[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

COVID-19 - rgio - Aug 12, 2020 - 2:41pm
 
True Confessions - Antigone - Aug 12, 2020 - 2:29pm
 
TV shows you watch - Ohmsen - Aug 12, 2020 - 2:18pm
 
Message To Lucky - miamizsun - Aug 12, 2020 - 1:59pm
 
Joe Biden - miamizsun - Aug 12, 2020 - 1:49pm
 
Things You Thought Today - miamizsun - Aug 12, 2020 - 1:41pm
 
There is another Jo - miamizsun - Aug 12, 2020 - 1:34pm
 
2020 Elections - miamizsun - Aug 12, 2020 - 1:27pm
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - miamizsun - Aug 12, 2020 - 1:25pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - miamizsun - Aug 12, 2020 - 1:09pm
 
Trump - R_P - Aug 12, 2020 - 12:13pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Aug 12, 2020 - 9:34am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - Oldfan - Aug 12, 2020 - 7:04am
 
Amazon Echo/Alexa stream not working - jarro - Aug 12, 2020 - 5:29am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Aug 12, 2020 - 5:27am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - sunybuny - Aug 12, 2020 - 5:17am
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Aug 11, 2020 - 8:30pm
 
Those Lovable Policemen - kurtster - Aug 11, 2020 - 7:19pm
 
Republican Party - Red_Dragon - Aug 11, 2020 - 4:23pm
 
Better Together - Steely_D - Aug 11, 2020 - 4:14pm
 
Krautrock - Ohmsen - Aug 11, 2020 - 3:22pm
 
Hell Is ... - miamizsun - Aug 11, 2020 - 1:14pm
 
Jerry Garcia 10 years dead on Aug 9. - Ohmsen - Aug 11, 2020 - 12:13pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - oldviolin - Aug 11, 2020 - 10:36am
 
Climate Change - Ohmsen - Aug 11, 2020 - 9:57am
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - Ohmsen - Aug 11, 2020 - 9:49am
 
What Did You See Today? - Coaxial - Aug 11, 2020 - 8:17am
 
Outstanding Covers - Coaxial - Aug 11, 2020 - 7:36am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Aug 11, 2020 - 6:24am
 
Breaking News - haresfur - Aug 10, 2020 - 7:50pm
 
Hot Dog... it's Summer! - miamizsun - Aug 10, 2020 - 12:40pm
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - Ohmsen - Aug 10, 2020 - 12:20pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Aug 10, 2020 - 11:00am
 
Play the Blues - oldviolin - Aug 10, 2020 - 10:24am
 
Lebanon - Ohmsen - Aug 10, 2020 - 1:59am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Aug 10, 2020 - 12:33am
 
Play RP My Favorites stream via HEOS services - morefigs - Aug 9, 2020 - 6:21pm
 
• • •  What's For Dinner ? • • •  - Red_Dragon - Aug 9, 2020 - 5:20pm
 
songs that ROCK! - Ohmsen - Aug 9, 2020 - 4:14pm
 
Stuff I've Said Out Loud - Antigone - Aug 9, 2020 - 2:40pm
 
Amazing animals! - R_P - Aug 9, 2020 - 12:11pm
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 9:32am
 
Automotive Lust - islander - Aug 9, 2020 - 9:09am
 
Florida - miamizsun - Aug 9, 2020 - 8:06am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 7:22am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Aug 9, 2020 - 7:18am
 
Poetry Forum - Antigone - Aug 9, 2020 - 6:24am
 
Gardeners Corner - BlueHeronDruid - Aug 9, 2020 - 1:17am
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 4:40pm
 
Our tolerance for opposing views - R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:35pm
 
Private messages in a public forum - miamizsun - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:25pm
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - Red_Dragon - Aug 8, 2020 - 12:09pm
 
Race in America - R_P - Aug 8, 2020 - 11:00am
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - triskele - Aug 8, 2020 - 10:59am
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Aug 8, 2020 - 7:41am
 
