[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
The Pogues — Tuesday Morning
Album: Waiting For Herb
Avg rating:
7.4

Your rating:
Total ratings: 850









Released: 1993
Length: 3:23
Plays (last 30 days): 1
Too many sad days
Too many Tuesday mornings
I thought of you today
I wished it was yesterday morning
I thought of you today
And I dreamt you were dressed in mourning

But I knew that you
With your heart beating
And your eyes shining
Would be dreaming of me
Lying with you
On a Tuesday morning

I fell through the window
And I found that I was still breathing
I thought of tomorrow
And the fear that you might leave me
I thought of tomorrow
And I wished it was Monday evening

But I knew that you
With your heart beating
And your eyes shining
Would be dreaming of me
Lying with you
On a Tuesday morning

Turn your face from me
I will cover myself with sorrow
Bring Hell down upon me
I will surrender my heart to sorrow
Bring Hell down upon me
And I will say goodbye tomorrow

But I know that you
With your heart beating
And your eyes shining
Would be dreaming of me
Lying with you
On a Tuesday morning
Comments (87)add comment
 rdo wrote:

There is nothing simple about it.  And it sounds nothing like Simple Minds (the band).
If I had to vote for the most bogus, worthless criticism of all time, it would easily fall to the "simple melody" or "accessible music" bullshit argument that is peddled here and everywhere, ad nasuem.  I HATE that argument.  If it is so simple,  then go make one.  No, try making four or five. If you do, you'll be a billionare and world famous within one month, I promise.   Thousands of artists try  to make a song like this their whole careers and never make just one.  Doesn't that tell you anything?  Sorry to pick on you, Stingy, but this argument is so bad, so stupid, so f-ing common and vulgar and repeated by the masses, that I have to rant.  Whew, got that off my chest.
 
Yikes. While I agree, go easy on the amphetamines. Or change careers from songwriting to something easier, like hard-rock mining perhaps?
Astounding album (with the exception of one track); got it on tape somewhere. Haven't heard this track since the old Queen was alive 
Sweeeeeet. 
Did Herb turn up or are they still waiting for him ?
Fabulous.
Does this song refer to Dreaming of Me by Depeche Mode? The melody sounds similar and the lyrics.. well that can hardly be a coincidence.
 Emwolb wrote:
The Pogues without Shane just ain't the Pogues
 
True!!{#High-five}
google around and find a live interview with Shane... any interview will do.  It is shocking to me that a mind that can barely compose a sentence could be so musically gifted.  Strange dude.
I LOVE this song!
worth the break in work to 'sign in'
wonderful song  
Thank you Ben for sending me this song…all the way from Oz to NC circa 1996. So many great memories of undergrad when I hear it now! {#Heartkiss}
 rdo wrote:

There is nothing simple about it.  And it sounds nothing like Simple Minds (the band).
If I had to vote for the most bogus, worthless criticism of all time, it would easily fall to the "simple melody" or "accessible music" bullshit argument that is peddled here and everywhere, ad nasuem.  I HATE that argument.  If it is so simple,  then go make one.  No, try making four or five. If you do, you'll be a billionare and world famous within one month, I promise.   Thousands of artists try  to make a song like this their whole careers and never make just one.  Doesn't that tell you anything?  Sorry to pick on you, Stingy, but this argument is so bad, so stupid, so f-ing common and vulgar and repeated by the masses, that I have to rant.  Whew, got that off my chest.

 
Bravo RDO, Bravo


Wow so much bile spewing for such a sweet song. So what if Shane isn't on this recording? He was drugged and drunk to the point of incoherence at the time (and many other times as well). No one wanted to be near him let alone listen to his incomprehensible and off tune wailing. I have all the Pogues albums and love them all, this one still is one of my favorite three. And I have to agree with rdo from D.C. if it is so easy to write a super catchy song like this, why aren't you out there doing it? 1. Because it is not easy 2. Because like all critics, you are probably a talentless schmuck who can't do anything but try to denigrate others.
The Pogues without Shane just ain't the Pogues
I gave it an 8 at some point in the very distant past. It's a 6, now.
 
