[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

2020 Elections - kurtster - Oct 1, 2020 - 3:22pm
 
Radio Paradise Comments - haresfur - Oct 1, 2020 - 3:16pm
 
Shipping News - haresfur - Oct 1, 2020 - 3:07pm
 
Trump - black321 - Oct 1, 2020 - 3:02pm
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - islander - Oct 1, 2020 - 1:27pm
 
Military Matters - Red_Dragon - Oct 1, 2020 - 1:13pm
 
China - R_P - Oct 1, 2020 - 12:24pm
 
Twitter's finest moment - miamizsun - Oct 1, 2020 - 12:12pm
 
NASA & other news from space - Red_Dragon - Oct 1, 2020 - 11:59am
 
Name My Band - Antigone - Oct 1, 2020 - 10:47am
 
Memorials - Remembering Our Loved Ones - miamizsun - Oct 1, 2020 - 9:13am
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - Red_Dragon - Oct 1, 2020 - 8:18am
 
Bluesound Sound Dropouts - BillG - Oct 1, 2020 - 7:33am
 
Problems with RP on BluOS in the UK - BillG - Oct 1, 2020 - 7:33am
 
Amazon Echo/Alexa stream not working - BillG - Oct 1, 2020 - 7:11am
 
COVID-19 - miamizsun - Oct 1, 2020 - 6:16am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - jarro - Oct 1, 2020 - 5:52am
 
FLAC Streaming - jarro - Oct 1, 2020 - 5:46am
 
Trump Lies - haresfur - Sep 30, 2020 - 9:46pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Sep 30, 2020 - 4:35pm
 
New Music - Lazy8 - Sep 30, 2020 - 1:47pm
 
Fox Spews - Red_Dragon - Sep 30, 2020 - 11:00am
 
Nigeria - cc_rider - Sep 30, 2020 - 9:45am
 
The Obituary Page - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 30, 2020 - 8:53am
 
American Justice - Red_Dragon - Sep 30, 2020 - 7:26am
 
What Did You Do Today? - miamizsun - Sep 30, 2020 - 6:46am
 
p4jkafla's personal thread because she is mean or kicks p... - haresfur - Sep 30, 2020 - 3:13am
 
Baseball, anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 29, 2020 - 8:41pm
 
Amazing animals! - kcar - Sep 29, 2020 - 8:00pm
 
Music Videos - Steely_D - Sep 29, 2020 - 7:58pm
 
What The Hell Buddy? - Red_Dragon - Sep 29, 2020 - 6:37pm
 
Media Bias - Ohmsen - Sep 29, 2020 - 5:12pm
 
Breaking News - Steely_D - Sep 29, 2020 - 4:54pm
 
Business as Usual - R_P - Sep 29, 2020 - 1:25pm
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 29, 2020 - 1:16pm
 
Coffee - Steely_D - Sep 29, 2020 - 1:09pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - miamizsun - Sep 29, 2020 - 12:20pm
 
Modern - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 29, 2020 - 11:02am
 
It's the economy stupid. - rgio - Sep 29, 2020 - 9:18am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Sep 29, 2020 - 8:56am
 
RP App for Android - bevgerry - Sep 29, 2020 - 8:29am
 
Race in America - cc_rider - Sep 29, 2020 - 8:16am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Sep 29, 2020 - 7:46am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Sep 29, 2020 - 5:17am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - Alchemist - Sep 28, 2020 - 11:58pm
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - ScottFromWyoming - Sep 28, 2020 - 6:38pm
 
Dial 1 for English - kcar - Sep 28, 2020 - 4:58pm
 
Supreme Court: Who's Next? - Steely_D - Sep 28, 2020 - 3:55pm
 
Things You Thought Today - ScottN - Sep 28, 2020 - 1:47pm
 
FLAC via TuneIn - Steely_D - Sep 28, 2020 - 11:35am
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - Sep 28, 2020 - 3:06am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Sep 27, 2020 - 8:02pm
 
The American Dream - Red_Dragon - Sep 27, 2020 - 4:02pm
 
Live Music - R_P - Sep 27, 2020 - 2:50pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - haresfur - Sep 27, 2020 - 2:33pm
 
Classical Music - R_P - Sep 27, 2020 - 12:14pm
 
KUDOS for BillG - miamizsun - Sep 27, 2020 - 9:04am
 
What are you reading now? - rhahl - Sep 27, 2020 - 7:48am
 
RightWingNutZ - Red_Dragon - Sep 26, 2020 - 4:27pm
 
Khruangbin - Red_Dragon - Sep 26, 2020 - 3:36pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Sep 26, 2020 - 2:19pm
 
How's the weather? - westslope - Sep 26, 2020 - 7:20am
 
Integration of RP app with Apple Music playlists - BillG - Sep 25, 2020 - 12:14pm
 