Two questions. That's it. I promise. - oldviolin - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:22pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:53pm
 
New Music - buddy - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
HELP! Sound Cutting out problem - michael16 - Aug 7, 2020 - 2:14pm
 
A little smooth jazz never hurt anyone - rhahl - Aug 7, 2020 - 1:51pm
 
It seemed like a good idea at the time - Proclivities - Aug 7, 2020 - 11:54am
 
What did you have for lunch? - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 8:55am
 
American Justice - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 8:40am
 
Music Videos - black321 - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:30am
 
New Song Submissions system - Hastur_T - Aug 7, 2020 - 7:12am
 
Fake News*  ?  ! - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:57am
 
Your favorite artist - miamizsun - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:44am
 
Reinstock '05 Link Repository - Red_Dragon - Aug 7, 2020 - 5:38am
 
China - R_P - Aug 6, 2020 - 9:01pm
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - R_P - Aug 6, 2020 - 7:41pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Aug 6, 2020 - 5:34pm
 
kurtster's quiet vinyl - kurtster - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:42pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - rgio - Aug 6, 2020 - 2:25pm
 
Offset between Music and Song/Interpret Text, Silence... - nicolas65 - Aug 6, 2020 - 11:23am
 
Derplahoma Questions and Points of Interest - Red_Dragon - Aug 6, 2020 - 10:03am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Fix My Car Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next
Post to this Topic
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:53pm



 haresfur wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
 
Diesel? Otherwise, where do you put the spark plug?

And what's with the other set of rings on the right?



 opposed-piston engine, yes - exclusively diesel, I believe



haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:50pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
 
Diesel? Otherwise, where do you put the spark plug?

And what's with the other set of rings on the right?

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 28, 2020 - 3:22pm

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 19, 2020 - 11:46am



 kurtster wrote:

Do be careful with Michelins.  While they are excellent wearing tires, the rubber is too hard for in control slick wet driving.  Been there done that.  Great dry or in sticky snow, but be extra careful when things get slippery.  They tend to break traction a little too easily when braking.
 
Missed this one when you posted 3 months ago Kurtster.  Thanks but frankly I believe your advice is misleading, at least for the models of Michelin tires I chose.  For context, we used to live extremely wet Greater Vancouver where the biggest natural threat on the road were rain storms of biblical proportions.  Now we live in an area where the greatest natural threat is 'black ice' — tire choice does not matter so much but some knowledge of basic physics and local knowledge of roads help. We do on occasion still descend into the wet belt near the coast.

The 4-season Michelin LTX tires on the Xterra 4X4 handle great in the wet.  In passing, if 'wet' is a danger, you really want to avoid AT (All Terrain) tires no matter how cool and sexy they look in the parking lot.  AT tires do not sipe water away as well as they could. 

The 4-season Michelin Cross Climates we put on the Kia Soul are highly rated for a number of conditions, including 'wet'.   So far, I am impressed under a number of driving conditions.  

The plan is simple:  buy used or inexpensive new vehicles, keep them forever and then take advantage of the savings to spend on top-quality tires and synthetic oils.   

Top quality synthetic motor oil exhibits lower evaporation rates which can be particularly useful for avoiding problems in GDI engines such as fouling of the intake valves.   GDI = gasoline direct injection.  Large numbers of cars with GDI engines are experiencing oil burning and/or loss issues.  Example, 3 litres of extra oil must be added between oil changes, a situation that many would regard as completely and utterly unacceptable.  Despite what dealerships are saying.  

cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 16, 2020 - 1:22pm



 westslope wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
 
No for a similar set up.  But advice, yes.  First, does that Ford Focus SE have a GDI or multi-port engine?   GDI = gasoline direct injection.

If it has a GDI engine, I would change it yesterday.  I would plan on switching out the PCV valve in the next 20 to 30K miles.  Using an intake valve cleaner prior to every oil change or every second oil change would also be a good idea.  

