[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
R.E.M. — Losing My Religion
Album: Out Of Time
Avg rating:
8

Your rating:
Total ratings: 2150








Released: 1991
Length: 4:24
Plays (last 30 days): 1
Oh life, it's bigger
It's bigger than you
And you are not me
The lengths that I will go to
The distance in your eyes
Oh no, I've said too much
I set it up

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no, I've said too much
I haven't said enough

I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

Every whisper
Of every waking hour
I'm choosing my confessions
Trying to keep an eye on you
Like a hurt, lost and blinded fool, fool
Oh no, I've said too much
I set it up

Consider this
Consider this, the hint of the century
Consider this, the slip
That brought me to my knees, failed
What if all these fantasies come
Flailing around
Now I've said too much

I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

But that was just a dream
That was just a dream

That's me in the corner
That's me in the spotlight
Losing my religion
Trying to keep up with you
And I don't know if I can do it
Oh no, I've said too much
I haven't said enough

I thought that I heard you laughing
I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try

But that was just a dream
Try, cry, why try
That was just a dream
Just a dream
Just a dream, dream
Comments (314)add comment
The words of this song helped me get through the diagnoses of my third child with microcephaly, cerebral palsy, epilepsy and legally blind and that was jut the start. The words are just what a parent goes through, the choosing of confession trying to figure what went wrong, the spotlight that the doctors put you and y our child through, the doctors saying consider this, consider that,  losing your religion when healing does not appear, the lengths that you will be going through, did I say to much, and trying to keep an eye on your child. But overall, you see your child trying and that is what gets you through.  
          
         
 Tomasni wrote:
Only 5 - Decent to me
 
I'm curious as to why you feel the need to provide us a running list of your ratings for so many songs.  Those who are interested can go look up your ratings.
Only 5 - Decent to me
Every time I hear this song I remember Weird Al's special edit of the video - particularly on the "consider this" part.
Ah nostalgia! {#Hungry}
Fantastic song, strange video to accompany it!

Another impressive showcase of the FLAC lossless files with this track.  I've heard this song a hundred times, maybe more, and boy....I don't think I ever really noticed the hand claps in this song.  Kinda neat how a familiar song can become interesting again when you notice something (kinda how I heard Pink Floyd over the many years.)

Kudos again, BillG!  PEACE and Long Live RP!!


Fantastic, evocative song! Always makes me recall our Morning Lift-Op Meetings at A-Basin, Spring of '91, when this broke upon the scene in a huge way on the radio and MTV. We used to love to sing, That's me in the SPOT... LIGHT before making some tasty turns.
Apparently the music video for this song was banned in Ireland because of the idea that “losing my religion” had an actual religious connotation. It doesn't, in the region where R.E.M. comes from, it is merely an expression that means “losing one's temper”.
Still makes me cry.  Had just listened to this back in 94 when I heard my best friend had committed suicide.  Not the fault of the track, which I love, but the words give me such sad shivers.
REM have a lot of great music but this song for some reason is my favourite.  Never get tired of this.

 
 Byronape wrote:

May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage...

 

 
Got the T shirt.
One of the songs I love hearing 5 times a year. Soul baring, honest, brave. And you can sing along to it. No downside!
{#Naughty}
 The_Walrus wrote:
Doesn't age well, and played far too often.

 
I hate this song. Unfortunately for me, I listen to RP so much my login expires and by the time I can find the password, it has moved on so I can't hit the PSD button in time.  Maybe the fact you can't get it out of your head has been the misguided reason for popularity.
 The_Walrus wrote:
Doesn't age well, and played far too often.

 
Absurd. I suppose the mandolin dates it as an early-90s song?
Nah, it's a classic by any normal measure. 
 lemmoth wrote:

The_Walrus wrote:
Doesn't age well, and played far too often.

  
Great songs, played once or twice a week are not played to often.   
 