Canada - westslope - Sep 25, 2020 - 12:03pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Sep 25, 2020 - 10:58am
 
This is Odd, Gross and a good excuse to be late for work - miamizsun - Sep 25, 2020 - 10:08am
 
Drop the Puck! NHL Lockout Ends! - sunybuny - Sep 25, 2020 - 5:35am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 24, 2020 - 4:32pm
 
Animal Resistance - R_P - Sep 24, 2020 - 4:13pm
 
Language - Ohmsen - Sep 24, 2020 - 10:12am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - miamizsun - Sep 24, 2020 - 5:59am
 
Film & Video Production - rgio - Sep 24, 2020 - 5:11am
 
Quotes: Your Favorite Comedians - Ohmsen - Sep 24, 2020 - 1:07am
 
Questions. - whatshisname - Sep 23, 2020 - 7:10pm
 
Your favourite conspiracy theory? - R_P - Sep 23, 2020 - 4:56pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Freedom of speech? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post to this Topic
ziggytrix

ziggytrix Avatar

Location: Dallas, TX
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 23, 2018 - 2:19pm

 Lazy8 wrote:
I was really disappointed in Mr. Munroe when I saw this.

It is willfully obtuse. It doesn't accurately describe the problem. The controversy is not about unpopular messages being ignored, disagreed with, or criticized—it's about active efforts to prevent people from ever hearing them.

 
I thought it was spot-on.

Could you elaborate on how active efforts to deny a platform to abhorrent messages is a problem? I'll start you with a hypothetical example.

Let's say I'm a really passionate believer that people who post on the internet using handles of the format Adjective + Numeral should be chemically and/or physically castrated (for whatever absurd reason). BillG sees me posting horrible (in his opinion) things directed not specifically at you, but very obviously generally about "those adjective-numeral people", and deletes it from his website. How is this a problem?
Lazy8

Lazy8 Avatar

Location: The Gallatin Valley of Montana
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 9:37am

 n4ku wrote:
...

I was really disappointed in Mr. Munroe when I saw this.

It is willfully obtuse. It doesn't accurately describe the problem. The controversy is not about unpopular messages being ignored, disagreed with, or criticized—it's about active efforts to prevent people from ever hearing them.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 8:15am

 n4ku wrote:
...

 
+1
n4ku

n4ku Avatar



Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 8:13am

...
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 8:03am

 kurtster wrote:

It's ok with me, too ... as long as she allows her students the same freedom to express their views and not penalize them with disrespect in the classroom or with unfair grades should they disagree with her.

 
If they disagree with her outside the classroom, correct. In the classroom, it's her job to direct the conversation, it's not supposed to be all-voices-are-valid.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 5:22am

 kurtster wrote:

It's ok with me, too ... as long as she allows her students the same freedom to express their views and not penalize them with disrespect in the classroom or with unfair grades should they disagree with her.

 




That is actually a different scenario, that would be unfairly using her position of power and influence over her students and being unprofessional in the workplace. That type of behavior would be infringing on her students right of free speech not to mention subjective indoctrination of young impressionable minds. I went from being raised to be a conservative though naturally and inherently completely denying bigotry and racism from the littlest shorty to being a full fledged indoctrinated liberal Democrat after college. Then as I gained true life experience in real world sitchyashuns, I realized to freely allow yourself to be a label is quite foolish. Life is so much more complex than that and so are we.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 5:21am

 kurtster wrote:
It's ok with me, too ... as long as she allows her students the same freedom to express their views and not penalize them with disrespect in the classroom or with unfair grades should they disagree with her.
 
i agree

as foolish as she sounds, firing her probably wouldn't change her position

if someone peacefully confronted her with a little bit of reason and logic, she might even understand the error of her ways

or at least we can hope so...
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 5:08am

 sirdroseph wrote:
 miamizsun wrote:
people make mistakes...

Fresno State Shouldn't Fire a Professor for Saying She's Glad Barbara Bush Died


Fresno President Joseph Castro said in a statement that Jarrar's comments were "made as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State," and "are obviously contrary to the core values of our University, which include respect and empathy for individuals with divergent points of view, and a sincere commitment to mutual understanding and progress."

But this statement has not satisfied the many conservatives on Twitter who want Fresno to fire her. Disappointingly, The Daily Wire­—the conservative website run by Ben Shapiro—also seems to want something more from Fresno. The Daily Wire's Ryan Saavedra writes:

The key line in Fresno State's statement is: "Her statements were made as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State." That line most likely signals that the university is not going to take a hard stand over the hateful remarks from this professor who mocked the death of an American icon and rejoiced in the suffering of her family.