What oil change interval does the vehicle user manual recommend for vehicles under warranty?  I would follow that recommendation until you have a better understanding of the engine.

If it is a multi-port engine and behaves well, I would buy expensive premium synthetic oil, e.g., Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, an expensive, long-life oil filter and target changing the oil once a year as long as the miles driven are not too excessive and mostly highway driven  (e.g., less than 17K miles).   Oil changes for a GDI engine should be more frequent.   Oil changes for short stop 'n  go urban trips should be more frequent, perhaps every 5K miles.

If not changing your own oil, avoid the quick lube, quick oil change places.  Unless you are already familiar with the torrent of horror stories.  Go to the dealership or a trusted garage and pay more to get them to change the oil, do it right, and not upsell you stuff you do not need, or charge you for services that are never performed.  
 
Pretty much all the synthetics give vastly better performance than conventional stuff. But good-quality conventionals have additives that can make them competitive with the cheaper synthetics. Newer vehicles use thinner oil (first number) to help them pass certain tests - I think there was a discussion about it here somewhere.

Filter-wise, the brand I use is Purolator. Usually their 'Pure One' line. Some years ago there was a long discussion on 'Bob Is The Oil Guy' site about filters. A guy dissected about a dozen filters and reviewed their features. Plus he dissected used filters to examine what they collected.
Purolator came out on top. That was awhile ago, I should check back over there and see if anything has changed.

'Bob Is The Oil Guy' is THE site for way more than you'd ever want to know about oil, filters, coolants, etc. etc. Total nerd-fest.

Happy Motoring!
c.

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 15, 2020 - 8:38pm

I looked R_D.

The 2016 Ford Focus does have a GDI engine.  Welcome to the club, our Kia Soul 2015 has a GDI engine. 

In addition, the Consumer Reports rates the Focus very low for reliability.  You can if you wish offset or compensate this situation through careful maintenance.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Jan 13, 2020 - 7:14pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
 
No for a similar set up.  But advice, yes.  First, does that Ford Focus SE have a GDI or multi-port engine?   GDI = gasoline direct injection.

If it has a GDI engine, I would change it yesterday.  I would plan on switching out the PCV valve in the next 20 to 30K miles.  Using an intake valve cleaner prior to every oil change or every second oil change would also be a good idea.  

What oil change interval does the vehicle user manual recommend for vehicles under warranty?  I would follow that recommendation until you have a better understanding of the engine.

If it is a multi-port engine and behaves well, I would buy expensive premium synthetic oil, e.g., Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, an expensive, long-life oil filter and target changing the oil once a year as long as the miles driven are not too excessive and mostly highway driven  (e.g., less than 17K miles).   Oil changes for a GDI engine should be more frequent.   Oil changes for short stop 'n  go urban trips should be more frequent, perhaps every 5K miles.

If not changing your own oil, avoid the quick lube, quick oil change places.  Unless you are already familiar with the torrent of horror stories.  Go to the dealership or a trusted garage and pay more to get them to change the oil, do it right, and not upsell you stuff you do not need, or charge you for services that are never performed.  




Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Jan 13, 2020 - 4:16pm

So. P's "new" car - a 2016 Ford Focus SE - uses the engine management computer to determine oil-change intervals. She bought the car in April with 43k miles on it, it now has just over 51k. It has yet to present the "change oil" message. I'm guessing it's set for 10k miles, but really have no idea.

Anyone else own a car with a similar setup, or have any advice? Full synthetic oil is required.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 1:04pm



 Proclivities wrote:
..... 
Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
 

Agreed.   We get just a dusting of snow here and if we need to drive higher elevation, snowier places, we have the 4X4 Xterra that remains parked most of the time.

But we do go down to 'the coast', usually Greater Vancouver, a couple of times a year and there the rainfall can be absolutely horrendous.  Looking for a challenge?  Drive the Fraser Canyon at night during a torrential rain storm......