I thought it was Rock & Roll Girls by John Fogerty, which is a pretty lame song but better than this.

 edit Oct 2016 I'll bump it to 7 because I'm not hearing Fogerty now... :stupid:
Ah, Spider Stacy of Treme fame...
{#Daisy}
 rdo wrote:

There is nothing simple about it.  And it sounds nothing like Simple Minds (the band).
If I had to vote for the most bogus, worthless criticism of all time, it would easily fall to the "simple melody" or "accessible music" bullshit argument that is peddled here and everywhere, ad nasuem.  I HATE that argument.  If it is so simple,  then go make one.  No, try making four or five. If you do, you'll be a billionare and world famous within one month, I promise.   Thousands of artists try  to make a song like this their whole careers and never make just one.  Doesn't that tell you anything?  Sorry to pick on you, Stingy, but this argument is so bad, so stupid, so f-ing common and vulgar and repeated by the masses, that I have to rant.  Whew, got that off my chest.
 
{#Yes}
 rdo wrote:

There is nothing simple about it.  And it sounds nothing like Simple Minds (the band).
If I had to vote for the most bogus, worthless criticism of all time, it would easily fall to the "simple melody" or "accessible music" bullshit argument that is peddled here and everywhere, ad nasuem.  I HATE that argument.  If it is so simple,  then go make one.  No, try making four or five. If you do, you'll be a billionare and world famous within one month, I promise.   Thousands of artists try  to make a song like this their whole careers and never make just one.  Doesn't that tell you anything?  Sorry to pick on you, Stingy, but this argument is so bad, so stupid, so f-ing common and vulgar and repeated by the masses, that I have to rant.  Whew, got that off my chest.
 
I couldn't agree with you more.
 Stingray wrote:
Simple Minds music....
 
There is nothing simple about it.  And it sounds nothing like Simple Minds (the band).
If I had to vote for the most bogus, worthless criticism of all time, it would easily fall to the "simple melody" or "accessible music" bullshit argument that is peddled here and everywhere, ad nasuem.  I HATE that argument.  If it is so simple,  then go make one.  No, try making four or five. If you do, you'll be a billionare and world famous within one month, I promise.   Thousands of artists try  to make a song like this their whole careers and never make just one.  Doesn't that tell you anything?  Sorry to pick on you, Stingy, but this argument is so bad, so stupid, so f-ing common and vulgar and repeated by the masses, that I have to rant.  Whew, got that off my chest.
Shane McGowan is not singing in this album, the whole album is a little too commercial related to previous ones, but a couple of songs are sooooo good, and this is one of those... Too many sundays... Too many tuesday mornings... Doesn't get out of my mind.

I love it when Bill G plays this on a Tuesday morning. {#Good-vibes}


wish they'd rock like this more often.  they're usually too traditionally Irish for me.  great tune!
Simple Minds music....
The Pogues make me happy!
 CamLwalk wrote:
I've never heard a bad or boring song by the Pogues.  Póg mo thóin!
 
Set yer barre hoigher me son and no, I won't pog yo thoin!

PS Pogues are up there, but this one is 2.5* ( 'tho  I rarely participate in rating ) 


The Pogues 6 by *Cyril-Helnwein
Cyril Helnwein   ©2008-2010 *Cyril-Helnwein

The Pogues, Oxegen Festival 2008, Ireland.

They have long been one of my favourite bands, it was an honor to see them play because you never know when the legend that is Shane McGowan will be no longer. This shot was taken from stage right (VIP passes come in handy!)



 CamLwalk wrote:
I've never heard a bad or boring song by the Pogues.  Póg mo thóin!
 
funny, I've never heard a good one.
Pogue me when its over :)   Really just kidding Love the Pogues

Thank you, Bill!
I've never heard a bad or boring song by the Pogues.  Póg mo thóin!
Monday morning,,,,I can now smile after hearing this.

