[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Joe Biden - haresfur - Jan 22, 2021 - 6:16pm
 
Sade Vinyl Unboxing & New Album - kurtster - Jan 22, 2021 - 6:09pm
 
COVID-19 - Manbird - Jan 22, 2021 - 4:27pm
 
The News - how much of it is fake??? - Manbird - Jan 22, 2021 - 4:16pm
 
Sweet horrible irony. - westslope - Jan 22, 2021 - 3:44pm
 
Counting with Pictures - GeneP59 - Jan 22, 2021 - 2:17pm
 
Post your favorite 'You Tube' Videos Here - black321 - Jan 22, 2021 - 2:11pm
 
The Obituary Page - ScottFromWyoming - Jan 22, 2021 - 1:40pm
 
Canada - R_P - Jan 22, 2021 - 1:15pm
 
RPeep News You Should Know - rhahl - Jan 22, 2021 - 1:03pm
 
Trump - R_P - Jan 22, 2021 - 12:38pm
 
Name My Band - GeneP59 - Jan 22, 2021 - 12:33pm
 
Media Bias - R_P - Jan 22, 2021 - 12:26pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Jan 22, 2021 - 12:14pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - oldviolin - Jan 22, 2021 - 11:37am
 
New Music - R_P - Jan 22, 2021 - 10:30am
 
Race in America - R_P - Jan 22, 2021 - 10:13am
 
Finally, some news that we can all smile about - miamizsun - Jan 22, 2021 - 9:54am
 
A motivational quote - miamizsun - Jan 22, 2021 - 9:46am
 
Baseball, anyone? - Coaxial - Jan 22, 2021 - 9:30am
 
Things You Thought Today - islander - Jan 22, 2021 - 9:24am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - GeneP59 - Jan 22, 2021 - 8:26am
 
Best movies ever? - haresfur - Jan 22, 2021 - 7:19am
 
Freedom of speech? - haresfur - Jan 22, 2021 - 7:13am
 
Our tolerance for opposing views - kurtster - Jan 22, 2021 - 5:27am
 
Today in History - Red_Dragon - Jan 22, 2021 - 5:10am
 
Great Old Songs You Rarely Hear Anymore - miamizsun - Jan 22, 2021 - 4:58am
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - miamizsun - Jan 22, 2021 - 4:43am
 
What's so funny about peace love and understanding? - miamizsun - Jan 22, 2021 - 4:04am
 
Liberal please, - sirdroseph - Jan 22, 2021 - 3:56am
 
New Music on Radio Paradise - whatshisname - Jan 22, 2021 - 3:56am
 
Republican Party - kurtster - Jan 21, 2021 - 7:44pm
 
Bernie Sanders - haresfur - Jan 21, 2021 - 4:00pm
 
Know your memes - rhahl - Jan 21, 2021 - 2:44pm
 
Social Media Are Changing Everything - Ohmsen - Jan 21, 2021 - 1:17pm
 
That's good advice - rhahl - Jan 21, 2021 - 11:24am
 
Terrorist Watch! - sirdroseph - Jan 21, 2021 - 10:02am
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jan 21, 2021 - 9:01am
 
honk if you think manbird and OV are one and the same ent... - oldviolin - Jan 21, 2021 - 8:18am
 
What Makes You Sad? - sirdroseph - Jan 21, 2021 - 4:35am
 
Poetry Forum - ScottN - Jan 20, 2021 - 7:56pm
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Jan 20, 2021 - 7:54pm
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 6:25pm
 
Yes - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 6:07pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 5:39pm
 
Derplahoma! - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 5:34pm
 
Immigration - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 5:29pm
 
Manbird's Stones - Isabeau - Jan 20, 2021 - 12:58pm
 
Trump Lies - R_P - Jan 20, 2021 - 12:11pm
 
Knikken Knokken Sorensen Filter Users Thread - miamizsun - Jan 20, 2021 - 10:30am
 
RP Rock Mix: Repetiion - jeglenn - Jan 20, 2021 - 10:20am
 
Latin Music - rhahl - Jan 20, 2021 - 8:44am
 
Vocabulary Quiz - rhahl - Jan 20, 2021 - 7:39am
 
American Justice - sirdroseph - Jan 20, 2021 - 7:12am
 
Philosophy (Meaty Metaphysical Munchables!) - sirdroseph - Jan 20, 2021 - 6:29am
 
What Makes You Cry :) ? - haresfur - Jan 19, 2021 - 4:14pm
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - oldviolin - Jan 19, 2021 - 2:04pm
 