For kurtster:   Been running Michelin LTX 4 season M&S tires for years, first on the WD-21 Pathfinder (1993) and now on the 2nd generation Xterra (2006).   Never had a problem and they work great in heavy, sheeting rains.   Any hydroplaning is momentary.  

kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:51pm

 westslope wrote:
Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.
Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  

 
Do be careful with Michelins.  While they are excellent wearing tires, the rubber is too hard for in control slick wet driving.  Been there done that.  Great dry or in sticky snow, but be extra careful when things get slippery.  They tend to break traction a little too easily when braking.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:46pm



 Proclivities wrote:


Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
 

Indeed. We had a tire failure on our return trip from Chicagoland last month; dropped $750 on a set of them.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:39pm



 westslope wrote:
Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.


Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  
 
Nice - Michelins are good tires, but they can get pretty pricey.  If you live in a place with a lot of wet and/or snowy weather though, it's probably worth it.
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Oct 8, 2019 - 12:22pm

Was about to post to What did you do today? thread and then decided this might be a better choice.


Ordered a full set of Michelin CrossClimate+ all season/4-season/Mud & Snow tires for the Kia Soul.

In that class of tires, these Michelins are top rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack.  






KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 4:53pm



 oldviolin wrote:


 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


 

Fix Or Repair Daily or no? 



 


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2019 - 1:56pm



 KurtfromLaQuinta wrote:


 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


 

Fix Or Repair Daily or no? 
KurtfromLaQuinta

KurtfromLaQuinta Avatar

Location: Really deep in the heart of South California
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 29, 2019 - 1:12pm



 Red_Dragon wrote:
P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
 

Easy fix for a stupid product.


Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 27, 2019 - 6:18am

P bought a 2016 Ford Focus earlier this year to replace the wreck-magnet that was her 2011 Mazda. Something I noticed almost immediately was some rough shifting from the 6-speed, dual-clutch automatic transaxle. I took the car back to Carmax withing the 30-day "we'll fix anything free" period and they ran a full diagnostic on the tranny; everything was in spec. The service-writer explained that this transmission was essentially a manual transmission controlled by a computer and that the intermittent rough shifting was a known issue. Well... perhaps not one of Ford's better ideas.

So, I went home and started goggling things like: "Ford Focus transmission issues". Before long I found that this was, indeed, a known issue. However, it turned out to be an issue with a very simple fix that Ford should probably issue a recall for. Seems the car has exactly one chassis ground connection; the cable from the battery to a bracket welded to the left front inner fender. This bracket is painted, so that the only actual connection is via the threads of the bolt that attaches the cable to it. The fix is to simply remove the bolt, grind the paint of the bracket to expose bare metal to the washer around the bolt, then replace the bolt and cover the entire area with dielectric grease.

This not only completely solves the problem with the transmission, but also the intermittent function of the back-up camera. I cannot understand why Ford hasn't resolved this.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 7:44am

 ptooey wrote:
 miamizsun wrote:
i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories
 
What a strange video.

    Step 1 - Pay $100 for junkyard motor
    Step 2 -Throw the whole thing away and build a completely different motor with new internals

 
i think the damage to the block was too severe to repair

obviously it's also about the story with some sponsor stuff donated for recognition

but in the end (in the next episode) the engine finds a good home and everybody lives happily ever after
ptooey

ptooey Avatar

Location: right behind you. no, over there.
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 7:30am



 miamizsun wrote:
i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories

 
What a strange video.

    Step 1 - Pay $100 for junkyard motor
    Step 2 -Throw the whole thing away and build a completely different motor with new internals

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 23, 2019 - 6:50am

i rarely post in here

but this came through one of my wonky news feeds, and only the internet knows why

or because it knows that i had a slant six (in a duster) back in the day

it seemed indestructible and i put through hell (i took the long scenic route)

brought back some memories

Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144  Next