Great songs are great songs. I grew up on this album and this band. I might not seek this song out more than a couple times a year, but it will always bring a smile to my face when it shows up.
 The_Walrus wrote:
Doesn't age well, and played far too often.

 
Great songs, played once or twice a week are not played to often.   
The narrative around this song is that it was a surprise hit. That it doesn't have a chorus and a mandolin is the main instrument. But it WAS the first single from this much-anticipated album for a major label, so several folks must have thought it was going to be a HUGE hit. And it was.

Love this groovy song... this is an excellent article from yesterday—

REM's Mike Mills: 'To expose yourself, warts and all, was very daunting'


REM

REM … "We never did things as we were supposed to do," says Mike Mills (left).


Doesn't age well, and played far too often.
I'm here being saved from my first ever double 1 in years of RP listening.  That is a really great button.  How can you stay upset when you can change to the next tune.
I think I've heard Bill play this version, as well. It's amazing what a difference a key makes. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KmiIq2-m8

But as much as I love so much of what REM has released through the years, I reluctantly agree with the people who say they're tired hearing it. It's good, but not their best work and it got sooooooooo much airplay in the 90s. 
Geez,these guys are so awful. it's one of the major reasons I can't leave RP on at night anymore.

 

 


 Otomi wrote:


Source: https://c.buyoly.com/stella-178-what-if-lg.jpg

 


 itaish wrote:
Is it a coincidence that the release year of this album is not shown? Truly out of time...

 
"...We've traced the call... it's coming from inside the house!"
Is it a coincidence that the release year of this album is not shown? Truly out of time...


Source: https://c.buyoly.com/stella-178-what-if-lg.jpg

still marvelous...  still love this song soooo much...
 

Everybody in my church be dancing...  love this song...
 
If you have not seen this, you have to watch.  They auto-tuned this song to a major key... strange !
https://boingboing.net/2013/01/21/rems-losing-my-religion.html

Everybody in my church loves this song...
 
Classic but I don't want to hear it anymore!!
 Blastcat900 wrote:
once a month is indeed enough.. how many times can a guy lose his religion?
come on, just ONCE....
 
I've lost my keys many times, and don't even ask how many times I've lost the remote control for the TV.  My religion...I'm not sure about that; I think it's in a box in the attic...maybe not.
 Poacher wrote:
I am actually finding my religion - Pastafarianism.
 
May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage...

 

the doctor, nurses, and mid-wife in the delivery room were playing music as my 2nd little wrangler was preparing for her birth.  low and behold, losing my religion comes on, and sweet little abigail cheyenne came into this beautiful world.  i've always loved this song, but that brought it into a whole new realm.  definitely not just a dream.  unforgettable.  {#Cowboy}


It's a great song but I really don't need to hear it again.
 e_b wrote:


What are you talkign about—this came out in 91'
 
Must have been some other mundane, hum drum, monotone R.E.M song. Sorry for the mistake but it was 20 some years ago. Go Buckeyes!


i tink i tought i taw a putty tat! {#Tongue}
 valerie wrote:
I put this on a few ¨mixed tapes¨ for significant others during my high school 80´s. Ahh, the things that seemed so important then. Kinda like this song.
 

What are you talkign about—this came out in 91'
I put this on a few ¨mixed tapes¨ for significant others during my high school 80´s. Ahh, the things that seemed so important then. Kinda like this song.
I am actually finding my religion - Pastafarianism.
 GuiltyFeat wrote:
Still great, but it might be better if I didn't hear it again for about 30 years.
 
There are many better R.E.M. songs that are more off the beaten path. I can hear this on top 40 radio anytime, but RP is great for digging into the deeper cuts. Dig, Bill, dig!
Still great, but it might be better if I didn't hear it again for about 30 years.
Sorry, I Hate this song.


We be dancing...  love it...



 
Too much airplay for this song here in the Netherlands... Can't hear this anymore!
Thanks Bill for adding the PSD button!
Ugh. TGFTMB.
(Thank god for the mute button.) 
 sirdroseph wrote:


Thank you, I don't know why that simple concept is so hard for some to understand.{#Rolleyes}
 
Probably because for me a truly great song like this doesn't diminish after loads of plays and a song that does in my view wasn't truly great - a similarly simple point of view.  If I have voted 10 (and I have very often) it is not for how I used to feel about a song but how I feel about it now.  To get to a point where I didn't want to hear this I would have to be locked in a room with the sort of knob that puts a cd single on repeat and leaves it playing for a long, long, time.
 Byronape wrote:

Ummm...  I think you might be missing the point.  Even the best song on the planet gets old when played too much.  While it doesn't get any less good in a technical sense, the joy of listening to it is sucked out of it.  While the pleasure the song brings to hear and how good it is really are different things, I think it's fair to assume that the poster doesn't mean to say that the song is bad because they hear it all the time, but instead they don't want to hear it anymore because they no longer enjoy it.  
 

Thank you, I don't know why that simple concept is so hard for some to understand.{#Rolleyes}
once a month is indeed enough.. how many times can a guy lose his religion?
come on, just ONCE....
 lemmoth wrote:

This sentiment - frequently posted here on the RP boards - is complete and utter nonsense.

...

A song is not any less good just because you've heard it alot. it just can't be.

 
Ummm...  I think you might be missing the point.  Even the best song on the planet gets old when played too much.  While it doesn't get any less good in a technical sense, the joy of listening to it is sucked out of it.  While the pleasure the song brings to hear and how good it is really are different things, I think it's fair to assume that the poster doesn't mean to say that the song is bad because they hear it all the time, but instead they don't want to hear it anymore because they no longer enjoy it.  


marvelous...  love this song soooo much...

 


This song is soooo good it puts a spring in my step this winter night...

 
Never had a religion to loose,however today I gained one !
I now belong to the church of..A Good Song Is Always A Good Song. {#Yes}
 albatross wrote:
Once a good song, by over playing, has not helped it hold up over time; a cliche. 
 
This sentiment - frequently posted here on the RP boards - is complete and utter nonsense.

The quality of a song should have absolutely no relation to how much or how little it has been played on terrestial or internet radio, MTV or VHI, or used in commercials or movies - even for the individual personal perspective - which is of course subjective.

Lets distinguish the more passive activity of radio listening - whether terrestial or internet - with the more active effort of programming your Ipod or whatever musical delivery device you may be using. I can see how in a more active mode, one of the reasons for not choosing to listen to a song you feel is "good" at a given moment may be that you may prefer to listen to another "good" song  that they haven't heard as often.

Whereas the passive radio experience-is one where you will listen to the full range of choices provided by the DJ - and when a "good" song comes on you should just enjoy it.  If you truly believe a song is "not good" then i can understand turning the radio off.

A song is not any less good just because you've heard it alot. it just can't be.


 bokey wrote:


 REM used to get played in elevators, but so many people were climbing out the hatch on top and cutting the cable in an attempt to escape that they've been banned by the Otis Corporation.
 
 

Otis! I love Otis elevators!


Nobody in my hotel room ever imagined that a radio station could be soooo good...  everybody loves Radio Paradise...

this song is a great classic...


 

Everybody in my hotel room loves this song...
 
This song is now a cliche' of a cliche'. I honestly don't even know if it's good or not it is so tainted.{#Sad}


I'll dance to this...


 
 sirdroseph wrote:

That's how I sees it.{#Yes}
  Great to listen to as well....{#Clap}


 bokey wrote:
 REM used to get played in elevators, but so many people were climbing out the hatch on top and cutting the cable in an attempt to escape that they've been banned by the Otis Corporation. 

{#Roflol} I disagree with your sentiments, but applaud the delivery :)

This song always makes me think of being a wallflower at college discos, watching the girls I fancied rotten getting off with other guys whilst I felt sorry for myself. Sad, I know :(

I'm not sure what I was thinking rating this an 8.  It's a 10!


This is the song that got them into the bigtime...  what a classic...  love it...

 
This one always recalls a special feeling i had when i was a little kid and when this was a hit... Wonderful song!

9
Gotta tap a toe...  just gotta.... {#Bananajumprope}
 bokey wrote:


 REM used to get played in elevators, but so many people were climbing out the hatch on top and cutting the cable in an attempt to escape that they've been banned by the Otis Corporation.
 
 
you been Redding too much lately.



 REM used to get played in elevators, but so many people were climbing out the hatch on top and cutting the cable in an attempt to escape that they've been banned by the Otis Corporation.
 




What an incredible classic...  love it...

 
Heard it way too much, but still is very enjoyable. Its a HIT.
Too much whiny nasal singing, too much "every song sounds the same", too much reworking one dimensional REM melody lines, song after song from them. I had hoped these guys would be a one hit wonder when they first showed up... now, it just hurts my ears. Just... too much REM - for too long.
 albatross wrote:
Once a good song, by over playing, has not helped it hold up over time; a cliche. 
 
That's how I sees it.{#Yes}
This is my last 10.  I swear to god!
its a car drive  by rain feeling song
<yawn> tired, old and overplayed. 3 => 2
No, thanks!

NEXT, please!!!
"This song is about not having the nerve to confess a love for someone. Losing his "religion" or temper over the frustration of it all."

And maybe his frustration/anger is even greater since his love is of the forbidden homosexual kind.

 thediceareloaded wrote:
so "every waking hour, choosing my confessions"  is also a southern expression?

I don't know, but maybe he is playing with the ambivalent meaning of that expression "loosing my religion"?
 
Danimal174 wrote:


It's funny that the title of this song caused so much controversy, because it's not about religion at all. "Losing your religion" is a southern expression about losing your temper and doing or saying things that are "un-Christian".
 

 
That part is a play on words.  This song is about not having the nerve to confess a love for someone.  Losing his "religion" or temper over the frustration of it all.

But one need only look to the video to see they're playing with a more literal interpretation of some of the lyrics.

Great song from a great album.  They were at their creative peak.
 HazzeSwede wrote:
When all religions are lost,,I will be laughing ! {#Biggrin}
#9.
 
  And bump this one up to 10 !

 rtwingo wrote:

Absolutely perfect, overplayed or not.

 


Yes, I agree...


 

Absolutely perfect, overplayed or not.



REM1 by ~Ali-photos
Alena Rebova  ©2008-2010 ~Ali-photos

REM Praha 17092008


Looks like 'somebody' likes this album {#Sunny}
Once a good song, by over playing, has not helped it hold up over time; a cliche. 
 dmax wrote:


The period where America's best band transitioned to a giant steaming heap of self-important mediocrity.
 

You're talking about U2, right? Because this set up the best trio of albums from a band as I think has ever been recorded, the high point being Automatic For the People in the middle...

Like Republicans, I'll never understand the post-80s REM haters...


(and yes I know U2 isn't an American band, but if you want to talk about bands that have descended into mediocrity after peaking in the late 80s/early 90s...)
 romeotuma wrote:


This is the song that broke R.E.M. into the big time...  before this, they were just an alternative college circuit band...  this really is a great song...
 

The period where America's best band transitioned to a giant steaming heap of self-important mediocrity.


Yessss...  love it...




We be dancing...


When all religions are lost,,I will be laughing ! {#Biggrin}
#9.

Ahhh, this song takes me back to my college days in SoCal.  Good times, good times...{#Good-vibes}
 BluEyes wrote:

perzactly or something like that

I feel like I'm song~stalking you since I keep seeing you in all of the songs that I peek into.

Knock that off!  {#Roflol}
 

It means you have very good taste...  this song is excellent...  {#Angel}


 romeotuma wrote:


profound...  love it...
 
perzactly or something like that

I feel like I'm song~stalking you since I keep seeing you in all of the songs that I peek into.

Knock that off!  {#Roflol}
 martinelle wrote:
I absolutely hate this song.  It is repetitive and annoying.  I have to mute it until the agony goes away.  The worst part is that it sticks in your head.  I would much rather hear "Fat Bottom Girls" or "Oh Well" or just about anything, except of course "Puff the Magic Dragon".
 
Dang, P te MD is not on the playlist, must upload.
Prepare to mute Martinelle!  {#Silenced}



This is the song that broke R.E.M. into the big time...  before this, they were just an alternative college circuit band...  this really is a great song...


 floydoftherocks wrote:
WOW i've never heard this before. cannot believe it's REM.
 
:Falls out of chair:



profound...  love it...


WOW i've never heard this before. cannot believe it's REM.
 dingusbother wrote:
Kind of a letdown after The Shins ...

 
Shallow

so "every waking hour, choosing my confessions"  is also a southern expression?

I don't know, but maybe he is playing with the ambivalent meaning of that expression "loosing my religion"?
 
Danimal174 wrote:


It's funny that the title of this song caused so much controversy, because it's not about religion at all. "Losing your religion" is a southern expression about losing your temper and doing or saying things that are "un-Christian".
 

I absolutely hate this song.  It is repetitive and annoying.  I have to mute it until the agony goes away.  The worst part is that it sticks in your head.  I would much rather hear "Fat Bottom Girls" or "Oh Well" or just about anything, except of course "Puff the Magic Dragon".
 BKardon wrote:

I really like the song "Belong" from this album.  Just brilliant.

 

Yes, this album has a lot of great stuff on it...  I still have the original (obsolete) cassette...

 WayUpNorth wrote:
My dad is a depression-era devout Catholic.  That said, he totally loves this song including the video.  To me, that speaks volumes about the brilliance of this song.  I'm getting off the soap box now. 
 

It's funny that the title of this song caused so much controversy, because it's not about religion at all. "Losing your religion" is a southern expression about losing your temper and doing or saying things that are "un-Christian".
 dingusbother wrote:
Kind of a letdown after The Shins ...

 

Oops, I was enjoying it until you told me what I should think. I'll try to get it right on my own next time - can't expect you to always be available for help.

Kind of a letdown after The Shins ...

A Classic. I do not even know if i like/dislike it, it just IS.
A part of myself already, I guess.

I love old REM but this makes Barry Manilow sound like Bethoven.
 cactus7709 wrote:
a bit overplayed but still sounds great
 

maybe for you but this is the first time I've heard it on RP. I loved it yonks ago, and I still do.
a bit overplayed but still sounds great
Timeless!!
This song is overplayed.  Ther first album was the best.  Free Europe. Free Europe!

 romeotuma wrote:


This is the song that really got them international attention...  there's a lot of great stuff on the album...

 
I really like the song "Belong" from this album.  Just brilliant.



This song is soooo good for the ears...  from a great album...


 Kittee wrote:
This song, when it came out, was amazing. It still is, but back then, wow.
 
I agree. I have been a fan of theirs since '82 (seriously), and when this came out I felt they had "shifted gears" into a whole new level of excellence. Just an unbelievable song. {#Clap}
My dad is a depression-era devout Catholic.  That said, he totally loves this song including the video.  To me, that speaks volumes about the brilliance of this song.  I'm getting off the soap box now. 
I agree with what others here have said; this was one of R.E.M.'s finest moments. Unoverplayable.

Ten ten ten.
my favorite song of REM< from my school life and when i was reeding "The WarLord of Mars" by Edgar Berrous beatiful time was
Fast Eddie and I used to play this as an acoustic duet. I played Buck's mandolin part on a 12-string. We loved this song.
Damn near perfect album from start to finish.