Google Docs (Docs, Spreadsheets, etc) - ScottFromWyoming - Jan 19, 2021 - 1:54pm
 
Outstanding Covers - rhahl - Jan 19, 2021 - 10:47am
 
Baby words that stuck in your family - Isabeau - Jan 19, 2021 - 10:02am
 
Got my Goat - GeneP59 - Jan 19, 2021 - 9:47am
 
Capital Punishment - cc_rider - Jan 19, 2021 - 7:57am
 
It's the economy stupid. - sirdroseph - Jan 19, 2021 - 7:25am
 
Mellow mix in Vorbis? Please. - lagstrom64119 - Jan 19, 2021 - 5:20am
 
Anti-War - sirdroseph - Jan 19, 2021 - 4:36am
 
Mixtape Culture Club - sirdroseph - Jan 19, 2021 - 4:10am
 
By jimminy! Cricket! - haresfur - Jan 19, 2021 - 12:31am
 
What The Hell Buddy? - Coaxial - Jan 18, 2021 - 9:50pm
 
What makes you smile? - Antigone - Jan 18, 2021 - 3:49pm
 
The death penalty on trial? - black321 - Jan 18, 2021 - 1:06pm
 
What did you have for dinner? - Antigone - Jan 18, 2021 - 10:27am
 
Fox Spews - rgio - Jan 18, 2021 - 8:49am
 
Language - rhahl - Jan 18, 2021 - 7:35am
 
Jam! - rhahl - Jan 17, 2021 - 1:10pm
 
Regarding dogs - rhahl - Jan 17, 2021 - 11:10am
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » General Discussion » Critical Thought
Post to this Topic
jahgirl8

jahgirl8 Avatar



Posted: Dec 21, 2019 - 12:39am



 hayduke2 wrote:

That is SUPER Proclivities!
Image result for cesar romero joker surfing


Saw this fun set earlier this morning "Holy Hang Ten!!!"  : )

 
❥ look at those cute surfboards! ❥
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 20, 2019 - 12:09pm

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:

 islander wrote:
Two spoilers teasers geezers in the same review. 
 
 

ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 20, 2019 - 11:18am



 islander wrote:


 
 

Two spoilers teasers in the same review. 
 


islander

islander Avatar

Location: Seattle
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 20, 2019 - 9:36am



 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:


i've recently read #2 Factfulness by Hans Rosling - easy read, fantastic book

i would probably read #1 by kahneman - because he's been around for a long time and i've heard him speak

if i felt comfortable with the subject then i'd go #5 by chatfield - because deep detail

#4 is short and direct so it might be a good audio book
 

I checked out the audiobook of Factfulness yesterday and damn that guy needs an editor. Or the publisher had him fluff it up. Each chapter so far could have been a really fun blog post but (on audio) it seems to loop back on itself (repetition isn't by definition bad, especially when delivering new material) and the guy reading it is taking his time, so I don't know if I will finish in this format. I almost ended up in a ditch a couple of times.

Plus it assumes the reader didn't get any of the "questions" right. Which is fine, for the first few, but he should give me credit for being at least as smart as a chimpanzee and stop acting like I'm going to be surprised by the big reveal that each chapter has formatted into it: that common knowledge on the question is wrong.

I have a bit of a quibble with him demanding statistical literacy, and then using pure numbers when they support his argument, and proportions when those work better.

The 4 "layers" (vs developed/developing 2 layers of civilization) is interesting but 3 chapters in and he's already defending it against people who must be telling him that it puts all of "us" in the same group as Saudi kings and Bill Gates etc. and so we shouldn't gripe so much; and/or he's making it seem 1,2,3 are so far removed from any poverty in the US that there is no poverty in the US. So anyway, in trying to make us/me feel better about things, he's sort of pissing me off. Even though he does a good job of addressing those problems people have challenged him on. 

He just got into demographics/population and I did have to back it up and re-listen; I've read this explanation of where our population is headed and the fallacy of the straight line, but the audiobook of it was hard to follow the first time. 

Anyway, I'm sure I'm absorbing enough of it that I'll spout some figures and philosophies from it at parties, so hey! 

 

Two spoilers in the same review. 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 20, 2019 - 7:55am



 miamizsun wrote:


i've recently read #2 Factfulness by Hans Rosling - easy read, fantastic book

i would probably read #1 by kahneman - because he's been around for a long time and i've heard him speak

if i felt comfortable with the subject then i'd go #5 by chatfield - because deep detail

#4 is short and direct so it might be a good audio book
 

I checked out the audiobook of Factfulness yesterday and damn that guy needs an editor. Or the publisher had him fluff it up. Each chapter so far could have been a really fun blog post but (on audio) it seems to loop back on itself (repetition isn't by definition bad, especially when delivering new material) and the guy reading it is taking his time, so I don't know if I will finish in this format. I almost ended up in a ditch a couple of times.

