[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Gary Jules — Mad World
Album: Trading Snakeoil for Wolftickets
Avg rating:
7.9

Your rating:
Total ratings: 4929









Released: 2001
Length: 2:58
Plays (last 30 days): 1
All around me are familiar faces
Worn-out places, worn-out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere

Their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head, I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very, very
Mad world
Mad world

Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy birthday, happy birthday
And I feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen

Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello, teacher, tell me, what's my lesson?
Look right through me, look right through me

And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
I find it hard to take
When people run in circles it's a very, very
Mad world
Mad world
Enlarging your world
Mad world
Comments (987)add comment
 OlderGentleman wrote:
Original an 8. This version a solid 10 in my mad world.
 

Just bumped from  10. Not that I can relate, but I think of all of the transient kids my wife gets in her school bouncing from cities like Chicago and back...
Original an 8. This version a solid 10 in my mad world.
 S_L420 wrote:
i dig this, absolut 10 in my boot
 
I dig this too...though I prefer my Absolut in a glass...and I wear a size 12 boot...LLRP!!
i dig this, absolut 10 in my boot
There's also an instrumental cover in the opening of Sr. Ávila.
This song always touches something in my heart no matter who sings it.
Play the original Tears for Fears...
Happy Valentine's Day, everybody!
Long Live                                  Radio Paradise  
My rating is only     8  WEAK
Best version of this song
 BobbyCat wrote:
I still don't understand why Bill always plays this one, when the original is sooooo much better yet never gets played. So sad   {#Cry}
 
BillG balances his choice to play the Gary Jules version by following it by Tears For Fears "Everybody wants to rule the world".

Karma is restored!



Such a wonderful song..
 BobbyCat wrote:
I still don't understand why Bill always plays this one, when the original is sooooo much better yet never gets played. So sad   {#Cry}
 
I actually like this version more than the original. Go figure.
I still don't understand why Bill always plays this one, when the original is sooooo much better yet never gets played. So sad   {#Cry}
Loved the original, but this when used in the right context is genius.

please don't over play it.
8
Just excellent.  Better than the original? Why worry about that, just take it for what it is; a super song, well sung.
I loved the original.  I love this one as well.  Oddly enough, this version seems to capture the emotion a bit better than Tears for Fears did with the original.
 Proclivities wrote:

Not better or worse to me - just different.  Puddles Pity Party also does an interesting version.

 

Wow, that was great. Thanks for posting!
 Proclivities wrote:

Not better or worse to me - just different.  Puddles Pity Party also does an interesting version.

 
Thanks for posting that. Very funny/creepy. 
 Phlegmaticman wrote:
A case where the cover is better than the original?

 
Not better or worse to me - just different.  Puddles Pity Party also does an interesting version.
 Phlegmaticman wrote:
NO. This is not that case.
A case where the cover is better than the original?

 


 rdo wrote:
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}

 
If you want to get truly technical about it, the process of dying (of old age) begins the moment you are born. Therefore every dream you have is one in which you are dying.
When Jet Engines come crashing into your room while your getting ready to go to SCHOOL.
A Bill Triple Play about SCHOOL
That rabbit in the mirror!!!  Always the rabbit!
Yes It Is - When Jet Engines come crashing into your room.
9 years with RP and never used the PSD button. First time for everything as I have never liked this whiny cover. I'd listen to the original any day.
A case where the cover is better than the original?
Too sad a song for me, reminds me my son Alex when he died being only 16...
Somehow when this plays I hear a very heavy thrash version in my head that makes me want to jump around and dance.  I absolutely love it.  

I'll never know if I would love it as much if I didn't come to it from Donnie Darko, but I think I would.   

Amazing track. 
 Webfoot wrote:
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds.

 

Donnie: Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?


Wow, the tunes are fantastic this morning.  I'm not going to get any work done!

 
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds.
The Tears For Fears version is awesome as well - haven't heard it in years though
A fantastic cover. {#Notworthy}
Touching....outstanding song.
 
 Proclivities wrote:

I have no idea why anyone would watch American Idol, but I guess that's just me.

 
Then you'll be happy to hear it's finally going to end in a few months.  FOR GOOD!

