[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Counting with Pictures - yuel - Sep 23, 2020 - 12:18am
 
Race in America - R_P - Sep 23, 2020 - 12:06am
 
The American Dream - kcar - Sep 22, 2020 - 11:49pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - gtufano - Sep 22, 2020 - 11:28pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - GeneP59 - Sep 22, 2020 - 10:07pm
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - GeneP59 - Sep 22, 2020 - 9:59pm
 
Trump - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 9:22pm
 
Australia has Disappeared - haresfur - Sep 22, 2020 - 9:16pm
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 8:57pm
 
Evolution! - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 8:50pm
 
*** PUNS *** ASTRONOMY - oldviolin - Sep 22, 2020 - 8:43pm
 
Supreme Court: Who's Next? - kurtster - Sep 22, 2020 - 8:23pm
 
Name My Band - Antigone - Sep 22, 2020 - 4:04pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 2:45pm
 
how do you feel right now? - miamizsun - Sep 22, 2020 - 2:14pm
 
Brazil - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 1:57pm
 
Quotes: Your Favorite Comedians - miamizsun - Sep 22, 2020 - 1:39pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - Sep 22, 2020 - 12:35pm
 
Looting & vandalism isn't protest - R_P - Sep 22, 2020 - 10:12am
 
2020 Elections - miamizsun - Sep 22, 2020 - 9:10am
 
RP Daily Trivia Challenge - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 22, 2020 - 7:49am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - islander - Sep 22, 2020 - 6:08am
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Sep 21, 2020 - 9:29pm
 
Things I'd LIKE to find at my house. - Antigone - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:31pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - Steely_D - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:13pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Sep 21, 2020 - 2:09pm
 
RP Main Mix on TuneIn unavailable? - DianaLipka - Sep 21, 2020 - 9:56am
 
Best Song Comments. - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Sep 21, 2020 - 5:37am
 
Trolls at RP - Steely_D - Sep 20, 2020 - 4:41pm
 
Facebook Tips - Ohmsen - Sep 20, 2020 - 2:37pm
 
WikiLeaks - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 2:12pm
 
American Justice - miamizsun - Sep 20, 2020 - 1:08pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 12:34pm
 
Environment - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:56am
 
The Obituary Page - R_P - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:35am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:16am
 
Lyrics That Remind You of Someone - oldviolin - Sep 20, 2020 - 9:15am
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - sirdroseph - Sep 20, 2020 - 7:29am
 
All Dogs Go To Heaven - Dog Pix - miamizsun - Sep 20, 2020 - 6:46am
 
Republican Party - sirdroseph - Sep 20, 2020 - 6:14am
 
FLAC Streaming - gsbaronnier - Sep 20, 2020 - 3:24am
 
Anti-War - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 4:57pm
 
How's the weather? - Antigone - Sep 19, 2020 - 3:48pm
 
Immigration - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 2:17pm
 
TV shows you watch - KurtfromLaQuinta - Sep 19, 2020 - 12:57pm
 
China - R_P - Sep 19, 2020 - 11:07am
 
Favorite Quotes - sirdroseph - Sep 19, 2020 - 9:46am
 
Thank you, Bug. - miamizsun - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:53am
 
Things You Thought Today - Antigone - Sep 19, 2020 - 6:04am
 
Canada - R_P - Sep 18, 2020 - 7:37pm
 
Tech & Science - R_P - Sep 18, 2020 - 6:20pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 2:05pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - miamizsun - Sep 18, 2020 - 1:59pm
 
Bad Poetry - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 11:05am
 
Private messages in a public forum - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:21am
 
honk if you think manbird and OV are one and the same ent... - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 10:14am
 
Buddy's Haven - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 9:14am
 
What The Hell Buddy? - oldviolin - Sep 18, 2020 - 8:10am
 
Drop the Puck! NHL Lockout Ends! - black321 - Sep 18, 2020 - 6:06am
 
Today in History - Ohmsen - Sep 18, 2020 - 5:26am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 9:04pm
 
Signs o' the Apocalypse in the news... - Steely_D - Sep 17, 2020 - 6:57pm
 
Soliciting ideas to bring about a more humane world - miamizsun - Sep 17, 2020 - 5:06pm
 
Rock Movies/Documentaries - Steely_D - Sep 17, 2020 - 1:39pm
 
HALF A WORLD - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:57am
 
What are you listening to now? - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:53am
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:49am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:43am
 
Women in the World - miamizsun - Sep 17, 2020 - 11:02am
 
More Stuff Schlabby Doesn't Do - oldviolin - Sep 17, 2020 - 9:57am
 
Nina Simone... - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 8:42am
 
Brass Against? - jamesat43 - Sep 17, 2020 - 8:13am
 
Helpful emergency signs - Proclivities - Sep 17, 2020 - 7:38am
 
Breaking Bad - sirdroseph - Sep 17, 2020 - 5:55am
 
Economix - R_P - Sep 16, 2020 - 11:56pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » NEED A COMPUTER GEEK! Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231  Next
Post to this Topic
buddy

buddy Avatar

Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 15, 2020 - 1:27am



 kurtster wrote:
 

You’ve out-geeked me!


kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 14, 2020 - 8:44pm

 buddy wrote:

Wow Kurt, I’ve been a technology professional for 35+ years & I don’t think I’ve run across NT for about 15 years at least. Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2004 I think. You really are old school, vinyl records & NT.  You wouldn’t happen to have a dusty bottle or two of Macallan’s 25 laying around there, would you?  ðŸ˜‰

 
Nope, no booze of any kind laying around the house, although I've been tempted lately to get some Gentleman Jack.

Broccoli on the other hand is plentiful.

All the programs I have and need run on XP.  I have hard copies of all of them.  I got them back when hippie was teaching me the ropes, which was 2007.  I built the puter from scratch especially for XP as a music server, I guess maybe nearly 10 years ago.  First effort and it lit up the first time I pushed the button, too.  Used a gamer's box and run it with the case sides off and very, very open to keep everything as cool as possible.  It is quite stable and does everything I need musically for ripping, editing, playing and burning.  I have 4 X 2 TB WD Black's for hard drives and a partitioned Samsung SSD for my C drive with all of my program files in the other partition, makes it pretty quick even with only 4 Gb's of RAM with an I - 5 Pentium QC processor.  That and I can re image the C and not have to reinstall my programs when I do that.  It's hardwired to my receiver in the living room on the other side of the wall of the office / studio via a 25 foot toslink optical cable.  Pure wav played in Sound Forge 8.0 to the DAC in my receiver. Or foobar.  Sounds good enough for me.  I also listen to 16 bit / 48 khz wav files in the car using up to a 128 g USB thumb drive.  Luvs, my Pioneer deck.  It is still all about the music regardless of everything else.

I'm on a Dell Win 7 pro for the net.  The wife has a Dell Win 10 all in one touchscreen and I have a Dell Win 10 laptop, barely used, somewhere.  Then there is my old liquid cooled Vaio XP Media edition which was my original multimedia puter.  It still works, I think.  Been a couple of years since I lit it up.
{#Cheers}
buddy

buddy Avatar

Location: Rocky Mountains
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 14, 2020 - 7:52pm



 kurtster wrote:
 

Wow Kurt, I’ve been a technology professional for 35+ years & I don’t think I’ve run across NT for about 15 years at least. Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2004 I think. You really are old school, vinyl records & NT.  You wouldn’t happen to have a dusty bottle or two of Macallan’s 25 laying around there, would you?  ðŸ˜‰


kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 14, 2020 - 6:50am

 kcar wrote:


 kurtster wrote:
Q :  Is there a program out there that will capture the live on screen action plus audio ?  For Windows XP ?

I have seen music videos on You Tube where the maker will post what is the live playback of the wav files in a music studio such as Audacity or Sound Forge.

I would like to make an audio / video capture of the editing of wav files with the corresponding sound in real time.  Essentially what I am doing is redrawing the wav files with a mouse pencil tool like you might do with a CAD program ?

I would like to make a tutorial video of this process.

Thanks in advance.
 

I googled "screencasting software for windows xp". I can't vouch for any of the hits or mentioned applications. I think you'll see slim pickings for software compatible with the ancient XP.

https://www.google.com/search?...
You might want to check out VLC for its screenrecording/screencasting capabilities. VLC is reliable and open-source, normally used for playing back rare and abandoned video file formats. But apparently you can record video clips, Webcam video and take screenshots! I don't know if it records audio at the same time but I think most screencasting apps will do that. No idea if VLC is XP-compatible for your needs but it wouldn't surprise me.
Google  hits for "Can I record video with VLC?"

One of the first hits:

How to Enable VLC's Best Hidden Features

 
Thanks.  I wasn't sure of the term used, which evidently is screencasting.  I'm a total idiot when it comes to video.  Audio on the other hand, I do well with.

I have VLC installed on the XP already.  I had no idea.  I'll give it a try first and see if I can get it to work.  My music computer is XP.  That is all it does and runs software which still works very well.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Jun 13, 2020 - 2:00pm



 kurtster wrote:
Q :  Is there a program out there that will capture the live on screen action plus audio ?  For Windows XP ?

I have seen music videos on You Tube where the maker will post what is the live playback of the wav files in a music studio such as Audacity or Sound Forge.

I would like to make an audio / video capture of the editing of wav files with the corresponding sound in real time.  Essentially what I am doing is redrawing the wav files with a mouse pencil tool like you might do with a CAD program ?

I would like to make a tutorial video of this process.

Thanks in advance.
 

I googled "screencasting software for windows xp". I can't vouch for any of the hits or mentioned applications. I think you'll see slim pickings for software compatible with the ancient XP.

https://www.google.com/search?...


You might want to check out VLC for its screenrecording/screencasting capabilities. VLC is reliable and open-source, normally used for playing back rare and abandoned video file formats. But apparently you can record video clips, Webcam video and take screenshots! I don't know if it records audio at the same time but I think most screencasting apps will do that. No idea if VLC is XP-compatible for your needs but it wouldn't surprise me.


Google  hits for "Can I record video with VLC?"

One of the first hits:

How to Enable VLC's Best Hidden Features


kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Jun 13, 2020 - 1:33pm



 Ohmsen wrote:
kcar wrote:

FWIW: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-vpn-service/


One might consider using DNS encryption, such as dnscrypt-proxy plus Tor, on top of using a VPN (depending on one's privacy needs).  Generally speaking, there seems to be no reason to trust any VPN provider more than any IS provider. 

 

Sorry I didn't see this sooner...

I believe that Firefox has a checkbox option that enables DNS over Https. Cloudfare and some other DNS providers provide the same encryption. Some VPNs have an option of using Tor on top of their services.

I seriously disagree with your contention that "any VPN provider" deserves only the same level of trust you should give any ISP.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: drifting
Gender: Male


Posted: Jun 13, 2020 - 10:52am

Q :  Is there a program out there that will capture the live on screen action plus audio ?  For Windows XP ?

I have seen music videos on You Tube where the maker will post what is the live playback of the wav files in a music studio such as Audacity or Sound Forge.

I would like to make an audio / video capture of the editing of wav files with the corresponding sound in real time.  Essentially what I am doing is redrawing the wav files with a mouse pencil tool like you might do with a CAD program ?

I would like to make a tutorial video of this process.

Thanks in advance.
Ohmsen

Ohmsen Avatar

Location: Valhalla
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 15, 2019 - 9:39am

kcar wrote:

FWIW: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-vpn-service/


One might consider using DNS encryption, such as dnscrypt-proxy plus Tor, on top of using a VPN (depending on one's privacy needs).  Generally speaking, there seems to be no reason to trust any VPN provider more than any IS provider. 

Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Oroville, Ca
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 13, 2019 - 1:06pm



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 Manbird wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


ok but should i air drop with manbird?

his back office has a heavy russian accent

and after looking around for a tablet which will be used for media consumption i keep coming back to the bare bones ipad

it just looks like a no brainer

edit: i just wish it had a kick stand like my surface
 

Accent Oh, that's the hobo who makes my pudding. Yeah, you can airdrop with me.
All the years I've had airdrop turned on I've never used it. Seems like a
useless appendage to me. I have a desktop, Iphone 7 and a 2nd genipad and
none of them ever airdrop anything between them. Frankly I don't know
what it's for. 
I use a Logitech slim combo case/keyboard which has a nice kickstand and pen holder
and also charges itself from the ipad.
 
Take a photo with your phone. Share it, and your desktop should show up as an option. Tap that and away the photo goes. Or if you're actually doing work on your iPad, you save a file and airdrop it over to the desktop. Otherwise you have to email it or dropbox it or some bullshit like that.


 
Thanks, I'll play with that.

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Dec 13, 2019 - 12:45pm



 kcar wrote:
 
Interesting article.  Thanks kcar.  I might have missed when you first posted it.  That article is now bookmarked.  

I went ahead and ordered a subscription to Private Internet Access which is well regarded by wirecutter but not recommended because PIA has yet to allow a 3rd party audit.

I toyed with the idea of putting PIA on the wireless router but many recommend against that.  The other option is a standalone PC to support the VPN, ideally in a Unix-based language such as OpenBSD.  A buddy helped set up something similar for a firewall a couple of decades ago.  That solution would require considerable investment on my part.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 13, 2019 - 4:32am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
Take a photo with your phone. Share it, and your desktop should show up as an option. Tap that and away the photo goes. Or if you're actually doing work on your iPad, you save a file and airdrop it over to the desktop. Otherwise you have to email it or dropbox it or some bullshit like that.
 

i think that's correct

as i understand it this is especially handy if you're a creator and not tethered to a desk

a personal icloud of sorts

gathering material/video/pics/etc.

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 12, 2019 - 4:10pm



 Manbird wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


ok but should i air drop with manbird?

his back office has a heavy russian accent

and after looking around for a tablet which will be used for media consumption i keep coming back to the bare bones ipad

it just looks like a no brainer

edit: i just wish it had a kick stand like my surface
 

Accent Oh, that's the hobo who makes my pudding. Yeah, you can airdrop with me.
All the years I've had airdrop turned on I've never used it. Seems like a
useless appendage to me. I have a desktop, Iphone 7 and a 2nd genipad and
none of them ever airdrop anything between them. Frankly I don't know
what it's for. 
I use a Logitech slim combo case/keyboard which has a nice kickstand and pen holder
and also charges itself from the ipad.
 
Take a photo with your phone. Share it, and your desktop should show up as an option. Tap that and away the photo goes. Or if you're actually doing work on your iPad, you save a file and airdrop it over to the desktop. Otherwise you have to email it or dropbox it or some bullshit like that.


Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Oroville, Ca
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 12, 2019 - 2:13pm



 miamizsun wrote:


ok but should i air drop with manbird?

his back office has a heavy russian accent

and after looking around for a tablet which will be used for media consumption i keep coming back to the bare bones ipad

it just looks like a no brainer

edit: i just wish it had a kick stand like my surface
 

Accent Oh, that's the hobo who makes my pudding. Yeah, you can airdrop with me.
All the years I've had airdrop turned on I've never used it. Seems like a
useless appendage to me. I have a desktop, Iphone 7 and a 2nd genipad and
none of them ever airdrop anything between them. Frankly I don't know
what it's for. 
I use a Logitech slim combo case/keyboard which has a nice kickstand and pen holder
and also charges itself from the ipad.
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 12, 2019 - 1:30pm



 miamizsun wrote:


ok but should i air drop with manbird?

his back office has a heavy russian accent

and after looking around for a tablet which will be used for media consumption i keep coming back to the bare bones ipad

it just looks like a no brainer

edit: i just wish it had a kick stand like my surface
 
I'm getting a bare bones ipad... half the price and about 10x more capable than our 2nd generation iPad. 

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 12, 2019 - 12:53pm

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:
That's interesting but I wouldn't call it "important." Few people have "accept from anyone" turned on. I do, at work, because customers and the boss can just put stuff on my machine and I don't care, but on my phone, no way.
 

ok but should i air drop with manbird?

his back office has a heavy russian accent

and after looking around for a tablet which will be used for media consumption i keep coming back to the bare bones ipad

it just looks like a no brainer

edit: i just wish it had a kick stand like my surface
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 12, 2019 - 11:44am



 miamizsun wrote:
seems to be an important ios update to squash air drop exploit, etc.

that is all
 

That's interesting but I wouldn't call it "important." Few people have "accept from anyone" turned on. I do, at work, because customers and the boss can just put stuff on my machine and I don't care, but on my phone, no way.
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 12, 2019 - 11:30am

seems to be an important ios update to squash air drop exploit, etc.

that is all
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Mar 18, 2019 - 1:43am

 westslope wrote:
Virtual Private Network (VPN)

We just moved to an ISP that offered 120 Mbps down 7 Mbps up.    The former service was an ASDL 15 Mbps down and less than 1 Mbps up.

Now that we have some bandwidth to spare, I was thinking of getting a VPN service for security and privacy.   Thoughts?  

 
 
 
 
FWIW:
 
 
 

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Mar 17, 2019 - 12:59pm

Virtual Private Network (VPN)

We just moved to an ISP that offered 120 Mbps down 7 Mbps up.    The former service was an ASDL 15 Mbps down and less than 1 Mbps up.

Now that we have some bandwidth to spare, I was thinking of getting a VPN service for security and privacy.   Thoughts?  
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 15, 2019 - 4:46am

 westslope wrote:
Tip:    Remove, wipe clean and then re-install Windows apps that have migrated from 32bit to 64bit over the past few years.

Could be my imagination or pure coincidence but I seem to solve problems and improve performance the few times I have done this.  Current OS:  Windows 10 Version 1809; originally Windows 7 Home OEM.

On the HTPC system, all of a sudden , qbittorrent seemed to be eliminating internet access except for torrents and google searches.   This would happen once qbittorrent was loaded.  There was no requirement to start downloading.   So I uninstalled qbittorent, erased all the files, and deleted all the registry entries.  Tedious.  (Coincidentally I removed a number of Win32 malware files but that did not resolve the problem.)

Then I re-installed the most recent stable 64bit version of qbittorrent.   Problem solved.  

Did the same for VLC player and Irfan View a while back.  

 

someone in my circle that consumes a lot of media and does some online shopping keeps getting knocked offline

to boot they know less than nothing about tech and don't run and update maint programs i've installed

all of this is on a severely abused laptop  

my solution was something i've done in the past

just put them on IOS

it has certainly made my life easier

windows is still my workhorse both personally and professionally

because software

android on my phone


Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231  Next