Plus it assumes the reader didn't get any of the "questions" right. Which is fine, for the first few, but he should give me credit for being at least as smart as a chimpanzee and stop acting like I'm going to be surprised by the big reveal that each chapter has formatted into it: that common knowledge on the question is wrong.

I have a bit of a quibble with him demanding statistical literacy, and then using pure numbers when they support his argument, and proportions when those work better.

The 4 "layers" (vs developed/developing 2 layers of civilization) is interesting but 3 chapters in and he's already defending it against people who must be telling him that it puts all of "us" in the same group as Saudi kings and Bill Gates etc. and so we shouldn't gripe so much; and/or he's making it seem 1,2,3 are so far removed from any poverty in the US that there is no poverty in the US. So anyway, in trying to make us/me feel better about things, he's sort of pissing me off. Even though he does a good job of addressing those problems people have challenged him on. 

He just got into demographics/population and I did have to back it up and re-listen; I've read this explanation of where our population is headed and the fallacy of the straight line, but the audiobook of it was hard to follow the first time. 

Anyway, I'm sure I'm absorbing enough of it that I'll spout some figures and philosophies from it at parties, so hey! 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 10, 2019 - 8:34am

 ScottFromWyoming wrote:


 miamizsun wrote:
ok the five best books on critical thought

and i've only read one of them

kind of puts things in projective

The best books on Critical Thinking

recommended by Nigel Warburton 

Do you know your straw man arguments from your weasel words? Nigel Warburton, Five Books' philosophy editor and author of Thinking from A to Z, selects five of the best books on critical thinking—and explains how they will help us make better informed decisions and construct more valid arguments.

 
Which have you read and which are you going to read next?

/SantasHelper

 

i've recently read #2 Factfulness by Hans Rosling - easy read, fantastic book

i would probably read #1 by kahneman - because he's been around for a long time and i've heard him speak

if i felt comfortable with the subject then i'd go #5 by chatfield - because deep detail

#4 is short and direct so it might be a good audio book
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 10, 2019 - 7:29am



 miamizsun wrote:
ok the five best books on critical thought

and i've only read one of them

kind of puts things in projective

The best books on Critical Thinking

recommended by Nigel Warburton 

Do you know your straw man arguments from your weasel words? Nigel Warburton, Five Books' philosophy editor and author of Thinking from A to Z, selects five of the best books on critical thinking—and explains how they will help us make better informed decisions and construct more valid arguments.

 
Which have you read and which are you going to read next?

/SantasHelper

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Dec 10, 2019 - 4:31am

ok the five best books on critical thought

and i've only read one of them

kind of puts things in projective

The best books on Critical Thinking

recommended by Nigel Warburton 

Do you know your straw man arguments from your weasel words? Nigel Warburton, Five Books' philosophy editor and author of Thinking from A to Z, selects five of the best books on critical thinking—and explains how they will help us make better informed decisions and construct more valid arguments.

hayduke2

hayduke2 Avatar

Location: Southampton, NY
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2019 - 8:58am

 Proclivities wrote:


 
That is SUPER Proclivities!
Image result for cesar romero joker surfing

Saw this fun set earlier this morning "Holy Hang Ten!!!"  : )

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2019 - 8:29am



 Red_Dragon wrote:


 Proclivities wrote:

 
How's the weather?

 
Here in this part of NC it's clear but breezy now.  About 3 hours east of here they apparently had 100+ mph winds and some tornadoes overnight.  Pretty serious flooding along the coasts of both Carolinas.  The barrier islands, which are farther east and north of here, got clobbered this morning - flooding, no power.  Residents of Ocracoke Island (ones who ignored the evacuation orders) are apparently stranded out there.

Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Sep 6, 2019 - 7:59am



 Proclivities wrote:

 
How's the weather?

Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 6, 2019 - 7:35am


Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: May 23, 2019 - 7:05am


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: May 22, 2019 - 10:06am


Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: May 22, 2019 - 9:08am


sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 6:58am

 Proclivities wrote:


 sirdroseph wrote:
 

True, but unfortunately that picture doesn't really need a time or place in its title.

 
This is true but the digital age of instant mass communication and social media clearly exacerbates and intensifies the phenomenon. 
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 6:40am



 sirdroseph wrote:

 

True, but unfortunately that picture doesn't really need a time or place in its title.
sirdroseph

sirdroseph Avatar

Location: Yes
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 25, 2019 - 6:31am


haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 24, 2019 - 2:20pm



 Proclivities wrote:
Breathless

 

oddly satisfying 
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 24, 2019 - 6:48am

Breathless