The bad news is they'll probably create another singing competition show to take its place... 
 springof63 wrote:
Happy Christmas,
War is... (oh shit)
.
This was the UK Christmas Number 1 single 2003
it works on many levels but it will always make me think of Christmas.
Perhaps you could follow this with
Ian Gillan - M. A. D. (Mutually Assured Destruction)
I'm doing that myself now, be back in a minute.
cheers

 
I was working in the UK at the time. Never understood why this was the UK Christmas Number 1 single. But it was probably the best thing on the radio at the time. Everything else was manufactured boy/girl pop groups.
Donnie Darko is a very good movie. Not great; but very good.
Excelente !
 jgrosch wrote:
Really good version of this song,
better than the original

 
Opinions vary.
 jgrosch wrote:
Really good version of this song,
better than the original

 
almost
Really good version of this song,
better than the original
Happy Christmas,
War is... (oh shit)
.
This was the UK Christmas Number 1 single 2003
it works on many levels but it will always make me think of Christmas.
Perhaps you could follow this with
Ian Gillan - M. A. D. (Mutually Assured Destruction)
I'm doing that myself now, be back in a minute.
cheers
This song burrows in under my skin every. damn. time.

It is the acoustic incarnation of goosebumps. 
 Sasha2001 wrote:

This is absolutely hilarious Proclivities. Each song on this mix is a cover by some no-name artist. What were you doing on Amazon that led you down the rabbit hole to this playlist?
 
Fortunately, I don't remember.
 Timbo080 wrote:
I actually love both the "Tears for Fears" version and this one - great song!

 
Same for me, and I usually tend to be unforgiving to 80's covers, but this one is absolutely outstanding, and this man climbed the mountain from the most risky side with this almost a-cappella version, without betraying the emotion of the original.
Today, 70 years after Hiroshima and Nagasaki...listening to Mad World
Stoner hour. 
Very nice. Thank you. :) 


I leave this here...{#Laughing}
 Timbo080 wrote:
I actually love both the "Tears for Fears" version and this one - great song!

 
Ditto!! 
 Proclivities wrote:

Maybe you need to play some background "shopping" music instead.

 
This is absolutely hilarious Proclivities. Each song on this mix is a cover by some no-name artist. What were you doing on Amazon that led you down the rabbit hole to this playlist?
 rdo wrote:
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}

 
"Dying" is not "dead", thus your confusion.
I actually love both the "Tears for Fears" version and this one - great song!
 rdo wrote:
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}

 
C'mon man, it's a great line in a great song.....don't over analyze.
I love it.
Dreadful.
Tip of the hat to A
He has made a duet with Mylène Farmer on her last tour "timeless", their voices are matching perfectly and this song is just amazingly pretty. I love it !
 rdo wrote:
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}

  So far so good :-)

 rdo wrote:
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}

 
Wow, this comment makes me wish I were dreaming about dying instead.  Bravo!  {#Drool}
 rdo wrote:
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}

 
No. You are wrong about this. One can, and does, dream about dying. Dying is a process that occurs while one is still alive. The moment one dies ends that dying process and begins (possibly) the process of being dead. Furthermore, dreaming itself, being a result of imagination, is not limited by "conscious thought," or by "the real world." One can dream anything one wants. Including "dying."
rdo wrote:
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}

 

Problem is you tend to wake up, before you die from a fall, so you can't see yourself dead in a dream. The song is still cool.
 rdo wrote:
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}

 
you can dream you are dying...you can't dream you are dead....do try to keep up...Actually, having said that, I think you can dream you are dead. Why not?
 Proclivities wrote:

I have no idea why anyone would watch American Idol, but I guess that's just me.

 
No Proclivities, it is not just you.
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
.
.
This is not possible.  You cannot know that you are dying in a dream, unless it is a dream that a doctor gave you a terminal prognosis....You see, if you are dead, you are not conscious, and therefore you cannot dream you are not conscious.  Not possible.  And if you are conscious, you cannot know that you'll be dead.   Let's say you dreamed you were falling to your death from a great height.  First, you cannot know that this fall will result in a death.  Many survive great falls.  But anyway that would not be a dream about dying, but instead a dream about "falling from a great height", or, even better, 'falling off a skyscraper' or 'out of an airplane', because no one would ever describe a dream about "falling from a skyscraper" a "dream about dying".......>>>>> ———  that makes little sense. {#Eek}
 hayduke2 wrote:
in my real world this dreary song just drove a couple of potential "consumers" out of my retail space, I could see their exchanged "gonna barf" glances at the speakers...Lost Sale Jules!

 
Maybe you need to play some background "shopping" music instead.
Everybody in my mushrooming multitude of homeless camps loves this cover...
This artist sings the song like it should be.  The original artist had this a half a tempo faster... however this tempo suits the song.
 hayduke2 wrote:
in my real world this dreary song just drove a couple of potential "consumers" out of my retail space, I could see their exchanged "gonna barf" glances at the speakers...Lost Sale Jules!