LOVE LOVE LOVE The Pogues!!!!


Drunken Irishmen.....oh wait...that's me!
Even though it's Monday morning—or maybe especially cause it's Monday morning here — thanks for this play, as the song is one of my all time favourites . A great boost for the day!
 Panama_Floyd wrote:
ROFL! When my kid first heard the Poques, she asked me where I found that "..great Clash Unplugged CD.."
 
This is one of my favorite comments here at RP : )

Grin! {#Guitarist}
I like twang.

RobotDeath wrote:
Needs more Shane.


It's true. But I'm still happy whenever Bill plays anything from the Pogues.

horstman wrote:
My son robbed me of the Pogue CDs when he was 10 or 11. He loved them and then moved on to the Clash (and robbed me of all my Clash music). Then Led Zepplin. And the Black Sabbath. And now Porcupine Tree. What a great kid to have.
ROFL! When my kid first heard the Poques, she asked me where I found that "..great Clash Unplugged CD.."
Even Shaneless- the Pogues are brilliant.
horstman wrote:
My son robbed me of the Pogue CDs when he was 10 or 11. He loved them and then moved on to the Clash (and robbed me of all my Clash music). Then Led Zepplin. And the Black Sabbath. And now Porcupine Tree. What a great kid to have.
I actually laughed out loud at that :) awesome
My son robbed me of the Pogue CDs when he was 10 or 11. He loved them and then moved on to the Clash (and robbed me of all my Clash music). Then Led Zepplin. And the Black Sabbath. And now Porcupine Tree. What a great kid to have.
RobotDeath wrote:
Needs more Shane.
I'm pretty sure this song came out when Shane wasn't with the band--nursing an "illness" (wink wink). Spider Stacey on lead vox.
Needs more Shane.
out_to_lunch wrote:
YEAH!! The Pogues!!!! I saw the most interesting and disturbing documentary on IFC about Shane McGowan. He litterally drank himself insane(er)... Great band, nonetheless
During a concert I stood in the middle od the audience he 'consumed' (better: poured into himself) 2(!) bottles of whiskey...and he still was able to sing. And this experience happened to be about 20 years ago...
YEAH!! The Pogues!!!! I saw the most interesting and disturbing documentary on IFC about Shane McGowan. He litterally drank himself insane(er)... Great band, nonetheless
jgeyer wrote:
Isn't it wussie to say words like "Yicky?"
Okey-dokey, I guess it sure is.
Haven't listened to this in ages! Had trouble with it when I first got it, years ago, but it has come to be a tried and true part of the collection. Love music into which you can dig your nails...
GlassMan! wrote:
They do the *best* version of Waltzing Matilda. A great anti war song.
Boy, do they EVER, but don't play it around any older hardcore Ozzies! I was in a bungalow in Juara Beach, Tioman Island, Malaysia for a month in the summer of 90, and one day, out on the porch with the Walkman through a pretty good speaker set-up and I had the Pogues doing their historically accurate version, and the Ozzie couple next door perked up their ears, pulled out a flask, and actually were coming over, when old Shane, well, he went and slapped 'em right across the face, and they gave me their backs, and their fingers -- and were gone the next day! Dang, musta hit a nerve!
the only decent song on a disatrous CD The Pogues never got over the loss of Shane McDowan
My all time fav by the Pogues - always makes me get up and dance. They used this in a movie 'Blown Away' as I recall.
I swear the first few bass riffs sounded like Kim Deal's playing. Good tune,I'm not to up on these guys. What I've heard I like.
Damn - just missed this song. Pogues Pogues and more Pogues is alright wit me
They do the *best* version of Waltzing Matilda. A great anti war song.
Golly, I love this song!
jgeyer wrote:
Isn't it wussie to say words like "Yicky?"
Or wokkie to say yuzzie?
One of the greatst bands ever! ...it sucks to be without the GREAT! Shane McGowan ...but considering he could no longer stand up behind the mike I'd say this tune carries itself superbly with Spider Stacy on vocals!! :cheers:
I think it's pretty good. Very poppy..
revsully wrote:
This is the wussiest Pogues song I've ever heard. Yicky.
Isn't it wussie to say words like "Yicky?"
Call me a wussy, but I think it's cool! revsully wrote:
This is the wussiest Pogues song I've ever heard. Yicky.
revsully wrote:
This is the wussiest Pogues song I've ever heard. Yicky.
While I'll grant that it's not indicative of their angrier side, I really dig this tune. By this time Shane MacGowan and the band had gone their separate ways and it was time for a new direction. I think it holds up.
This is the wussiest Pogues song I've ever heard. Yicky.
trempel wrote:
this has been the most amazing stretch if music I've ever heard on RP.
I'll second that! New songs (for me) and totally buzzing.. way to go Bill!
Pogues.....sweet...would love to hear Love You 'Til The End on RP!
2 pogues shows sold out in minutes for the 9:30 club here in dc. ...bummer.
Thanks for making me happy on a rainy Friday afternoon, Bill! :crown:
weena wrote:
Oh my god, I was trying to remember this song and it was on the tip of my tongue during the Prefab Sprout song half an hour ago. I was thinking, was it the Pogues? No, didn't sound like Shane...but then when this started playing I remembered. So here you go. Y'all are mindreaders.
I see that more and more. Folks comment like that... I suspect Bill is so good, he can 'hear' a tune inside another or two and sense what would be cool to play next, in sequence. He 'Da MAN!
this has been the most amazing stretch if music I've ever heard on RP.
Oh my god, I was trying to remember this song and it was on the tip of my tongue during the Prefab Sprout song half an hour ago. I was thinking, was it the Pogues? No, didn't sound like Shane...but then when this started playing I remembered. So here you go. Y'all are mindreaders.
davie70 wrote:
Sounds an awful lot like the Moody Blues.... ok, a lot like
Agree on both counts. Oh wait, there's only one. :-k Likeable tune.
Must say that I kind of prefer the raw Shawn Magowan "Friday night down at the local" element that's missing here.
My favorite Pogues song. Good song for a rainy monday morning :wink:
Whoah, one of my favorite Pogues tunes, this is a surprise. Always brings a smile to my face.
Sounds an awful lot like the Moody Blues.... ok, a lot like
Wish life was as happy and go lucky as this song! :sunny.gif:
JohnErle wrote:
Just thought I'd point out that Joe Strummer had nothing to do with this song. He produced the previous album, Hell's Ditch, and filled in briefly on vocals when Shane MacGowan got kicked out of the band in the middle of a tour, but that's it. This song comes from the album Waiting For Herb, and that's Spider Stacy on vocals. Great song nonetheless. It's nice to hear such a passionate, energetic, infectious tune on RP once in a while.
I stand corrected - got my discography all jumbled. Thanks! Hell, at least I know this: Hollywood Soundtracks - 1995.......could probably be more correct. :lol:
ptooey wrote:
:clap: Strummer 'n' The Pogues. Nice.
Just thought I'd point out that Joe Strummer had nothing to do with this song. He produced the previous album, Hell's Ditch, and filled in briefly on vocals when Shane MacGowan got kicked out of the band in the middle of a tour, but that's it. This song comes from the album Waiting For Herb, and that's Spider Stacy on vocals. Great song nonetheless. It's nice to hear such a passionate, energetic, infectious tune on RP once in a while.
Boosiewolf wrote:
Whoever's responsible for this upload...YOU ROCK!!!! :bounce:
DITTO!
Simply great! :cheers:
Patrick wrote:
Without doubt. :music:
I agree :music:
miamizsun wrote:
:music:
Without doubt. :music:
Happy to hear Pogues here. Maybe follow up with Kirsty McColl, what do you say Bill?
ptooey wrote:
:clap: Strummer 'n' The Pogues. Nice.
Whoever's responsible for this upload...YOU ROCK!!!! :bounce:
Damn right! :nodhead:
:clap: Strummer 'n' The Pogues. Nice.
:music: