[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]
Wailing Souls — Mother & Child Reunion
Album: Live On
Avg rating:
6.1

Your rating:
Total ratings: 669









Released: 1994
Length: 3:50
Plays (last 30 days): 2
No, I would not give you false hope
On a strange and mournful day
But a mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away

Oh, little darling of mine
I can't for the life of me
Remember a sadder day
I know they say let it be
It just won't work out that way
In the course of a lifetime runs
Over and over again

No, I would not give you false hope
On a strange and mournful day
But a mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away

Oh, little darling of mine
I just can't believe my soul
Though it seems strange to say
I never feel laid so low
In such a mysterious way
In the course of a lifetime runs
Over and over again

No, I would not give you false hope
On a strange and mournful day
But a mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away

Over and over again

No, we would not give you false hope
On a strange and mournful day
But a mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away

Oh, little darling of mine
I can't for the life of me
Remember a sadder day
I know they say let it be
Let it be, let it go

No, we would not give you false hope
On a strange and mournful day
But a mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away

No, we would not give you false hope
On a strange and mournful day
But a mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away

Only a motion, only a motion away
But the mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away
Comments (45)add comment
Hello there and a huge "Merci" to Rebecca and Bill from France! I've been a listener for years, it's my first comment and least I can do is  tell you how grateful I am, especially in these very peculiar days... Stay safe, everybody.
About this song,  although I like this cover, I couldn't help but prefer Randy California's one, with the Fabulous Twirly Birds. Raaaah lovely!!!
 unclehud wrote:

I am also puzzled by this phrase.  I assumed it was a "motion" as something introduced by attorneys in family court, so as to propose a Mother and Child reunion.
 
The motion is a forkful of chicken and egg chow mein travelling from plate to mouth. Paul Simon is on record as having been inspired, for this song, by a plate of Chinese food....
 fedtho wrote: 

  Jah.  


About the loves and hates: I don't think anyone should ever be blamed for liking something.

Now, I truly believe that stating that there is not enough reggae in Simon's original implies that there is more than one definition of reggae; maybe marycrichards had some more cosmopolitan, recent "reggae" in mind, like the kind the Wailing Souls are playing here.
I for myself hardly recognize the music in this version as having been influenced by reggae at all.

I discovered "Mother and child..." in my early teens and already felt that the quality of the musicians and the way this thing was grooving were overwhelming. I hadn't heard any other reggae than Bob Marley back then, but I think I could have done worse for references...
I always, always at how the drummer, the organ player and the bass player nail their rythm section when I listen to the song (aside from melting with the melody and the lyrics, as mysterious as those might be.)

Regardless of how anyone feels about  the song, I'll go out on a limb here and state that Simon's original recording of "Mother..." is pretty much offering quintessential reggae and not lacking it ! {#Sunny}

...and, even though I've known that fact for quite some time, I don't need to quote Wikipedia telling us that "The song was recorded at Dynamic Sounds Studios at Torrington Bridge in Kingston, Jamaica, with Jimmy Cliff's backing group." to back up my claim...
 
 Stephen_Phillips wrote:
In 1887 Oscar Wilde wrote: "We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language".

As true today as it was then.

Over this side of the pond we would only hear a phrase like  'only a motion away' to refer to going to the toilet or alternatively a Parliamentary procedure.

When I hear it in this song I know that Paul Simon was not referring to either of the above so I assume he means only a small gesture or a small step away?

Maybe he only used that word to rhyme or fit in with the phrasing.

Anybody else puzzled by this?


 
I am also puzzled by this phrase.  I assumed it was a "motion" as something introduced by attorneys in family court, so as to propose a Mother and Child reunion.
Such sad lyrics when you're a dog lover, too.
 jimtyrrell wrote:
Good cover but not, a " made it their own". a 7 for me. Keep those covers coming RP.
 
I'll go +1 on this to a 6, though the sentiment you express is true to me too, just might be that you like the original more than I do....still Long Live RP and all the covers and originals played here!!
Good cover but not, a " made it their own". a 7 for me. Keep those covers coming RP.
Excellent remake.
 JrzyTmata wrote:
I like it! the song always had a reggae flavor to it. this cover fits perfectly.
 
Up!
Here, here! 

 
fedtho wrote:

About the loves and hates: I don't think anyone should ever be blamed for liking something.

Now, I truly believe that stating that there is not enough reggae in Simon's original implies that there is more than one definition of reggae; maybe marycrichards had some more cosmopolitan, recent "reggae" in mind, like the kind the Wailing Souls are playing here.
I for myself hardly recognize the music in this version as having been influenced by reggae at all.

I discovered "Mother and child..." in my early teens and already felt that the quality of the musicians and the way this thing was grooving were overwhelming. I hadn't heard any other reggae than Bob Marley back then, but I think I could have done worse for references...
I always, always at how the drummer, the organ player and the bass player nail their rythm section when I listen to the song (aside from melting with the melody and the lyrics, as mysterious as those might be.)

Regardless of how anyone feels about  the song, I'll go out on a limb here and state that Simon's original recording of "Mother..." is pretty much offering quintessential reggae and not lacking it ! {#Sunny}

...and, even though I've known that fact for quite some time, I don't need to quote Wikipedia telling us that "The song was recorded at Dynamic Sounds Studios at Torrington Bridge in Kingston, Jamaica, with Jimmy Cliff's backing group." to back up my claim...
 

In 1887 Oscar Wilde wrote: "We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language".

As true today as it was then.

Over this side of the pond we would only hear a phrase like  'only a motion away' to refer to going to the toilet or alternatively a Parliamentary procedure.

When I hear it in this song I know that Paul Simon was not referring to either of the above so I assume he means only a small gesture or a small step away?

Maybe he only used that word to rhyme or fit in with the phrasing.

Anybody else puzzled by this?


This is not an improvement.
 Jelani wrote:
I like this sooooo much more than that other guy's version.
 
Perhaps a polka or klezmer version of this tune might work...perhaps not.
 Jelani wrote:
I like this sooooo much more than that other guy's version.

 
You mean the other guy who actually wrote the song?
I like this sooooo much more than that other guy's version.
It would be better without the woodpecker in the background.
No.
disliked Paul Simon's original when it came out and then grew to love it.  Not sure this one will grow on me to the same extent {#Undecided}
 thewiseking wrote:
Lemme get this straight; little nebbish cuts a lame little ditty to sound Caribbean and then a Caribbean band covers it, lamely.
Two wrongs do not make a right. 

 
The wiseking....er, I don't think so.
 marycrichards wrote:
Although I love Paul Simon, I always thought his version lacked a little reggae "umph" I think this remake is how it should be done.
 
About the loves and hates: I don't think anyone should ever be blamed for liking something.

Now, I truly believe that stating that there is not enough reggae in Simon's original implies that there is more than one definition of reggae; maybe marycrichards had some more cosmopolitan, recent "reggae" in mind, like the kind the Wailing Souls are playing here.
I for myself hardly recognize the music in this version as having been influenced by reggae at all.

I discovered "Mother and child..." in my early teens and already felt that the quality of the musicians and the way this thing was grooving were overwhelming. I hadn't heard any other reggae than Bob Marley back then, but I think I could have done worse for references...
I always, always at how the drummer, the organ player and the bass player nail their rythm section when I listen to the song (aside from melting with the melody and the lyrics, as mysterious as those might be.)

Regardless of how anyone feels about  the song, I'll go out on a limb here and state that Simon's original recording of "Mother..." is pretty much offering quintessential reggae and not lacking it ! {#Sunny}

...and, even though I've known that fact for quite some time, I don't need to quote Wikipedia telling us that "The song was recorded at Dynamic Sounds Studios at Torrington Bridge in Kingston, Jamaica, with Jimmy Cliff's backing group." to back up my claim...
As with the Waterboys' November Tale just prior to this remake, they were very listenable for the first few minutes and then they both went on and on which is too bad since I liked both.  Had to take them down a point or 2 just for redundancy.
Lemme get this straight; little nebbish cuts a lame little ditty to sound Caribbean and then a Caribbean band covers it, lamely.
Two wrongs do not make a right. 
She's good.
Terrible.
 msymmes wrote:
Better than the original.  Nice cover !

 
Agreed, by a mile
Better than the original.  Nice cover !
1st time in almost a decade?  It looks like the comments from 2006 must have scared our programmer.
i don't think you can blame the 80s for being the 80s. lots of wacky (dare i say cheesy) instrumentation on the poppy side of reggae those days--but as this cover proves, it's not all bad. great song, this has the spirit of the original with fun flavah. 8.
"Wailing souls?" Sounds like a good description of those of us who have to listen to dreck like this.
I like it! the song always had a reggae flavor to it. this cover fits perfectly.
So here we have reggae being influence by an artist who was influenced by reggae. Seem like an odd conundrum... one that should have been left alone...
I like it! 7.
I like reggae. I like the original version of this song. But this is the kind of overproduced junk that gives reggae a bad name. It is, unfortunately, all too typical of the Wailing Souls.
:crashcomp: :crashcomp: :crashcomp: :crashcomp:
fuh2 wrote:
I've always hated this tune. Now I love it.
No way! I agree with ploafmaster 100% on this one. It's WAY too overproduced and artificial. It's been hollowed out. The soul's been slickened out of it. Yay for Paul Simon. Boo for these yahoos.
if only i was outside, on a patio under an umbrella, shaded from the afternoon sun, sipping on a mai tai right now. :sunny:
gatesofthenorth wrote:
This group was definitely ambitious in attempting to remake such a wonderful song.
It was ambitious. While I appreciate the attempt, it pales a bit in comparison to the original to me. Points for trying.
Man, I really, really, really prefer Paul Simon's version, but this isn't a total loss. I just think that the over use of fake instruments here was unfortunate. Had they used real drums (or at least, acoustic drums - I don't know whether this is an electric kit) I would have liked it much more.
I've always hated this tune. Now I love it.
marycrichards wrote:
Although I love Paul Simon, I always thought his version lacked a little reggae "umph" I think this remake is how it should be done.
:moon: :wave: :nyah: :-({|= :drummer: :D
This group was definitely ambitious in attempting to remake such a wonderful song.
Quote: Originally Posted by ksb: I\'ve always loved this tune. Good remake. I\'ve always loved this tune. Bad remake. I\'ve always hated this tune. Now I hate the remake, too.
Although I love Paul Simon, I always thought his version lacked a little reggae \"umph\" I think this remake is how it should be done.
Originally Posted by ksb: I've always loved this tune. Good remake.
I've always loved this tune. Bad remake.
I\'ve always loved this tune. Good remake.