 

If your atmosphere is that important to your business, you might consider tailoring your own playlists to the type of presentation you're comfortable with. 
 hayduke2 wrote:
in my real world this dreary song just drove a couple of potential "consumers" out of my retail space, I could see their exchanged "gonna barf" glances at the speakers...Lost Sale Jules!

 
… and that's what the PSD ("Play Something Different") was invented for! So, next time, hit PSD, roll eyes in sight of would-be custumers and save business transaction!
 aaronm wrote:

I'm well familiar with the Lambert version, but I have no idea why anyone says that his version is better than Jules'. I prefer Jules' by a country mile. (And I quite like Adam Lambert in general!)

 
I have no idea why anyone would watch American Idol, but I guess that's just me.

Poignant? Perhaps more like a Poignard dagger.

BTW, Jean-Paul Marat was murdered in his bathtub by Charlotte Corday, who used a poignard.


for some reason, this belongs alongside Sufjan Stevens' "Chicago"
 GTT wrote:
This is truly the saddest song I have every heard.  When my son was younger, he always used to ask when his birthday was going to be.  Then I heard this song, and felt really bad for the little guy (and like I was a really bad parent).  Thankfully, he doesn't ask that question as much these days.

 
What?  Why couldn't you just tell him what day his birthday is?
in my real world this dreary song just drove a couple of potential "consumers" out of my retail space, I could see their exchanged "gonna barf" glances at the speakers...Lost Sale Jules!
There's a difference between songs that express sadness intelligibly, sadness about something, and this maudlin crud.
Tears For Fears will always get my vote on this. Part of what drew me in to them and this song was the percussion and arrangement. THAT against the lyric content has impact.
Iirc there's a version on his album, or is it the Donnie Darko soundtrack where there are drums in the mix.

I 'think' i prefer that version - be good to hear it to find out
This is truly the saddest song I have every heard.  When my son was younger, he always used to ask when his birthday was going to be.  Then I heard this song, and felt really bad for the little guy (and like I was a really bad parent).  Thankfully, he doesn't ask that question as much these days.
Haunting.
 aaronm wrote:

I wouldn't really think of this as a dancing song, y'know?
 
Oh, it is slow dancing, like a slow-mo waltz...  hope you be having a marvelous time right this minute, aaronm...  love this poignant cover...
A great song, a good-to-great version (depending on my mood) but it suffers from what proceeds it tonight: 

Neil Halstead--Tied To You
Supertramp--School
Pink Floyd--Another Brick in The Wall (part 2)
Gary Jules--Mad World

Let's have a pity party!

Neil isn't too bad, but the next two songs I loathe. Thanks, Bill, for lumping the pain into one dose: at least I won't have to listen to those two songs for a while. 


 
 walter_sintenie wrote:
How to really ruin a good song........

all those high ratings : it's sad

take a fine song, turn your voice to "pathetic" and you will be honored.{#Cry}

please, take a good listen, and then listen to Tears for Fears : that's the only way to bring this song!

so : please play the original !!!!

 
Way, way disagree. This one really creates and holds a mood perfectly suiting the words. Odd that it really isnt like other material he does, but he definitely got this right.
How to really ruin a good song........

all those high ratings : it's sad

take a fine song, turn your voice to "pathetic" and you will be honored.{#Cry}

please, take a good listen, and then listen to Tears for Fears : that's the only way to bring this song!

so : please play the original !!!!
{#Daisy}{#Meditate}{#Daisy}
I thought I was listening to Michael Stipe. Wrong again.
 ProjectGemini07 wrote:
 subgyro wrote:
Any time I ever hear this song...



 
me too sir {#Bananajam}
epic video
Jules certainly gets credit for dusting off this beautiful song.
...Oh, this is certainly a good song, but is passed too many times... I'm sick of it!!! {#Frustrated}
 aspicer wrote:
 A very fine point!  And I second the Pale Shelter!



 
I second the seconder.  Let's hear Pale Shelter please!!!
(But I love this cover by GJ of Mad World!)
Smeagol's cover...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INfnfP4wU8

Interesting transition from Another Brick In The Wall...
O-V-E-R-P-L-A-Y-E-D
if i never hear this again it will be too soon
{#Frustrated}
moving from 3 -> 2
 Lazarus wrote:

Everybody in my mushrooming multitude of churches be dancing buck ass naked all across the holy moly world like B.F. Skinner...  we love this splendiferous cover...  love sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll...

