odd mistake.   :-)   

At least I do not think of auto mechanics as folks who go out of their way to defraud customers, unlike dentists.  

SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 2:15pm



 westslope wrote:
From  Toyota RAV4 Forums, pasted:


The drain is clogged. Just blow some compressed air up the drain tube (underneath the car) to dislodge any debris in the drain.



Here is a more complicated fix:   Cheap Remedy for AC Evaporator Core Housing Water Leak to Stop Wet Carpets


Would still head back to the dealership and get it to fix the problem.
 
From that Forums link:
"I had some work done on my car and the mechanic forgot to put the drain pipe outside..."

We did have some regular maintenance done in the car a few weeks back. Hmmm...
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 1:50pm

From  Toyota RAV4 Forums, pasted:


The drain is clogged. Just blow some compressed air up the drain tube (underneath the car) to dislodge any debris in the drain.



Here is a more complicated fix:   Cheap Remedy for AC Evaporator Core Housing Water Leak to Stop Wet Carpets


Would still head back to the dealership and get it to fix the problem.
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 1:39pm



 westslope wrote:
re:  SL's wet toyota

North American model, I would think.  

In the absence of ramps or a hydraulic jack and jack stands, you can drive the right wheels up on to a raised street curb.   That will give you room to wiggle underneath the vehicle.

But if the vehicle is only one year old, it should still be on warranty.  Assuming it is, ask the shop/mechanic nicely if the mechanic can directly show what the problem and how s/he fixed it.   That way you can take care of the problem in the future without having to go back to the shop.


What model of Toyota is it?  Would expect a chat forum specialized in that model or a group of similar models to provide some insight with careful searches.  

You might have to remove a wheel well cover to get at the drain.  Typically simple but tedious.  
 

Exactly. That's what I'm planning. Show me what the problem is. It's a 2018 RAV4, front-wheel drive.

My googling the problem didn't turn up anything specific for a 2018 RAV4, but a bunch of them for other Toyota models/years. As far as I know, it's a NA model.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 1:33pm

re:  SL's wet toyota

North American model, I would think.  

In the absence of ramps or a hydraulic jack and jack stands, you can drive the right wheels up on to a raised street curb.   That will give you room to wiggle underneath the vehicle.

But if the vehicle is only one year old, it should still be on warranty.  Assuming it is, ask the shop/mechanic nicely if the mechanic can directly show what the problem and how s/he fixed it.   That way you can take care of the problem in the future without having to go back to the shop.

What model of Toyota is it?  Would expect a chat forum specialized in that model or a group of similar models to provide some insight with careful searches.  

You might have to remove a wheel well cover to get at the drain.  Typically simple but tedious.  
SeriousLee

SeriousLee Avatar

Location: Dans l'milieu d'deux milles livres


Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 1:10pm



 aflanigan wrote:
Dollars to donuts it is condensate from the evaporator. In US (left hand drive) cars it shows up on the passenger side, this is a European model I'm guessing?

Likely the drain tube is clogged and unable to allow water in the condensate pan to drain. Another possibility is that the upper end of the tube is disconnected, or it has a hole in it somewhere.

Easiest way to deal with it is find the drain tube and carefully attempt to unclog it. You can take it to a garage and they will lift it and blow compressed air up the drain tube, which usually does the job.

Or you can crawl under with the car on ramps and see if you can find the lower end of the drain tube. It may have a drop of water from seepage past the clog.

Try googling your model and "clogged condensate drain" for videos

 SeriousLee wrote:
Discovered today that there is water leaking on the front driver side. Did some googling and it turns out it seems to be a regular problem with many Toyotas over the years.

The water is coming down from under the side panel, by the gas pedal. I poured a huge bucket of water on the windshield just to see and nothing came through. I'm guessing it's happening when i have the air conditioner on, which i did yesterday on our drive down from the city.

Car is only a little over a year old so i'm hoping the warranty will cover the repairs.



 


 
I have no means to put the car on ramps. But from taking a peek under, I don't think I could even see where the problem is. The area where the problem seems to be is all covered/blocked. I popped the hood but again, I can't see in the area I want to look.

My wife took it for a drive without the air conditioning on and there were some water droplets on the mat just below the panel by the gas pedal. Of course, that could be remnant from the water I poured on the windshield earlier, or even from the drive from the city with the A/C on, who knows.

Time for a trip to the dealer.

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jul 14, 2019 - 1:00pm

 SeriousLee wrote:
Discovered today that there is water leaking on the front driver side. Did some googling and it turns out it seems to be a regular problem with many Toyotas over the years.

The water is coming down from under the side panel, by the gas pedal. I poured a huge bucket of water on the windshield just to see and nothing came through. I'm guessing it's happening when i have the air conditioner on, which i did yesterday on our drive down from the city.

Car is only a little over a year old so i'm hoping the warranty will cover the repairs.

20190714_132746
20190714_132806

 
I'm with Flanie. I had this problem with my early 80's BMWs. The drain line(s) from the tray under the evaporator are clogged with schmutz, so the tray is overflowing.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 142, 143, 144  Next