 

I agree she was using Bush's death in a self indulgent look at me and how cool I am with my totally inapprops statement or in other words as the kids say, she was thirsty. lol Tacky, but it is an infringement of her 1st amendment right as a private citizen for her to lose her job over this. Cause that's just her opinion, man.

 
It's ok with me, too ... as long as she allows her students the same freedom to express their views and not penalize them with disrespect in the classroom or with unfair grades should they disagree with her.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 4:37am

 sdwright wrote:
Speechify!
Image result for first amendment


 





That freedom of assembly should not come at the cost of public safety though. Our peaceful little town is being invaded by the same Neo Nazi bunch that totally ruined Charlottesville emotionally and financially. I heard they were banned from the state of Virginia and our Mayor, local council and police are going to just allow them to saunter in here and fvck everything up?? We have filed an injunction, but it don't look good, they are flying under the banner of free speech, but this is inciting violence straight up.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 19, 2018 - 4:33am

 miamizsun wrote:
people make mistakes...

Fresno State Shouldn't Fire a Professor for Saying She's Glad Barbara Bush Died


Fresno President Joseph Castro said in a statement that Jarrar's comments were "made as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State," and "are obviously contrary to the core values of our University, which include respect and empathy for individuals with divergent points of view, and a sincere commitment to mutual understanding and progress."

But this statement has not satisfied the many conservatives on Twitter who want Fresno to fire her. Disappointingly, The Daily Wire­—the conservative website run by Ben Shapiro—also seems to want something more from Fresno. The Daily Wire's Ryan Saavedra writes:

The key line in Fresno State's statement is: "Her statements were made as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State." That line most likely signals that the university is not going to take a hard stand over the hateful remarks from this professor who mocked the death of an American icon and rejoiced in the suffering of her family.



 





I agree she was using Bush's death in a self indulgent look at me and how cool I am with my totally inapprops statement or in other words as the kids say, she was thirsty. lol Tacky, but it is an infringement of her 1st amendment right as a private citizen for her to lose her job over this. Cause that's just her opinion, man.


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 18, 2018 - 3:15pm

people make mistakes...

Fresno State Shouldn't Fire a Professor for Saying She's Glad Barbara Bush Died


Fresno President Joseph Castro said in a statement that Jarrar's comments were "made as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State," and "are obviously contrary to the core values of our University, which include respect and empathy for individuals with divergent points of view, and a sincere commitment to mutual understanding and progress."

But this statement has not satisfied the many conservatives on Twitter who want Fresno to fire her. Disappointingly, The Daily Wire­—the conservative website run by Ben Shapiro—also seems to want something more from Fresno. The Daily Wire's Ryan Saavedra writes:

The key line in Fresno State's statement is: "Her statements were made as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State." That line most likely signals that the university is not going to take a hard stand over the hateful remarks from this professor who mocked the death of an American icon and rejoiced in the suffering of her family.


miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 19, 2018 - 7:49am

 Coaxial wrote:

I enjoyed that Hate Trap video you posted...It was a good discussion on the topic, thanks.

 
thx!


 Lazy8 wrote:
 When I look at coaxial, miamizsun is not the first thing to pop into my mind.

If they had ever met they might have both disappeared in a blinding flash and a very loud noise.
  

Coaxial

Coaxial Avatar

Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles eas
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 19, 2018 - 5:06am

 miamizsun wrote:




 
I enjoyed that Hate Trap video you posted...It was a good discussion on the topic, thanks.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 19, 2018 - 4:58am

 Steely_D wrote:

He was a cruel man. Cruel but fair.

 


Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 18, 2018 - 11:12am

 oldviolin wrote:

Brutal

 
He was a cruel man. Cruel but fair.
Coaxial

Coaxial Avatar

Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles eas
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 18, 2018 - 9:45am

 oldviolin wrote:

Brutal

 
The truth is not always kind.
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 18, 2018 - 9:44am

 Steely_D wrote:

I think we can all agree on that.

 
Brutal
Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 18, 2018 - 9:42am

 Coaxial wrote:

I sure wish I had one.

 
I think we can all agree on that.
Coaxial

Coaxial Avatar

Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles eas
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 18, 2018 - 9:36am

 oldviolin wrote:
 Coaxial wrote:

I just find mostly dog and cat hair in mine.

 


I forgot to mention something about a good sense of humor.
You know, laughter and medicine and all. There's no telling how many universes
have been sucked up in a vaccuum of laughter and cat hair...;)
 
I sure wish I had one.
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 18, 2018 - 9:30am

 Coaxial wrote:

I just find mostly dog and cat hair in mine.

 




I forgot to mention something about a good sense of humor.
You know, laughter and medicine and all. There's no telling how many universes
have been sucked up in a vaccuum of laughter and cat hair...;)

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next