 
I wouldn't really think of this as a dancing song, y'know?
 madhatter wrote:
Hate this cover!!!  The original Tears for Fears song with the upbeat re-mix is way better!!! Please i beg you don't play this song on a monday. I already want to CRY because its monday!!!!

 
I'll have to hear the original.  This is THE version I know.  Good song, IMHO.  But, yeah about Mondays-the worst.   Bury me deep today.
Hate this cover!!!  The original Tears for Fears song with the upbeat re-mix is way better!!! Please i beg you don't play this song on a monday. I already want to CRY because its monday!!!!

Everybody in my mushrooming multitude of churches be dancing buck ass naked all across the holy moly world like B.F. Skinner...  we love this splendiferous cover...  love sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll...
I had to get a piano just to learn how to play this song....  {#Music}
Haunting melody. I heard it first time in "Donie Darko" movie. It hit me like a train. Slow train.
So sad...crying!
 subgyro wrote:
Any time I ever hear this song...


A friend once described this song as the song she would commit suicide to if she were to do so. 
gives me chills every single time.
Very good stuff.  
 aspicer wrote:
 A very fine point!  And I second the Pale Shelter!



 
I would vote for "Memories Fade" if I had the choice.  Roland's vocals are so much stronger than Kurt's.
If only I could give this a zero!
{#Stop} 
Bump.... Not sure what is tougher / cooler, the Star Tattoo on Gary's fist, or this song.



zepher wrote:


 


 bluejay08003 wrote:
Wow!  You guys really favor the cover version--no plays of the original in over six years!  It's a disappointment that you followed the Gary Jules cover with "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," a lesser TfF song in my book.  While I'm at it, let me plug "Pale Shelter" again. 

Screenshot 2:27a.m. EDT 13Aug2013

  A very fine point!  And I second the Pale Shelter!


Really an incredible cover!  So different yet similar and powerful just in a different way.....great!
Would it hurt to play the Tears version?
 TomSweetwater wrote:
This song fit so well with Donny Darko that the it's impossible to imagine with any other track. Forever linked in my mind.

 

This. Best movie-song combination ever
 amoreena wrote:
If we're going to play covers, how about the version Adam Lambert sang on American Idol?  I know, I know, American Idol......but the soaring range he added to the end nailed the melancholy desperation of this song.  And I PROMISE I will never suggest another version of any other song from American Idol to be played on RP.  I'm just sayin, the kid can sing.....

 
I never watched that season of American Idol, so I went to Youtube to check this out. After watching 4 of his videos, and his version of Mad World, I realized I'd never get that 30 minutes of my life back.
 amoreena wrote:
If we're going to play covers, how about the version Adam Lambert sang on American Idol?  I know, I know, American Idol......but the soaring range he added to the end nailed the melancholy desperation of this song.  And I PROMISE I will never suggest another version of any other song from American Idol to be played on RP.  I'm just sayin, the kid can sing.....

 
I'm well familiar with the Lambert version, but I have no idea why anyone says that his version is better than Jules'. I prefer Jules' by a country mile. (And I quite like Adam Lambert in general!)
If we're going to play covers, how about the version Adam Lambert sang on American Idol?  I know, I know, American Idol......but the soaring range he added to the end nailed the melancholy desperation of this song.  And I PROMISE I will never suggest another version of any other song from American Idol to be played on RP.  I'm just sayin, the kid can sing.....
I remember the first time I heard this version was in a commercial for one to those apocalyptic war video games. 


Love it   
 Proclivities wrote:

It's just a different take on the song, somewhat more pensive and melancholy than the original.  The lyrics of this song are far from cheery or upbeat and the "tempo and drive" of the original are not "destroyed" - they're just not employed.  I prefer the original, but this is an interesting take.

 
I never heard the original, that I know. This is so lovely and melancholy.
Wow!  You guys really favor the cover version--no plays of the original in over six years!  It's a disappointment that you followed the Gary Jules cover with "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," a lesser TfF song in my book.  While I'm at it, let me plug "Pale Shelter" again. 

Screenshot 2:27a.m. EDT 13Aug2013
Just gloomy enough for my tastes.
It keeps getting better as I listen. 

"The dreams I have of dying are the best I've ever had."   Spooky truth.
 BobbyCat wrote:
The original is so much better I can't believe we have to hear this version at all. Morover, the tempo and the drive of the song is completely destroyed.

Bill??

 
It's just a different take on the song, somewhat more pensive and melancholy than the original.  The lyrics of this song are far from cheery or upbeat and the "tempo and drive" of the original are not "destroyed" - they're just not employed.  I prefer the original, but this is an interesting take.