[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Loop Guru — Karma Marga
Album: Loop Bites Dog
Avg rating:
5.1

Your rating:
Total ratings: 366









Released: 1997
Length: 4:59
Plays (last 30 days): 1
(no lyrics available)
Comments (44)add comment
 justin4kick wrote:

Actually I'm not surprised at all. Not because I don't like the song but nearly all World-music (which is in fact a stupid name) gets low average ratings here.
 
Isn't it though?  And it got me to wondering, where did the name come from....and Wiki has an answer:  

The term has been credited to ethnomusicologist Robert E. Brown, who coined it in the early 1960s at Wesleyan University in Connecticut, where he developed undergraduate through doctoral programs in the discipline. To enhance the learning process (John Hill), he invited more than a dozen visiting performers from Africa and Asia and began a world music concert series.[8][9] The term became current in the 1980s as a marketing/classificatory device in the media and the music industry.[10] There are several conflicting definitions for world music. One is that it consists of "all the music in the world", though such a broad definition renders the term virtually meaningless.

So....it in fact became popular as a marketing ploy to get us Westerners to accept foreign sounding music....huh...yeah...I'm not a fan of the term...though I REALLY enjoy the music, though I'm sticking w/ my 6 rating on this one (still above the 5.1 average) Long Live RP and ALL music, even extraterrestrial-music!! 
 bhallmark wrote:
Surprised at all the low ratings. I dig it. 
 
Actually I'm not surprised at all. Not because I don't like the song but nearly all World-music (which is in fact a stupid name) gets low average ratings here.
 ScottishWillie wrote:

You and me both!
 
us three!
While not my favourite track from these folk they still get my vote for one of the cleverest names going. Where wolf? There wolf... and it's trippy like crazy.
 bhallmark wrote:
Surprised at all the low ratings. I dig it. 
 
You and me both!
Surprised at all the low ratings. I dig it. 
{#Daisy}
kazuma wrote:
That's worth extra points in the rating from me.
Yeah, my favorite "Jonny Quest" episode where that's all the guy can say - Loup Garou!
AliGator wrote:
To me it sounds like "loup garou". Werewolf in French.
That's worth extra points in the rating from me.
:sick: The Beatles had a Loopy Guru. "Hey Mia, let me run my hands thru your Karma!" Ohmmmmm....
No, not really. And upon listening further, maybe even less than that.
StevenQ wrote:
Stop torturing that CAT!!!
Haha - well you're right. There are much better tracks by loop guru.
I like the kettle drums - reminds me of gr. 9 music class (hit drum hard, stomp on pedal, get kicked out, go for a smoke)
This music is making me hungry!
Well, let me just double the avarage here. Though it is a bit repetitive, I still like it very much. edit: reminds me of Hevia
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Gee, all those low votes... I think this thing is light, fun and quite enjoyable. The drums are excellent - all of them! :roflol:
Loup Garou nu mange pas mes l'enfants (my attempt to spell French)
Not a song to suffer thru a hangover with! :headshake: #-o
Good job playing it with Kula Shaker - Radhe Radhe they make a great pairing The drum track is what does it for me!! :drummer:
Wouldn't buy it, but fun to hear here. Never mind - second listen ruined it for me.
Very powerful song--Love it!
StevenQ wrote:
Stop torturing that CAT!!!
Cat molesters sicken me, but goat molesters, sooooo hot!!
During the first part of this song I tried to throw my computer out the window. Fortunately I had safety glass installed. Damage to the computer was minimal. Then the second part of the song came along and I apologized to my computer.
Stop torturing that CAT!!!
Very nice.
Pez wrote:
Wait! I know where I've heard this.... Anybody ever see the movie "Serendipity"??
Definitely has that "soundtrack" feel. Doesn't necessarily make it "cinematic," however.
Love love love this!
I can think of something else they should call the album...
I kinda liked it--OK not much on lyric(LOL), but interesting rhythms.
DONE with this one. There is no hope for it at all.
His_DivineShadow wrote:
Hated it, then really hated it
what he said...
justlistening wrote:
The name Loop Guru fits, sounds like one long loop, which is great if you're trying to meditate...... :rolleyes:
To me it sounds like "loup garou". Werewolf in French.
:bounce: :jump: :bounce: I looooove it!
Hate it. Very obnoxious.
Wait! I know where I've heard this.... Anybody ever see the movie "Serendipity"??
mucre wrote:
hated it then started digging it
Hated it, then really hated it
The name Loop Guru fits, sounds like one long loop, which is great if you're trying to meditate...... :roll:
About as enjoyable as having a mosquito buzzing around my ear. :?
A must have is "Single Orphan First Year Camel" from Loop Guru... Let me get that for you... ;)
This song improved when i closed my eyes.... :hearteyes: whirly twirlies on the back of my lids. COOL!
Diversity is what it's all about. :clap: :bounce: :clap:
Originally Posted by mucre: hated it then started digging it
Hmmm. Is this kind of thing ALLOWED on RP? I don't know but if we get one more call from Mr&Ms. Nose-in-my-business then I think we're gonna need to pull our advertising. Wait... What's that you say? THERE'S NO ADVERTISING? Oh... dear... that means we might hear just about ANYTHING?!!? ;) We can't have THAT! We might hear something New or Interesting or DIFFERENT. :p Yes, that was humor. philarktos is right! Some more bhangra would be str8 (pimp) Any interest in a S.Asian/Reggae/funk fusion band? Maybe I could try one of these upload thingies. :cool: -ptah
Personally, I love Indian/fusions of various kinds. Wish I knew if anyone has tried to upload any bhangra, say by Johnny Kalsi\'s(one of the AfroCelt\'s drummers)\"Dhol Collective\", before going out to buy it for upload.
hated it then started digging it